What's new

Muhle STF dethroned

I was hoping one of you fine gentleman or another that has reknotted a handle with a 24mm Roswell Grey knot could provide some help. I was curious what loft you set your 24mm PAA Roswell Grey knot at or what loft you think performs well? I know YMMV but gives me a starting point to play with. The two 24mm brushes with the Roswell Grey knot PAA sells have different lofts, 53mm and 56mm so just curious what you loft you use and how you like it. APShave Co suggested around a 50mm and I found it didn’t splay well at all and was awkward for bowl lathering for the first but until the lather was mostly done then it was a little better, plus as you can see from the pictures below, their knot is noticeably smaller then the Roswell Grey.

For those curious in the difference, I’m replacing a 26mm APShave Co flat / fan hybrid with the 24mm PAA Roswell Grey fan / bulb hybrid. There is a difference in color and not sure if it is because the APShave Co is a flat / fan hybrid but it is noticeably smaller then the one size down PAA knot. I haven’t used the PAA knot yet so can’t say yet if they perform the same. In the photos, the left is the 26mm APShave Co, the right is the 24mm PAA

View attachment 1290819

View attachment 1290823

Thanks in advance for any assistance 👍
For what it's worth, I set it at approximately 50 mm (I'm just holding it up against a ruler so it could + or - a couple of mm).

STF dethroned?...ok going on the opposite direction! Each time I try another synthetic, I come right back to the STF.

Of course, value for money is not a strong point of STF but performance and face feel of the XL version beats out any synthetic I've ever used...and I've used a LOT!!

STF dethroned?...ok going on the opposite direction! Each time I try another synthetic, I come right back to the STF.

Of course, value for money is not a strong point of STF but performance and face feel of the XL version beats out any synthetic I've ever used...and I've used a LOT!!
Oh they're great brushes... No question about it. I personally find the performance about equal to the PAA. PAA only takes it with points for value. Otherwise they'd both be tied for second place under my all time favorite brush: A Maggard Timberwolf knot in a custom handle. The perfect density, in my opinion.

Interesting. I just got a Timberwolf/Build Your Own from Maggard. Pretty happy with it. What handle did you put the TW knot in?
Oh they're great brushes... No question about it. I personally find the performance about equal to the PAA. PAA only takes it with points for value. Otherwise they'd both be tied for second place under my all time favorite brush: A Maggard Timberwolf knot in a custom handle. The perfect density, in my opinion.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs

Same here. PAA runs behind a couple of custom brushes. Favorite is a Leo Frilot with a Timberwolf. Next in line is a Wolf Whiskers Tuxedo. Then the PAA brushes. But for an off the shelf brush that costs less than 20 clams, you can’t beat them.

Interesting. I just got a Timberwolf/Build Your Own from Maggard. Pretty happy with it. What handle did you put the TW knot in?
A hand turned wooden one that my friend @LJS
made and sent to me. Very cool dude. He could give you more information than I could. Here's a picture...
IMG_20210511_143041106.jpg

I wasn't sure it would work because it's a 22mm knot in a 26mm-ish hole, but I absolutely love the results. It's a BAD-killer.

The XL being the 25mm one that's no longer made? I heard that one is considerably more dense than the 19, 21 and 23mm variants. I want to get either a 23 or 25mm to compliment my 19mm and I heard the 25 is quite different whereas the 23 is just a bigger version of the 19mm

Can anybody verify this?

The XL being the 25mm one that's no longer made? I heard that one is considerably more dense than the 19, 21 and 23mm variants. I want to get either a 23 or 25mm to compliment my 19mm and I heard the 25 is quite different whereas the 23 is just a bigger version of the 19mm

Can anybody verify this?

Muhle XL is discontinued but EJ still makes them.

Indeed, the XL is much more dense whereas the 23mm is just a bigger version of the 21mm.

The XL is a totally different beast and is 100% worth the upgrade from the other sizes!

