What's new

Muhle Silvertip Fibre Medium VS Edwin Jagger Silvertip Medium

Hey guys,

Newbie here! I've been shaving with a safety razor for most of my shaving journey but only recently started to sport the no beard look, after almost 2 years without shaving. I currently have an Omega Hi Brush shaving brush which is made out of synthetic fiber. It is not very soft on the skin and I must say it does not seem like it lathers well. My lather is almost always kind of soapy and ends up drying up on my face before I have time shave there. I've tried lathering both on my face and in a bowl. Best result was today while lathering on my face with a proraso shaving cream. I think it's either the soap that is bad quality or my brush.

I've been looking into various types of brush and narrowed my choices down to the two brushes mentioned in the title; Muhle Silvertip Fibre Medium VS Edwin Jagger Silvertip Medium. I know these are two very different brushes but I'd like for anyone who has either one or the two of them to let me know of your experiences. I want something that if comfortable on skin and the medium factor is because I've seen the medium sized brushes tend to later better. Those are 2 pretty decent investments in terms of price but I want something durable and that'll better fit needs than the one I currently own. Thank you in advance for all the recommendations. I'm opened to other choices if you have further recommendations.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Mühle Silvertip Fibre (STF) is one of the best synthetic brushes available.

When you say "Edwin Jagger Silvertip", I presume you are referring to Badger? If so, I do not have that particular brush. If you mean the Edwin Jagger Synthetic Silver Tip, that uses the same synthetic knot as the Mühle Silvertip Fibre (STF).

The Mühle Silvertip Fibre (STF) is one of the best synthetic brushes available.

When you say "Edwin Jagger Silvertip", I presume you are referring to Badger? If so, I do not have that particular brush. If you mean the Edwin Jagger Synthetic Silver Tip, that uses the same synthetic knot as the Mühle Silvertip Fibre (STF).

Thank you! That's what I've heard so I'll probably go down this route since it's much cheaper and might very well be an amazing alternative to badger silvertip. Do you have the medium or large version?

I was referring to the EJ Badger Silver Tip, yes. For the significant difference in prices and the amazing reviews I've seen, I think the Muhle STF is the way to go for me right now.

I've tried out the STF knot in both EJ and Muhle brushes and found them very similar. However, I much prefer the large version of either to the medium. They feel denser, seem to have better backbone and, for me at least, lather better. Most reviews I've read also favour the large version of this synthetic knot.

The Mühle is exactly the brush I selected, in M size. I'm very happy with it, face-lathering with various soaps/cream. However it's my only brush so I can't compare. Maybe I'm ignorantly being happy with good because I haven't experienced great.

If you find the Omega Hi-Brush knot uncomfortable then I suspect you will like the Muhle STF /Silver Tip Fibre knot even less.

I got the matching Muhle STF rose gold brush to go with the rose gold R41 razor and it has WAY too much backbone. It gathers soap pretty well for a small 21mm knot but it is pretty uncomfortable during face lathering.

You'd be better off with a Razorock synthetic brush (tuxedo or plissoft) or something from AP Shave Co (the latter being my favourite). A side benefit is that they are also cheaper.

Honestly, I like my STF but it doesn't work any better than my $16 synthetics. But if you're heart is set on one then go with whichever handle you think you'll prefer. Beyond that EJs, as I recall, are a bit more fan shaped.

Honestly, I like my STF but it doesn't work any better than my $16 synthetics. But if you're heart is set on one then go with whichever handle you think you'll prefer. Beyond that EJs, as I recall, are a bit more fan shaped.
I'd have said the same thing except the EJ I got recently (size large) is so bulb-shaped I can't bring myself to bother using it. I know these knots are hand-tied, so some variability is inevitable.

They are good brushes, though.

The silvertip fibre is the most amazing brush ever!

I like it better than any synthetic, badger or boar!!

The XL is mind blowing! I've got 3.
The L is awesome but not as luxurious as the XL. I've got 2 of these.

The M and S were not enjoyable for me, way too small.

The EJ handle is more ergonomic than the muhle. The other variation between the two is the muhle knot is more bulb shape and the EJ is more of a hybrid/fan.

Hey guys,

Newbie here! I've been shaving with a safety razor for most of my shaving journey but only recently started to sport the no beard look, after almost 2 years without shaving. I currently have an Omega Hi Brush shaving brush which is made out of synthetic fiber. It is not very soft on the skin and I must say it does not seem like it lathers well. My lather is almost always kind of soapy and ends up drying up on my face before I have time shave there. I've tried lathering both on my face and in a bowl. Best result was today while lathering on my face with a proraso shaving cream. I think it's either the soap that is bad quality or my brush.

I've been looking into various types of brush and narrowed my choices down to the two brushes mentioned in the title; Muhle Silvertip Fibre Medium VS Edwin Jagger Silvertip Medium. I know these are two very different brushes but I'd like for anyone who has either one or the two of them to let me know of your experiences. I want something that if comfortable on skin and the medium factor is because I've seen the medium sized brushes tend to later better. Those are 2 pretty decent investments in terms of price but I want something durable and that'll better fit needs than the one I currently own. Thank you in advance for all the recommendations. I'm opened to other choices if you have further recommendations.
Both are the same (apparently). Check for the loft size....apparently the 25mm is gone. Shop around for best price on either. I have both, great brushes. Being honest, if I only got to keep one brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia or Razorock N400. Then there is the Simpsons, a bit more backbone, but the lather isn't as good.....T3....the others are just too little to generate a decent lather.

Thank you all for your answers! It will be super helpful in my decision making process.

If you find the Omega Hi-Brush knot uncomfortable then I suspect you will like the Muhle STF /Silver Tip Fibre knot even less.

I got the matching Muhle STF rose gold brush to go with the rose gold R41 razor and it has WAY too much backbone. It gathers soap pretty well for a small 21mm knot but it is pretty uncomfortable during face lathering.

You'd be better off with a Razorock synthetic brush (tuxedo or plissoft) or something from AP Shave Co (the latter being my favourite). A side benefit is that they are also cheaper.

I'll definitely take a look into these brands. Thank you for the tip as comfort on the face is something I find myself struggling with a lot as I have a very sensitive skin. Any model recommendation for AP Shave Co?

Thank you all for your answers! It will be super helpful in my decision making process.

I'll definitely take a look into these brands. Thank you for the tip as comfort on the face is something I find myself struggling with a lot as I have a very sensitive skin. Any model recommendation for AP Shave Co?

If gentle on the skin is what you're looking for then the Cashmere is just about perfect - it's soft yet dense and produces a monster lather. The SilkSmoke is another option - it has a bit more backbone than the Cashmere but a similar "face feel". The 2BED might also work for you but the Tuxedo and SynBad might have a bit too much backbone.

In the "BRUSHES" section of their website they give good descriptions of how the different knots feel. The "SHAVE ED" section is also worth a read.

Happy hunting and I will conclude by saying that if I was only allowed to own a single brush it would be the 24mm Cashmere :)

Top Bottom