What's new

Muhle Rocca

What are your experiences with the Muhle Rocca? I'm on a very gradual search for a nice stainless steel razor to add to my collection.

My appologies if this has been asked 1000 times before.

The Rocca is one of my favorite razors, and I love the birch bark handle! That said, there are an awful lot of very fine stainless steel razors from which to choose. You can't go wrong with the Rocca, but depending upon your specific preferences there might be other choices that would be a better fit. What razors are you using now? What do you like about them, and what don't you like? Are you looking for a stainless steel razor that will perform similarly to a non-stainless razor that you're currently using? How much are you willing to spend?

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
The Rocca is my absolute favourite razor, in fact I used it only tonight. It is well engineered and built, it feels very solid. Some people may think that a hollow handle is a sign of poor quality, but it means the razor is perfectly balanced and it doesn't require any time getting used to it. I have a number of Muhle razors and they are always well thought out and built and are honestly my best performing razors.
It is much higher in efficiency than my R89 and higher than the Rockwell 6C, even on the R6 plate, but not as efficient (or as harsh) as the Lupo 95. It is very smooth and quite forgiving even if you make a mistake.

At the time when the Rocca first appeared, I was quite keen on it and had high hopes.

I ordered the one with the birch bark handle, including stand.
The birch bark reminded me of cork, which is a beautiful material to touch and provides a secure grip, and I had hopes that Mühle’s stainless steel safety razor would come close to the R41 I was using at that time.

The actual performance was, maybe not entirely surprising for a razor with a safety bar, closer to the R89 although I do believe that the primary driver for closeness and aggressiveness is blade exposure and blade gap.

Mühle also went through a few iterations until they settled on the current head design, but truth be told, I cannot tell the difference between the various heads and believe the changes may have been related to tooling and manufacturing. Mühle did at one stage state that all Rocca heads shave the same.

So in the end, I used the Rocca for while and then went back to my Mühle open comb and straight razors.
Nowadays my safety razors of choice are Tataras (Masamune Nodachi and Muramasa).

Hope this helps…

B.

I had an earlier version of the Rocca which was...ok. I sold it. Then a short time ago I bought the latest version and its been a very pleasant surprise. Efficient and mild plus being a good looking shaver as well. I find it to be a bit more aggressive than the R89 which is a good thing. A very good razor, for me.

What are your experiences with the Muhle Rocca? I'm on a very gradual search for a nice stainless steel razor to add to my collection.
I own and use an all Stainless Muhle Rocca and an Edwin Jagger 3one6.

Assuming you live in the USA, ordering these from the UK or EU will be about the same cost as something like the Razorocks which are a popular all Stainless razor option.

The Birch Handle Rocca is an awesome looking razor for eye appeal for myself. The handle really breaks up the the all matte grey look!

In terms of shaving, I have a slight preference for the Edwin Jagger 3one6. This razor is easier to shave with and is more forgiving of a user error, leading to few weepers and no irritation. The Rocca will cut and bleed me if I mess up but, nowhere close to an R41 in terms of bloodletting with a similar user error.

My whiskers are pretty coarse, much more so than in my youth. With a single pass WTG, I will get a shave that leaves no visible stubble but, can be felt with both razors. Two passes, WTG and XTG, both will give me a DFS to near BBS, minor clean ups will get me to BBS.

Where the 3one6 beats the Rocca is in the safety bar. The open bar lets more lather in to provide cushioning of the blade against my face, hence the lower chance of getting a weeper or irritation. Cleaning, the Rocca is easy enough to clean but, if you don't flush the safety bar 'channels' with a good amount of water, soap and whiskers will build up on the razor blade and in the 'channels' themselves.

I find the 3one6 to be more nimble on my face as well due to its lighter weight and skinnier handle.

I see myself selling the Muhle Rocca because it really duplicates the EJ 3one6 and, I will probably rebuy the Rocca with a Birch handle because of the change in looks which provides something 'unique' for me to enjoy.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Rocca is one of my favorite razors, and I love the birch bark handle! That said, there are an awful lot of very fine stainless steel razors from which to choose. You can't go wrong with the Rocca, but depending upon your specific preferences there might be other choices that would be a better fit. What razors are you using now? What do you like about them, and what don't you like? Are you looking for a stainless steel razor that will perform similarly to a non-stainless razor that you're currently using? How much are you willing to spend?

I'm currently using two EJ's, and DE86 and a Kelvin. I like how both shave, but I definitely want something with good knurling on the handle. Stainless steel is likely what I want, but I'm open to other materials, but I want something that will last long term without the threads stripping out.

I'm currently using two EJ's, and DE86 and a Kelvin. I like how both shave, but I definitely want something with good knurling on the handle. Stainless steel is likely what I want, but I'm open to other materials, but I want something that will last long term without the threads stripping out.
The DE86 and Kelvin use the same head with different handles. That head will accept most handles. And you can get a Muhle R89 top cap that is identical to the ones you have, except that its threaded post is made of brass, so it will not corrode. With those two inexpensive purchases you can have a razor that shaves just like the ones you have, but which has a handle with the knurling you want and a cap with durable threads.
Or you can buy a new stainless steel razor. The Rocca, or the 3one6 that @sidpost recommended, are both good choices, but they are more aggressive and have more blade feel. I also like the RazoRock stainless steel razors. The Game Changer and Lupo models come with a choice of configurations. You can start with one of the milder base plates and later purchase a more aggressive one if you feel the need to do so. And you can pick the handle you like.
@never-stop-learning included a link to his review of reasonably priced razors. He has tested many that also might suit you, and I have always found his reviews to be spot on.
Good luck, and have fun!

The all Steel Rocca is on my short list to purchase.

Reason it is no MIM parts.

I really like the Birch Rocca I recently got. The Edwin Jagger is also a great option and my all-stainless 3one6 serves me really well. The EJ 3one6 shave is slightly better for me and is a little gentler on my face and neck. That being said, I really like the Birch handle on my Rocca so, I'm a bit torn between the two when both are sitting there ready to shave in the morning! :)

I really like the Birch Rocca I recently got. The Edwin Jagger is also a great option and my all-stainless 3one6 serves me really well. The EJ 3one6 shave is slightly better for me and is a little gentler on my face and neck. That being said, I really like the Birch handle on my Rocca so, I'm a bit torn between the two when both are sitting there ready to shave in the morning! :)

I believe the Edwin Jagger is MIM Head, also have touched the Edwin Jagger Stainless the handle is small.

My hands are full of Arthritis.

So I want large handle.

FYI

High-quality MIM today is IMHO, very similar to good stainless steel. It isn't the "pot metal" of days gone by assuming you are getting it from a reputable source.

I believe the Edwin Jagger is MIM Head, also have touched the Edwin Jagger Stainless the handle is small.

My hands are full of Arthritis.

So I want large handle.

:thumbsup:

Get the Birch Rocca. The texture on the Birch handle will be a lot easier to hang onto than the stainless one. Both are significantly larger in diameter than the 3one6.

Top Bottom