What's new

Muhle

Polsilvers are great in my ROCCA. However, 2 things.
Blade alignment. I find it easy to place the bottom cap on very slightly squint and this give nicks .
Pressure. Don't press at all. I don't grip the end of the handle firmly, and find this let's the razor head glide gently though the lather.

I was going to start a thread for the Rocca to post my impressions but seeing this I figure it's better to post here instead.
I bought recently the black handle version and yesterday had my first shave with it, using a Polsilver Super Iridium.
First off-the looks. It's an elegant razor, handle seems somewhat thick to me, but grippy and comfortable. The semi-glossy stainless steel and the black honeycombed resin go well together. Good tolerances.
The shave? Well, maybe it wasn't such a good idea to use a Polsilver blade. The razor seems pretty aggressive to me, and I know I'm in disagreement with most other members here. Got a few minor nicks and weepers on my chin and moustache area. Also, one interesting thing I noticed while shaving is the fact that it has a totally different-sounding audio pitch/audio feedback than any other razor I've tried so far. Maybe the sound resonates differently due to the razor being stainless instead of brass or zamak.:letterk1: The way the blade was cutting the strands of hair to me kind of resembles a slant. Almost like a scythe shearing action.
Picture from yesterday's shave :View attachment 1101576

Great review!! I predict that things will improve as you ‘dial in‘ that beauty!! :clap: :clap:

I would love to try the Rocca one day, but I don't really need another razor. The best Muhle razor for me is the R89 that is double shimmed under the working blade. NOTHING shaves better for me, and I have about 80 DE and SE razors. I love the looks, the balance, the handle length, and the performance of the double shimmed Muhle R89.

I was going to start a thread for the Rocca to post my impressions but seeing this I figure it's better to post here instead.
I bought recently the black handle version and yesterday had my first shave with it, using a Polsilver Super Iridium.
First off-the looks. It's an elegant razor, handle seems somewhat thick to me, but grippy and comfortable. The semi-glossy stainless steel and the black honeycombed resin go well together. Good tolerances.
The shave? Well, maybe it wasn't such a good idea to use a Polsilver blade. The razor seems pretty aggressive to me, and I know I'm in disagreement with most other members here. Got a few minor nicks and weepers on my chin and moustache area. Also, one interesting thing I noticed while shaving is the fact that it has a totally different-sounding audio pitch/audio feedback than any other razor I've tried so far. Maybe the sound resonates differently due to the razor being stainless instead of brass or zamak.:letterk1: The way the blade was cutting the strands of hair to me kind of resembles a slant. Almost like a scythe shearing action.
Picture from yesterday's shave :View attachment 1101576

Thank you for the review. I'd be curious to know how it shaves for you with a different blade and maybe also after another shave or two

All of the Rocca heads have the same standard threading as most modern DE razors - someone else can chime in on what the actual thread size is. My birch handle was originally part of a V3 and is now matched with a V4 head.

Hi.
Yes. It's an M5 thread.
When i travel and break my 3 piece razors down (any of them), for easier transport, i lock the caps and base plates together when they're off the handle using these wingnuts:

Bolt Base 5mm A2 Stainless Steel Wing Nuts Butterfly Nut DIN 315 M5-10: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LCH0IIE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And as i say, i've yet to find a 3 piece razor's head they don't fit.
Hope that helps.

P

Oh, I see it now. I thought I was looking at the baseplate since the Rocca baseplate has those machined in-set lines but I see now that is actually the blade tab. Hmm, yes, this is consistent with what I read in some other thread. I don't know if that would be a problem for me or not. I guess I'd have to try to be sure, and even then it could only be a problem once over many many shaves. I just know that I really, really don't like nicking my nose. It stings like crazy and looks like the elevator scene from The Shining in my bathroom.

Hi Elon,

I've never had a problem with the blade end tabs cutting me and haven't minded the overhang. I've always thought that where razors are flat across the head ends (like most razors are it seems), the tab exposure is a necessary design compromise. More tab exposure means less safety bar without blade behind it. The amount of safety bar without blade behind limits how close you can shave to obstacles like the nose.

My Muhle R89 and Merkur Progress both have what i'd call standard tab overhang, with the Rocca v4 head showing a lot less.

Interesingly (to me anyway :p ), I did notice that the Rex razors (per the Gibbs they copy) do address this compromise. The ends of the Rex heads are curved so that while they do hide the tabs, the amount of dead safety bar (without blade behind it) is minimised. Maybe you could consider those?

Best

P

I'm still under the first dozen of shaves with my Rocca V4. It is beautifully designed and manufactured, almost an art object. However, I noticed that this razor is very blade-dependent. My first shaves with a Feather blade (which is absolutely fine with me in rather mild razors) were very close and efficient but not without some nicks and unpleasant irritation. The next shaves with Personna Platinum (and apparently after I learnt how to use this razor) were a breeze. This Rocca really sings! Maybe would like it to be more rigid on ATG passes but I'm already spoiled with SE razors, so it's probably good enough for a DE.

For what it's worth, many people, including myself, prefer slightly protruding sides of the blade, because it makes taking out the blade easy. Since the sides of a blade are not sharp, I have never managed to hurt myself with one, and I am clumsier than most.

The sides on the Rocca are protruding for less than half a millimeter. Barely noticeable but it's there for a more controlled grip while assembling/disassembling the head.

Does anyone know the blade gap or blade exposure for the Rocca V4? I've read that Rocca aggressiveness is somewhere between R89 and R41, with R89 having blade gap of 0.76mm according to the blade gap chart, on par with a EJ DE89. R41 is known as very aggressive, but seems to have much less blade gap, but more blade exposure and keeps the blade flat

How does the Rocca compare? And assuming a similar blade is used, approximately what adjustment setting do you think Rocca would correspond to on a Gillette adjustable like the Fatboy? Maybe 4? 5?
The 89 would be a 4, the Rocca a 7 and the 41 a 9.

Had a fabulous shave with my Rocca today.

sotd_23052020.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom