What's new

Multi-directional hair - "horns" above ears

I'm not sure how to ask this - I searched but again, its probably a terms issue.

The area "north of my ears", about the general corner of my head on both sides where it would seem there are multiple hair growth directions - I always have a problem getting that area smooth. Seems that no matter what direction I choose, I can't get it down to as smooth as the rest of my head. I end up buffing to no satisfaction. I can feel the hair direction with my hand, but going ATG over it still leaves me with some stubble there.

What's "the secret"?

I shave my head, and generally it is much easier to get BBS on my head than on my face, maybe because hair is softer than whiskers.

The only place I cannot seem to get completely BBS (can feel very faint stubble ATG) is on the nape of my neck, just below and behind my ears.

I just make a couple of additional (light) passes and let it go. It can't be seen, only I know it's there, and I'll be back in 2-3 days to do it all over again.

Not much help, but I don't obsess over it.

Is your trouble spot visible to others, or just something only you can feel?

I have found that changing the angle of the razor can help. Also, I have found that it is easier to get closer by swapping hands - left hand, left side, right hand, right side. Seems easier to get the correct angle than using my dominant hand for the "wrong" side of my head.

I shave my head, and generally it is much easier to get BBS on my head than on my face, maybe because hair is softer than whiskers.

The only place I cannot seem to get completely BBS (can feel very faint stubble ATG) is on the nape of my neck, just below and behind my ears.

I just make a couple of additional (light) passes and let it go. It can't be seen, only I know it's there, and I'll be back in 2-3 days to do it all over again.

Not much help, but I don't obsess over it.

Is your trouble spot visible to others, or just something only you can feel?

I have found that changing the angle of the razor can help. Also, I have found that it is easier to get closer by swapping hands - left hand, left side, right hand, right side. Seems easier to get the correct angle than using my dominant hand for the "wrong" side of my head.
Yep, pretty much just as you say. Trying different angles, hands, etc seems to make it very slightly better, but doesn't make it go away. I'm sure I'm the only one that can tell its there unless my wife were to run her hand over my greasy head (which she does). I want to say I can get rid of it with my Leaf, and if that's the case then it would seem its an angle thing. But I'm not 100% sure that's really true. Seems some razors though are better than others on it. Not sure if that's an angle thing, a head design, or...?

Thanks for the thoughts...

I have two different razors dedicated to head shaves: a Leaf (3-blade) and a Vector.

The Leaf works very well, and gives me a nice very near BBS shave in two passes (XTG and ATG). It's a quick autopilot shave without drama.

The Vector works very well, and gives me the same results, but does require more attention to blade angle. I love it, and it is by no means "fussy", but you do need to be mindful of the angle to get the best result.

I'll add that my Leaf (a great head shaver) has been collecting dust since I got the Vector.

I have two different razors dedicated to head shaves: a Leaf (3-blade) and a Vector.

The Leaf works very well, and gives me a nice very near BBS shave in two passes (XTG and ATG). It's a quick autopilot shave without drama.

The Vector works very well, and gives me the same results, but does require more attention to blade angle. I love it, and it is by no means "fussy", but you do need to be mindful of the angle to get the best result.

I'll add that my Leaf (a great head shaver) has been collecting dust since I got the Vector.
Ya, my Leaf is same, I usually use 2 of the 3 slots in it, and it works well, but I also find myself not reaching for it, preferring my Rex Ambassador or Konsul lately (because they're new). I'm still going through many different razors looking for one that works well for my face, feels good, produces a good shave, and is enjoyable to use. Its close with the Ambassador, but not autopilot...the quest continues :)

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I'm not sure how to ask this - I searched but again, its probably a terms issue.

It's kinda funny. I also use the term "horns" but only in my head. I laughed.

I always have a problem getting that area smooth.

Here's how I approach the horns in the process.

Because of the ways my hair grows and the way the lovely Rex Konsul can respond to them I tend to shave in areas. First WTG on the top of my head from my sagittal crest to about halfway down the skull where the angle changes to vertical (on my skull, I mean); each side. Then WTG on the sides of my head, with one XTG just above the templepieces of my glasses. Then WTG and ATG on the back and neck followed by ATG on the temples and behind the ears and a quick WTG on the cheeks.

Now I'm ready to tackle the horns! Along with a whorl on the right side and a smaller on one the left I also have angle changes in the bone under those spots. As a scrawny old dude I don't have much fat under the skin, either. I'll set the Konsul on "4" for this or use a really light touch with a non-adjustable razor. (I will say a razor/blade combo that gives you really good shaves on the rest will be what you want here; no loose razors!) It needs a bit of aggression and a fresher blade works better.

I paint some lather and take a careful pass from front to back over the spot. Then I paint some lather and take a careful pass from back to front. Finally, I slap on the lather one more time, pick up the washcloth I have lying by the sink and use it for traction while I apply a bit of skin-stretching up or toward the top of my head. Gently -- and I mean gently -- shave upward there and then, knowing how close I am to irritation, I force myself to lay the razor down and call it good.

Sometimes I can feel a little left. I used to get all wrapped around it and scrape away until it was smooth. And very red. Now I just quit. After an hour the skin has hydrated again and it's fine. You just have to know when to quit.

Give that a shot and see how it works for you!

O.H.

Top Bottom