What's new

Muhle STF dethroned

Here’s my Rudy Vey with 25mm STF - my favorite synth. Just DM him or shoot him an email- he is terrific to work with.

1AF56B79-1961-4105-A63A-4C398A087A30.jpeg

I have all those brushes and for me the 25mm STF wins hands down, followed by the Amber Aerolite, and a distant last Peregrino. The Aerolite and Peregrino knots are different. Aerolite has more backbone by far. The STF is as close to a badger as I've found. Dense, soft, and great backbone. I don't care for the Peregrino at all....to soft and floppy for me. The STF I have is from Rudy Vey so not sure if it behaves different than the regular Muhle brush.
@gdawg55 How would you compare the backbone and face painting ability of the STF vs the Aerolite? I started a thread ( www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/optimal-synthetic-knot-that-excels-at-bowl-lathering-and-face-painting.628879/ ) searching for a knot that might offer reasonable backbone and equally effective face painting. I bowl lather and then move directly to painting. I found the Aerolite a fairly effective face painter but it seemed lacking in backbone (for efficient bowl lathering), at least compared to my AP Shave Co G5C. The G5C is great for lather production but has not been as effective for painting, at least for me. Some have suggested a STF might be a solution.

@gdawg55 How would you compare the backbone and face painting ability of the STF vs the Aerolite? I started a thread ( www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/optimal-synthetic-knot-that-excels-at-bowl-lathering-and-face-painting.628879/ ) searching for a knot that might offer reasonable backbone and equally effective face painting. I bowl lather and then move directly to painting. I found the Aerolite a fairly effective face painter but it seemed lacking in backbone (for efficient bowl lathering), at least compared to my AP Shave Co G5C. The G5C is great for lather production but has not been as effective for painting, at least for me. Some have suggested a STF might be a solution.
The 25mm STF has more backbone than the Aerolite. I find it face paints very well. It’s my favorite brush by a long shot. I will note that my experience is with Rudy’s STF….it’s the bomb.

Thank you for sharing. Very helpful! And if I go STF I will definitely be reaching out to Rudy. I am already feeling the gravitational pull. :)
The pull is strong…..just let it guide you to an awesome Rudy STF brush. You won’t regret it. I have 3 from him and they are all superb.

Another option that I just stumbled upon is the 25mm Simfix SF1 which is a collaboration between Simpson and Vulfix. I just got one and knew after the first use that I’m going to really like it. Maggards has them. Lots of backbone and short loft which I prefer.

I have Peregrino, Starcraft, Atomic Rocket and Amber Aerolite. All very good. I also had Solar Flare but I didn’t like it. It was way too floppy. My favorite is probably Amber Aerolite and then Peregrino and Starcraft and Atomic Rocket.
I have the Amber aerolite en route, glad to see this review! I like face lathering and a brush that splays well. I have a 24mm razorock and am ver impressed with that.

I have the Amber aerolite en route, glad to see this review! I like face lathering and a brush that splays well. I have a 24mm razorock and am ver impressed with that.
Yes it is only PAA brush I left in my collection. I sold Peregrino and Starcraft. Amber Aerolite stays! 👍

Yes it is only PAA brush I left in my collection. I sold Peregrino and Starcraft. Amber Aerolite stays! 👍
first go around with the Aerolite this morning and I like it a lot. I'd say a lot of similarities to the Razorock Bruce I have. Very good back bone, but splays easily and is super soft on the face, not scratchy at all. Compared to the Bruce, the slightly flatter loft maybe makes splaying the brush a tad easier... both brushes are new to me, so I'll use the Bruce again tomorrow for comparison. And the Aerolite creates tons of lather easily. Yeah, not floppy at all, this one... really nice brush!

Top Bottom