What's new

Muhle Rocca vs. RazoRock Game Changer OC

It may be too soon to adequately compare these two, (I have had 3 1/2 shaves with the Rocca and only 1/2 shave with the Game Changer OC), but here are my initial observations.

These are two very different razors. The Rocca is more substantial and feels smoother with somewhat less blade feel than the Game Changer OC. The GC open comb retains much of the maneuverability of the Game Changer .84 safety bar, but it gives the impression that you must pay some mind to what you are doing if you want to avoid cuts, nicks or irritation. With the GC .84 SB, I can zip around my face without having to pay much attention. The Rocca also seems to want me to take some care with the shave, but with both the Rocca and the GC open comb I was able to do my normal two pass plus touch-up shave without undue concentration and in the same amount of time as usual. And neither caused any unpleasant issues in the way of nicks or irritation. As for results, I am giving the Rocca a slight edge here, but not enough to be meaningful. In fact, tomorrow when I re-do the comparison by switching sides, the results might well be different.

Without initiating another debate on efficiency and aggressiveness, I would place both of these razors high up on my list of efficient DE razors, behind only the Fatip open comb, but I have never tried several of the more efficient razors like the R41. My take on efficiency is simply a measure of how close a shave I get using my normal routine. Aggressiveness is how likely the razor is to cut me or cause irritation, and to some extent how carefully I need to shave to avoid those issues. That's where the Fatip open comb failed me; I could not use it regularly without irritating the skin on my neck. Both of these razors are therefore less aggressive (to me) than the Fatip open comb and more aggressive than the Game Changer .84.

It would be very hard for me to choose one of these over the other. The Rocca has a unique look to it with the birch handle, and I find the large diameter handle a pleasure to use. But it's not readily available for purchase and it's pricey at about $100 delivered. For the same price, you can get both the Game Changer .84 and the open comb base plate. My advice, in the best tradition of these forums, is to buy both. (And then there is also the Blackland Dart which is another stainless steel razor that naturally competes with these two, and which I'll probably end up buying at some point as well.)

I like the Rocca birch handle a great deal.

I've never shaved with a Rocca but there were a lot of conflicting reports when it was first released.

I kind of wish they would sell the handle separately.

I like the Rocca birch handle a great deal.

I've never shaved with a Rocca but there were a lot of conflicting reports when it was first released.

I kind of wish they would sell the handle separately.

And the latest news is manufacturing is on indefinite hold, so wonder if it’s going to be discontinued or if they are doing another rev.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the latest news is manufacturing is on indefinite hold, so wonder if it’s going to be discontinued or if they are doing another rev.

I'm not surprised to hear that, given how difficult it was to find anyplace I could buy the Rocca. But it is a shame, because, at least for the version I have, it is truly an excellent razor. I've now had a chance to shave with it about a half dozen times, and it always rewards me with a very close and comfortable shave. While I've never nicked or cut myself with it, I do get the sense that it would be easy enough to do so if you're not paying attention. For me that's the trade-off between the Rocca and the safety bar GC .84, for example. I can zip around with the GC without any concern for my well-being, and I will get a fine shave. With the Open Comb GC, I can get a closer shave but I'm moving into Rocca territory in terms of having to pay attention. It requires a little less attention than the Rocca and it doesn't shave quite as close.

I suspect the R41 is the next step up, but I don't feel as if I could really get a closer shave than the Rocca provides, and I don't want to have to be that concerned about nicks, cuts or irritation.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Razors vary greatly depending on the angle the shaver uses.

Captain of the steep (meme).jpg

At the design angle (neutral angle) or even steeper, the Fatip razors are much much better for me. Actually that's true of most safety razors. Why? I have no idea; it seems counterintuitive to me.

Probably the most efficient (and some would say most aggressive) of the production Fatip razors is the out of production Mk1. The Mk1 is my favorite Fatip. My shaves with it are smooth, but I use it at a steep angle.

Happy shaves,

Jim

If they discontinue the Rocca, that would be a real shame. I know it had its QC problems when it first came out but when right it’s a great razor for those who like efficient shaves.

I recently picked up 2 razors, the 3one6 and a gamechanger OC. I planned to compare the 3one6 to my Rocca and the GC OC to the GC 84 original. Figured I'd sell the lesser 2 of them.

