What's new

Muhle silvertip fibre vs Simpsons Traflgar T3

Coming from a high end silvertip badger brush, i wanted to give synthetic brushes a try as ive heard lots of good things about them, for those of you who tried both of the mentioned brushes which one works best ?

Although I’d also like to mention PAA’s synthetics. They are really great performing brushes at their prices. The solar flare and perigrino are my favorites out them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you use “painting” brush strokes ,the Trafalgar is more apt for the job.

If you mash the brush ,want an even and easy splaying and use mainly
circular motions ,then the STF is the appropriate brush for you .

In general ,STF is of higher quality than the Sovereign Fibre of the Trafalgar knot.

Omega EVO is also a great alternative to STF brushes.

If the OP is used to high end badger brushes then my advice would be for him to try an STF knot in either a Muhle or Edwin Jagger handle, whichever he likes the look of. The Omega Evo is also an excellent synth option; in fact it's probably my favourite synth, and the handle feels really good to me.
I don't think either the STF or Omega knots feel identical to badger, but they do have similarities and are very good in their own right.

Coming from a high end silvertip badger brush

Ok, not the answer to the question asked, but what is a forum if not full of opinion?

When I think of badger knots, I generally (over simplistically) think:
pure badger = more backbone, more scritch
silvertip = less backbone, less scritch (i.e. very soft)

When I think of my synths, I think:
STF = more backbone, no scritch (fantastic, but different than silvertip)
Plisson = less backbone, no scritch (i.e. very soft, like silvertip)

My point (opinion) being ... if you're "coming from high end silvertip," maybe a Plisson might (should) be in your consideration? Not saying one is better, just different. I love them both.

stfAndPlisson.jpg

Ok, not the answer to the question asked, but what is a forum if not full of opinion?

When I think of badger knots, I generally (over simplistically) think:
pure badger = more backbone, more scritch
silvertip = less backbone, less scritch (i.e. very soft)

When I think of my synths, I think:
STF = more backbone, no scritch (fantastic, but different than silvertip)
Plisson = less backbone, no scritch (i.e. very soft, like silvertip)

My point (opinion) being ... if you're "coming from high end silvertip," maybe a Plisson might (should) be in your consideration? Not saying one is better, just different. I love them both.

Are you talking about the original Plisson (no longer sold by Plisson) or the white fibre that Plisson currently sells?

There's a reviewer on YouTube (see the comments section) that commented he preferred the feel of the old one because the new one feels more "springy" and "prickly" (using his words).

Last edited:
Top Bottom