I do not have the PAA Peregrino but, I kept hearing how nice it was so I bought the Phantom Aerolite (same knot in different color and 26mm). The Phantom Aerolite is great!
I also have the Amber Aerolite, Atomic Rocket, Solar Flare, and Green Ray.
The Solar Flare is very soft and splays very easily, it doesn’t have the backbone, it is like a cashmere knot, really enjoyable for face lathering and very different from the Phantom/Peregrino.
The Atomic Rocket is also different, it is like a Pilsoft/Plisson knot. Soft and great latherer.
I enjoy my PAA brushes, retro inspired, great handles, excellent performance, make great lather in bowl, scuttle, or on face and reasonably priced.
Which one of these paa brushes splays better, less spring and backbone?

I do not have the PAA Peregrino but, I kept hearing how nice it was so I bought the Phantom Aerolite (same knot in different color and 26mm). The Phantom Aerolite is great!
I also have the Amber Aerolite, Atomic Rocket, Solar Flare, and Green Ray.
The Solar Flare is very soft and splays very easily, it doesn’t have the backbone, it is like a cashmere knot, really enjoyable for face lathering and very different from the Phantom/Peregrino.
The Atomic Rocket is also different, it is like a Pilsoft/Plisson knot. Soft and great latherer.
I enjoy my PAA brushes, retro inspired, great handles, excellent performance, make great lather in bowl, scuttle, or on face and reasonably priced.
What PAA is the softest with the least backbone?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
If it’s not the Solar Flare/Nexus knot, I’d be flabbergasted. It looks nigh-identical to APShaveCo’s Cashmere knot which is a very soft brush without excessive backbone.

Has anyone tried both the Muhle XL 25 mm brush (which is more dense than the smaller knot versions) and the 24 mm PAA Amber Aerolite (or Peregrino) brush? Both PAA brushes use same knot, just different color according to the PAA site. I am curious to how those compare in backbone and feel.

Has anyone tried both the Muhle XL 25 mm brush (which is more dense than the smaller knot versions) and the 24 mm PAA Amber Aerolite (or Peregrino) brush? Both PAA brushes use same knot, just different color according to the PAA site. I am curious to how those compare in backbone and feel.
I have all those brushes and for me the 25mm STF wins hands down, followed by the Amber Aerolite, and a distant last Peregrino. The Aerolite and Peregrino knots are different. Aerolite has more backbone by far. The STF is as close to a badger as I've found. Dense, soft, and great backbone. I don't care for the Peregrino at all....to soft and floppy for me. The STF I have is from Rudy Vey so not sure if it behaves different than the regular Muhle brush.

I have all those brushes and for me the 25mm STF wins hands down, followed by the Amber Aerolite, and a distant last Peregrino. The Aerolite and Peregrino knots are different. Aerolite has more backbone by far. The STF is as close to a badger as I've found. Dense, soft, and great backbone. I don't care for the Peregrino at all....to soft and floppy for me. The STF I have is from Rudy Vey so not sure if it behaves different than the regular Muhle brush.
Thanks for the insight as I am looking at the 25mm SFT (the full brush from Muhle). I was looking at the Muhle SFT brushes based on all the love I read for the knot and hoping the Muhle handle would be smaller than the Aerolite handle as well (but hopefully not so small as to cramp my hands as some brushes have done in the past).

How does the splay compare between the 25mm SFT and the Aerolite? I face lather and that is a big deal for me.

Interesting that you do noticed a different between the Aerolite and Peregrino knots (noting that the Aerolite knot is set 1mm deeper).
From the PAA page for the Aerolite they said:

With this release we are also introducing our latest, NEW hybrid knot, The Stygian Synth! Fans of our knots, especially the Roswell Grey (Peregrino/Starcraft Knot), will immediately recognize the similarity in feel and performance. In fact, the only real difference is the color!

I went with the Aerolite just because it was smaller than the Peregrino and that the knots were supposedly the same other than color. I did notice the first shave had more backbone and less splay than I liked but it opened up by the second shave and beyond. Hopefully I made the better choice of the two!

