What's new

Muhle STF V1 vs V2 pics?

I wasn't aware that there were two versions. When did V. 2 come out? What is the difference in the two versions?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I asked Muehle years ago when this discussion came up about it first, and they said there is only one version. And yes, they have a black fibre as well, but it is a total different beast, totally different from the STF.
I use their knots for many years, and have never seen a difference at all.

I asked Muehle years ago when this discussion came up about it first, and they said there is only one version. And yes, they have a black fibre as well, but it is a total different beast, totally different from the STF.
I use their knots for many years, and have never seen a difference at all.

So they just changed position of their logo on the handle and people thought it was a V2? Could be... Still it's strange that even specialized shops sell them as "V2". I know the black fiber is different, but there must be a V2 there, because i 've read people complaining about HJM black fiber being floppy and the one time i shaved with mine, wasn't floppy at all. Unless, they have simply increased the density of the fibers in the Rytmo line, giving it more backbone.

So they just changed position of their logo on the handle and people thought it was a V2? Could be... Still it's strange that even specialized shops sell them as "V2"...
not strange at all. it is called marketing. mind you, there is only "v1" r41, isn't it? otherwise muhle would have advertised v2. or not?

not strange at all. it is called marketing. mind you, there is only "v1" r41, isn't it? otherwise muhle would have advertised v2. or not?

regardless, pictures of what is considered to be stf v1 vs vs would be nice. close-ups would be fine as well.

In marketing anything is possible. From what i remember, the "V2" had different product code (ASIN), different logo positioning and apparently, different colouring. I found this, where someone supposedly posted a close up photo of the brushes, where the difference is let's say obvious, but...the photo is now missing:

How do you tell Muhle V1 from V2 fibers

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
There are two ways they set knots. I have seen 19, 21 and 23 with the chrome plated ring (actually, the crimped end of the plastic cup their synthetics are set in). The 25 mm never shows the ring.
I would say the two brushes in the picture are different size. In all the years I have bought knots from Muehle, I only received the 25 mm with out the chrome ring, and the smaller sizes are always with chrome ring, the cup can be either translucent whitish or black (from my experience the 23 was black and 21 and 19 came in the white cup).
The black is a total different fibre, always without the ring and has a black cup.
As I said before, when this V1 and V2 thing came up, I asked and was told there is only one type of the STF material (which are btw hand-tied in Germany and they have a video showing the process on their site).
I attach a couple of pictures here. The one shows the 23 and the 21 side by side, I took it for another Muehle STF post here, then I have one of the 25 mm knot.
The last one shows two knots from one I did remove the cup (to set deeper for loft change for someone) - cup removal was not always successful, so I stopped doing it. This last picture i took 6 years ago, the first one here was just a coupe days ago (side-by-side 23/21).
I had asked them if it possible to obtain 19-23 without the ring, but they said it is not possible.
IMG_4780.JPG
Muehle STF 25 mm.JPG
Muehle Knots Fiber.JPG

There are two ways they set knots. I have seen 19, 21 and 23 with the chrome plated ring (actually, the crimped end of the plastic cup their synthetics are set in). The 25 mm never shows the ring.
I would say the two brushes in the picture are different size. In all the years I have bought knots from Muehle, I only received the 25 mm with out the chrome ring, and the smaller sizes are always with chrome ring, the cup can be either translucent whitish or black (from my experience the 23 was black and 21 and 19 came in the white cup).
The black is a total different fibre, always without the ring and has a black cup.
As I said before, when this V1 and V2 thing came up, I asked and was told there is only one type of the STF material (which are btw hand-tied in Germany and they have a video showing the process on their site).
I attach a couple of pictures here. The one shows the 23 and the 21 side by side, I took it for another Muehle STF post here, then I have one of the 25 mm knot.
The last one shows two knots from one I did remove the cup (to set deeper for loft change for someone) - cup removal was not always successful, so I stopped doing it. This last picture i took 6 years ago, the first one here was just a coupe days ago (side-by-side 23/21).
I had asked them if it possible to obtain 19-23 without the ring, but they said it is not possible.View attachment 962443 View attachment 962444 View attachment 962445

Thanks for the info, Rudy. I have two brushes with the Muhle knot. One from Muhle that I got several years ago and one that you made. The only difference I can see is the size of the knot. Since the Muhle brush is several years older, I wondered when the alleged two versions came out.

20190315_160720~01.jpg

V1 on the left, V2 on the right.

The v1 has thicker fibres that are more crimped and a less dense knot (due to the thicker fibres).

Thanks, nav.

BTW, as regards that newborn. Two bits of advice: First word should be Mommy. At three in their morning that will be obvious. And when that beautiful child begins teething, purchase those teeny mini-bagels. One can be slipped over a small child's thumb. Great teething ring, and it won't fall off.

That is the sum total of my baby raising wisdom.

Thanks for posting the picture. I know little about these brushes and synthetic knots, in general. I was somehow expecting to see two Muhle brushes, side by side, and cannot help but notice the one on the left is an EJ.
The only conclusion I can draw from the posted picture is that EJ brush has a different knot than Muhle.
From what I have seen so far Muhle brushes are quite a bit more expensive than EJ, but than this is true with their razors as well. Is there anywhere confirmed that the two companies share the same STF knots?

VV, they share same 89 razor heads, and same STF knots. Having said that, please note Jagger may set the knots deeper, for slightly less loft.

Top Bottom