I did a side-by-side shave with the 2 gamechangers. I could tell no difference in the shaves right after, 8 hours later, or overnight. However, the GC OC feels more aggressive and I have to be careful for weepers. Subsequent shaves with the GC OC suggest that is slightly more efficient that the GC original. But I'm not certain that it is worth the increase in aggression. The GC original is just so comfortable to shave with.

A side-by-side with the 3one6 and Rocca also resulted in identical shaves. Even though they are two very different razors. The 3one6 is light and slim. The Rocca is shaped more like other razors I use. In feel, I think the 3one6 is a bit more aggressive, but not more efficient. In fairness, I've used the Rocca for awhile now and have always liked the way it shaves.

Unfortunately, I am having a hard time parting with any of them. They are each nice and all shave well.

After this thread, I guess I need to match the GCOC against my Rocca.

One thing that I "dislike" about GC OCs is that gap below blade. I wonder does it (if any) affect the shave?
I'm used to Fatip OC and I like that smooth curvature and how blade nicely slopes down, R41 almost look alike, but for GC it somehow looks odd to me, or is it just me?

1659001034936.png

Does it affect comfort? Fatip has blade layed down nicely, and if for any reason I'd RAD GC OC it would be for a higher quality Stainless Steel OC :) but this head design draws me back a little bit. I have Muhle Rocca and I find it remarkable, super efficient for a closed comb (and closed bar) razor, so one day, for pure recreation, I might add SS OC to collection, but I'd really like to keep that "layed feel" of a blade as Fatip has.

@Steve_in_CT do you find any discomfort in this blade position at all? Is it noticeable? I hope I presented my concern properly.

I don't have a Mühle or a GC, but I do have a Lupo 72 and the Dart. The Lupo has a slight edge in ease of use, but the Dart has a slight edge in overall efficiency. I have to pay a little closer attention with the Dart. I like both.

One thing that I "dislike" about GC OCs is that gap below blade. I wonder does it (if any) affect the shave?
I'm used to Fatip OC and I like that smooth curvature and how blade nicely slopes down, R41 almost look alike, but for GC it somehow looks odd to me, or is it just me?

View attachment 1495410

Does it affect comfort? Fatip has blade layed down nicely, and if for any reason I'd RAD GC OC it would be for a higher quality Stainless Steel OC :) but this head design draws me back a little bit. I have Muhle Rocca and I find it remarkable, super efficient for a closed comb (and closed bar) razor, so one day, for pure recreation, I might add SS OC to collection, but I'd really like to keep that "layed feel" of a blade as Fatip has.

@Steve_in_CT do you find any discomfort in this blade position at all? Is it noticeable? I hope I presented my concern properly.
It's been three years since my last post in this thread, and in that time I sold both my GC .84 and .84 OC, my Fatip Piccolo and Open Comb Slant and an Edwin Jagger 3one6 (and my R41 is currently for sale on the BST). I still own the Rocca, so that gives you a sense about my preferences with regard to stainless steel razors. I do have a new, gold Fatip Il Grosso OC on the way, and I recently acquired a stainless steel Blackbird SB. With regard to your question regarding the blade position of the Game Changer, I'm afraid I don't recall specifically what it is that prompted me to sell the Game Changer. I think it was just that I preferred the Rocca and there was nothing special about the Game Changer that made me want to keep it. I prefer to keep the number of razors I own down to a manageable number; for me that means I keep 6 or 8 and sell whichever ones don't seem special to me. With regard to a stainless steel open comb, have you looked at the RazoRock Lupo? I haven't tried it yet, but I've read lots of glowing reviews.

