What's new

Mulling a spring/summer soap

I've just 86'd my bowl of Barrister & Mann Seville and was thinking to pick up a new summer soap. I liked Seville but thought I'd shoot for something else. Anyone here try B&M's Cool and Waves? I'm intrigued by Cool but the reviews swing from "smells good" to "too old man-ish." I ordered a sample of each from Maggards, but thought I'd just throw the question out there. I'm basically looking for something citrusy and/or barbershoppy. Which, yes, I know, that was Seville. But I want to broaden my horizons, I guess.

Cool is the Floid Blue homage, so if you've smelled that or the Epsilon or Furbo blue's than you'll have an idea of the scent profile.

88 Chestnut from Declaration Grooming could be another good option, for the scent profile and great performance.

My favourite summer / warm weather soaps are:

-Dr Jon’s Savanah Sunrise - amazing not artificial peach with a bit of garden. Reminds me of home. Like it so much I have the aftershave and EDP
-A&E SoCal Hipster - great fruity and bright scent that just screams summer. I get pineapple and banana
-A&E St Barts - reminds me of the smell of the ocean and tropical air when you wake up in the morning somewhere tropical like Hawaii or the Caribbean
-Dr Jon’s Hydra - Bright and lots of different citrus. If you love citrus, this is your soap
-TOBS Lime Zest cream with Stirling Coconut Lime aftershave 👌 (of note, Stirling Coconut Lime soap smells incredible too but I can’t use it due to an almond allergy)
- Murphy and McNeil Naid - Bright scent that smells like apricot or pear to me

I do enjoy Seville as well and really enjoy First Canadian Shave MFer and Declaration Grooming 88 Chestnut Street that have citrus notes in them as well

Thanks, all. That 88 Chestnut sounds interesting. Looks like it's sold out everywhere, though. Dang.
I have not tried Floid Blue. I have a bottle of Floid's Suave, which I love, but obviously that's not quite the same.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
AdP v3 ( THE colonia)
Czech and Speake Oxford and Cambridge (lavender mint)
Stirling Green, Stirling coconut lime, Stirling grapefruit

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Last summer, I ordered Santa Maria del Fiore Firenze from Italian Barber and was not disappointed. Fortunately, I have plenty left for this summer. I don't think I would call it barbershoppy, but it has an excellent scent.

I've just 86'd my bowl of Barrister & Mann Seville and was thinking to pick up a new summer soap. I liked Seville but thought I'd shoot for something else. Anyone here try B&M's Cool and Waves? I'm intrigued by Cool but the reviews swing from "smells good" to "too old man-ish." I ordered a sample of each from Maggards, but thought I'd just throw the question out there. I'm basically looking for something citrusy and/or barbershoppy. Which, yes, I know, that was Seville. But I want to broaden my horizons, I guess.
Waves is a really nice summer scent. One of my favourites. The splash is excellent as well.

I also like the following for warmer weather:

Stirling island Man
Henri et Victoria Lime
Noble Otter Rawr
Chiselled Face Summer Storm
Noble Otter Orbit
Proraso Green
Wholly Kaw Iced Tea....

... and so on. 👍

I should be getting the Cool and Waves samples soon. I liked the description of the Grooming Dept. 88 Chestnut, but the only place I saw it for sale had the soap/AS combo at $50 shipped - a little more than what I want to spend right now before sampling. That Dr. Jon's looks interesting too - Savannah as in Georgia, by the scent profile. My wife would love the jasmine bit of it. I'll grab a sample of that and the 88 Chestnut when they're back in stock at Maggards.

make it +3 or however many it is for Dr. Jon's Savannah Sunrise. Just got a second puck of it for Christmas. I.just.love.this.soap!

Best non-tallow lather I've ever tried, and one of, if not the best scent I have ever tried. It is peach-forward, but has a fair bit of floral to it, too, including honeysuckle and orange blossom (LOVE!). Just a wonderful scent for anytime of year.

I also like Mystic Waters Lime and Rosalimone as great summer soaps.

Citrusy, this one:

proxy.php

Thanks all. I in the end opted for B&M Cool after receiving the samples today. I have some of the other suggestions on my "to try" list, but given that Cool was a) available and b) I had a $5 credit at B&M, I went for that one. I'm a fan of Floid's Vigoroso/Sauve, so a barbershop Floid's Blue clone seemed intriguing.

Waves I didn't like. The sample had a nicely done scent, but convinced me I just don't like aquatics that much.

Top Bottom