What's new

Muhle Sophist Porcelain

I am considering the purchase of a Muhle Sophis Porcelain handle DE razor and would welcome comments from members who have used this razor.

Is the razor well balanced, is the handle comfortable and easy to grip and control when wet, and how susceptible is the handle to chipping or breakage?

I pm'd this to jaguar and he thought some may find it useful so here are my thoughts.

(jaguar, if you do end up buying the razor, I hope the person you give it to enjoys it as much as I do!)

Hi Jaguar,
I'm far from an expert in these things but I will give you my thoughts.

I hadn't used for a few weeks (been trying to master the slant!) so just used it and also compared it with my slant and Merker 1904! It just reminded me how good the muhle head is!

I don't find it bottom heavy but well balanced but I do normally hold it in the porcelain area with my little finger right at the end. So my grip is slightly different then when i use a shorter handle razor.

I could appreciate it feeling bottom heavy if held up closer to the head due to the longer handle.

I would estimate the balance point would be about the same area proportionally as a slant but that is just me going off when I hold it in hand (hope this makes sense). I don't think it is too much heavier than the slant either.

I find it just as maneuverable as my other razors so no problems there and for some reason I find it gives me pretty much the best ATG pass then compared to the other razors I've used but not sure why, maybe the longer handle cuts back slightly on some pressure??

The only real problem is the grip when wet, I need to dry it sometimes between passes.

It did take a bit of getting used to though

Overall, I find it a well balanced, well made razor and I do enjoy using it.

Hope this helps!

I think the porcelain model is the heaviest razor Muhle have available currently. Still, at around 90gr, it is around the same as a Feather stainless, so a quite hefty razor... Regarding the head, you won't be disappointed, many find it to be a great design.
Muhle is known for the great finish of their razors, but regarding the solidity of the porcelain, I think it's quite fragile if you drop it on a hard surface, but on the positive side, it's quite scratch resistant...So I would say that if you like the design, and have the cash, go ahead...

Top Bottom