It's been three years since my last post in this thread, and in that time I sold both my GC .84 and .84 OC, my Fatip Piccolo and Open Comb Slant and an Edwin Jagger 3one6 (and my R41 is currently for sale on the BST). I still own the Rocca, so that gives you a sense about my preferences with regard to stainless steel razors. I do have a new, gold Fatip Il Grosso OC on the way, and I recently acquired a stainless steel Blackbird SB. With regard to your question regarding the blade position of the Game Changer, I'm afraid I don't recall specifically what it is that prompted me to sell the Game Changer. I think it was just that I preferred the Rocca and there was nothing special about the Game Changer that made me want to keep it. I prefer to keep the number of razors I own down to a manageable number; for me that means I keep 6 or 8 and sell whichever ones don't seem special to me. With regard to a stainless steel open comb, have you looked at the RazoRock Lupo? I haven't tried it yet, but I've read lots of glowing reviews.
Totaly understand ☺️ and many thanks for your feedback, considering old topic. I see why you end up with Rocca, and tbh I probably won't need any other razor as well, for similar feel - some razors just outperform anything else. I haven't reach for Piccolo since receiving R94, so guess it's just "let me get one more stainless just for reserve" sickness.

Totaly understand ☺️ and many thanks for your feedback, considering old topic. I see why you end up with Rocca, and tbh I probably won't need any other razor as well, for similar feel - some razors just outperform anything else. I haven't reach for Piccolo since receiving R94, so guess it's just "let me get one more stainless just for reserve" sickness.
I understand the "sickness". Although I used the Rocca today and had a great shave with it, in the past few years since my original post, I have acquired and sold several razors. Why not just keep using the Rocca? No particular reason, but like many others around here I like the novelty of trying new razors. Lately I've been using my Blackland Blackbird and Karve Christopher Bradley more than anything else, and when my new Fatip Il Grosso arrives it will get a lot use, but the Rocca isn't going anywhere.

Well, couple of things are pushing themselves as an answer to my concerns:
  • how many razors I need to outlive me afterall :D
  • grabbing Rocca this much is probably evidence that I don't wanna skip a Rocca shave even for a day
  • Razorock prices in Europe are slowly rising above 100 EUR (Rocca was ~70 EUR shipped) so it does not make it of such a "gamechangers" afterall (as when they hit the market).
In three years, who knows what razors we'll be craving for :)

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets

View attachment 1495410

Fatip adopts Gillette's razor design ideas before 1930, so there is no "gap" on the base plate.
Many razors since the 1930's "Gillette NEW" have incorporated the gap design and they have been proven effective for 90 years without compromising comfort.
296199065_1502522716849140_5900754902357816627_n.jpg

Differences in the "blade exposure" of each razor may more directly result in a more irritating or milder skin feel.
Many modern processing razors such as WOLFMAN and ROCNEL SAILOR have used the "big gap + small exposure" combination to prove that comfort and efficiency can coexist.
Of course, the combination of "big GAP + big exposure" also exists in some razors at the same time, suitable for shavers who like a strong sense of blade.

Fatip adopts Gillette's razor design ideas before 1930, so there is no "gap" on the base plate.
Many razors since the 1930's "Gillette NEW" have incorporated the gap design and they have been proven effective for 90 years without compromising comfort.
View attachment 1498085

Differences in the "blade exposure" of each razor may more directly result in a more irritating or milder skin feel.
Many modern processing razors such as WOLFMAN and ROCNEL SAILOR have used the "big gap + small exposure" combination to prove that comfort and efficiency can coexist.
Of course, the combination of "big GAP + big exposure" also exists in some razors at the same time, suitable for shavers who like a strong sense of blade.
Thanks for the comparison image, it displays your statement perfectly. Yeah, with this in mind, it would be clear that blade is tightly clamped, and doesn't wiggle (just isn't so obvious for a first look). Perhaps I'm just subjective and due to existing comfort and experience believe that blade should be layed on the bottom plate to be comfortable :) Still no issues with Muhle Rocca i.e. which has a lot of blade gap, but only moderate blade feel and actually a lot of comfort when used. I'll remember your image when hit razor shopping next time ;)

Thanks for the comparison image, it displays your statement perfectly. Yeah, with this in mind, it would be clear that blade is tightly clamped, and doesn't wiggle (just isn't so obvious for a first look). Perhaps I'm just subjective and due to existing comfort and experience believe that blade should be layed on the bottom plate to be comfortable :) Still no issues with Muhle Rocca i.e. which has a lot of blade gap, but only moderate blade feel and actually a lot of comfort when used. I'll remember your image when hit razor shopping next time ;)
Muhle Rocca has 0,76 mm blade gap, which no so much.

Top Bottom