What's new

Muhle Rocca vs Edwin Jagger 3ONE6

Those are the 2 I have. Had the birch handle one as well, but sold it as I didn't like how it balanced. The birch handle felt great, but is lighter weight than the other two....made the razor more head heavy. I like the R94 best as well. I use the R96 handle on my 3one6 as I don't care for the EJ handle.....it's on the thin side. The only way to tell what version you have is to look at the inside of the baseplate. All the different versions have slightly different base plate designs. You most likely have V4 (the latest version) if you bought them new in the last year or two. There is a thread on here somewhere that shows the version differences.
I love the look of the birch handle but I can see how it wouldn't be heavy enough for the head. Honestly, I'd buy just that handle to use with some other lighter heads. I don't have a 3one6 but I've thought that the handle looks thin. That would probably bug me too. I'll see if I can find that thread. Thanks!

The 3One6 is a razor that I just can't help but go back to (as I did this morning). I appreciate that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I rank the 3One6 as the the most handsome non-vintage razor out there. It shaves damn well too :)

1639759250809.png

Fine Accoutrements bowl with Phoenix StarCraft synthetic brush
Truefitt and Hill 1805 shaving cream
Nivea Protect and Care aftershave balm
Polsilver blades *2
1st use
Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 all stainless steel Razor with knurled handle
Mühle Rocca stainless steel razor with black handle

Today I wanted to revisit the Mühle Rocca razor after purchasing a 3ONE6 recently and wanting to compare these two razors which share almost identical head geometry. So it was a bit of a “technical” shave today where my focus was on performance, feel, comfort and smoothness. I wasn’t particularly interested in getting a BBS shave.

Both razors had brand new Polsilver blades inserted to create the usual level playing field. I even swapped the handles over before the upward pass just to see if my belief that the handle of the Mühle razor affected my impression of the how the Mühle head shaved due to the change in balance.

Maybe there’s a bit of confirmation bias at work with razors. It’s more expensive therefore it’s better kind of thing. In the world of Hi-Fi music reproduction, this confirmation bias is rampant. Audiophiles claim all kinds of things for “superior”, expensive equipment but if subjected to a “double blind” listening test they cannot pick out the “superior” equipment every single time.

I don’t fancy being blindfolded and given a razor with my hand in a glove to see if I could pick out the Mühle from the 3ONE6.

Safe to say then that these two razors shave you close. They are efficient. They ooze quality and either one would be a joy to own. You could be happy buying the one you like the looks of the most and leaving it at that.
For me (and ymmv) I find the 3ONE6 just that bit more comfortable to shave with. It’s a tad smoother with slightly less bite or aggression for me. But if I were blindfold, would I be able to pick it out from the Mühle every single time? Probably not.

Have a great shave today.😊👍

375652CC-5C6A-4725-BCDD-C280F48E5B37.jpeg

It's easily as well made as the AS-D2.
I you're referring to the 3ONE6, I haven't seen any broken handles posted about the Feather but there are a number of reports and photos of the EJ handle coming apart. Whether it was a bad batch or poor construction, I don't know but the 3ONE6 has three-piece handles and they can come apart. Otherwise, I like the looks of them and own a couple DE89s.

The EJ 3ONE6 has a stainless steel top cap, doesn't it? You've see that one break? That would be surprising. I have seen pictures of EJ DE89 top caps snapping due to cast metal rot, though.

The EJ 3ONE6 has a stainless steel top cap, doesn't it? You've see that one break? That would be surprising. I have seen pictures of EJ DE89 top caps snapping due to cast metal rot, though.
From Amazon:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

To be fair, these images are just from two reviewers but I've seen other images showing similar issues. That doesn't mean the razors are bad or the handles are junk but the parts appear to be glued. Having two EJ DE89s, I feel like I'm good with that brand and have three other SS razors already. My first DE89 is 11 years old and looks brand new but I take it apart, clean and dry it after each use, paying close attention to the cap threads.

I have read that the 3one6 head is MIM (metal injection molded), not machined stainless steel. The handle has an aluminum middle section like the Muhle R96.

Ah, I see the issue. Thanks for the clarification. I'm with you @CCS as I also like to clean and dry my razor after use.

Top Bottom