Thanks again!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have the 2022 Contributor's Rudy Vey brush with the 25 mm STF knot. I think they way Rudy sets the knot has a huge positive impact on the performance of the brush. Anyway, this brush blows away any other synth I have tried, and I have had a lot, including several other custom synth brushes. It feels so badger-like that I sometimes go to soak it before my shower, then realize it’s a synth.

I have the Starcraft as well. It’s not even in the same league as the STF. But it’s a great synth brush in its own right.

I used to feel strongly that if I want to use a great badger, I would use a great badger. Not a synth that was trying to feel like a badger. Most synths have their own special feel and character that is very unnatural in a good way. They way they hold water and release soap, their face feel, etc., are all unique compared to a good badger brush. And I like that variety. I like that efficiency in my lathering. But this Rudy Vey STF is just an amazing brush. There is no mind set for me where I think this brush is awesomely like a badger. It’s just a great brush… period. It is the first synth that can truly hang with my high dollar badger brushes.

So I am the opposite of this thread. When it started, and until recently, I was very positive about synth brushes, but didn’t want one like the STF that was trying to replicate a badger brush. I had tried an STF loaded brush before and didn’t like it. So the STF was never on my throne of brushes. But it is now.

I have the 2022 Contributor's Rudy Vey brush with the 25 mm STF knot. I think they way Rudy sets the knot has a huge positive impact on the performance of the brush. Anyway, this brush blows away any other synth I have tried, and I have had a lot, including several other custom synth brushes. It feels so badger-like that I sometimes go to soak it before my shower, then realize it’s a synth.

I have the Starcraft as well. It’s not even in the same league as the STF. But it’s a great synth brush in its own right.

I used to feel strongly that if I want to use a great badger, I would use a great badger. Not a synth that was trying to feel like a badger. Most synths have their own special feel and character that is very unnatural in a good way. They way they hold water and release soap, their face feel, etc., are all unique compared to a good badger brush. And I like that variety. I like that efficiency in my lathering. But this Rudy Vey STF is just an amazing brush. There is no mind set for me where I think this brush is awesomely like a badger. It’s just a great brush… period. It is the first synth that can truly hang with my high dollar badger brushes.

So I am the opposite of this thread. When it started, and until recently, I was very positive about synth brushes, but didn’t want one like the STF that was trying to replicate a badger brush. I had tried an STF loaded brush before and didn’t like it. So the STF was never on my throne of brushes. But it is now.
I completely agree with you, the STF is the only synthetic I have, have tried others and didn’t like them, but the STF can hang with my badger brushes.

Thanks for the insight as I am looking at the 25mm SFT (the full brush from Muhle). I was looking at the Muhle SFT brushes based on all the love I read for the knot and hoping the Muhle handle would be smaller than the Aerolite handle as well (but hopefully not so small as to cramp my hands as some brushes have done in the past).

How does the splay compare between the 25mm SFT and the Aerolite? I face lather and that is a big deal for me.

Interesting that you do noticed a different between the Aerolite and Peregrino knots (noting that the Aerolite knot is set 1mm deeper).
From the PAA page for the Aerolite they said:

I went with the Aerolite just because it was smaller than the Peregrino and that the knots were supposedly the same other than color. I did notice the first shave had more backbone and less splay than I liked but it opened up by the second shave and beyond. Hopefully I made the better choice of the two!

Thanks again!
I like the STF best out of all my brushes. I have 2 from Rudy set to 54mm loft and I find it perfect. I'm a bowl latherer though. Splay is good with both the STF and Aerolite but I'll give the nudge to the STF. I'm in the process of getting another STF from Rudy but with the 23mm knot. I can't recommend him enough for brushes.....excellent work.

I do find a difference between the Aerolite and Peregrino. Maybe it's a loft thing, but the Aerolite has better backbone and a more pleasing handle. I use the Aerolite often...it's a good brush but doesn't really compete with the Rudy STF.

Last edited:
Top Bottom