What's new

Muhle Rocca vs Edwin Jagger 3ONE6

Just to update this a bit - I now have also purchased a Fatip Open Comb Slant (FOCS) and a Blackland Dart. Both are, as a I suspected, more radically different from the Rocca and 3ONE6 than those two razors are from one another. Of those four razors, the ones that get used the most are the Dart and Rocca. While both the 3ONE6 and FOCS are excellent razors, I don't find that I reach for them all that often. I would probably sell them on the BST, but in both cases the original handle was lost during our move this past summer.
will you let us know your thoughts after you have used them? Thank you

Iridian

Cool and slimy
There is a difference between the type of safety bar used, but this is the only difference in the head geometry. Put the heads side by side to see. I like the looks of the Rocca head, but find the more classic plate design of the 3ONE6 better to my liking, too. The lather channel shoots literally goo out on the Rocca when you rinse it.

The Rocca birch bark handle is of course lighter than the Rocca with the full steel handle. The 3ONE6 steel handle is also heavier than the aluminum models, but... this isn't exactly a surprise, isn't it? 😏

I think switching sides should show you if it is just a side preference. It could also be that you like one or the other type of safety bar better. The difference shouldn't be staggering though.

will you let us know your thoughts after you have used them? Thank you
I'm sure that I have commented on the Dart and FOCS in other threads, and you can see my comments about the Rocca and 3ONE6 above. That said, here's a quick summary of my feelings about the Dart and FOCS. The Dart is probably the razor I used most often. I like the way it looks, the way in feels in my hand and the consistently excellent shaves I get when I use it. It has more blade feel than most razors I've tried, so if you don't like that sensation you won't like the Dart. The FOCS is a bargain, my Gold FOCS is great looking, and it is the first Fatip razor I've owned that didn't require a bit of fiddling to get the blade exposure correct. But I can't seem to use any of the Fatip razors on a regular basis without developing some irritation on my neck. I'm sure that it's more a technique issue than a razor design flaw, but as a result I just don't reach for it very often even though it is wonderfully smooth and efficient.

I'm sure that I have commented on the Dart and FOCS in other threads, and you can see my comments about the Rocca and 3ONE6 above. That said, here's a quick summary of my feelings about the Dart and FOCS. The Dart is probably the razor I used most often. I like the way it looks, the way in feels in my hand and the consistently excellent shaves I get when I use it. It has more blade feel than most razors I've tried, so if you don't like that sensation you won't like the Dart. The FOCS is a bargain, my Gold FOCS is great looking, and it is the first Fatip razor I've owned that didn't require a bit of fiddling to get the blade exposure correct. But I can't seem to use any of the Fatip razors on a regular basis without developing some irritation on my neck. I'm sure that it's more a technique issue than a razor design flaw, but as a result I just don't reach for it very often even though it is wonderfully smooth and efficient.
thank you

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Wait for the GIF to load and see how the 3ONE6 and Rocca are related. The core parts of the geometry are identical, the bar and design different.
Disclaimer: I take no credit for this GIF, I think I even found it on this very forum 2-3 years ago in a Rocca discussion but can't find it again.

316rocca.gif

Wait for the GIF to load and see how the 3ONE6 and Rocca are related. The core parts of the geometry are identical, the bar and design different.
Disclaimer: I take no credit for this GIF, I think I even found it on this very forum 2-3 years ago in a Rocca discussion but can't find it again.

View attachment 1336607

That is super cool. I had no idea. I have both razors, and I think the Rocca shaves more intuitively, but maybe it's the placebo effect. They are both good razors.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
That is super cool. I had no idea. I have both razors, and I think the Rocca shaves more intuitively, but maybe it's the placebo effect. They are both good razors.
I think it's more than placebo, before I got told this I also was adamant that they shave differently. IMO: It's the longer "guidance area" of the safety bar of the 3ONE6 that might make a difference. I am not sure if the 3ONE6 is CNC by now, but the early Rocca heads were also "MIM" cast. They are not identical, but I would dare to say there is still at least some joint development and cooperation between Mühle and Edwin Jagger.

I have both the Rocca and 3one6. I get a slightly closer shave with the 3one6, but they are both really similar. I even like to use my Rocca handle on the 3one6 as I think it balances better. I prefer the looks of the Rocca over the 3one6 however.

I have both the Rocca and 3one6. I get a slightly closer shave with the 3one6, but they are both really similar. I even like to use my Rocca handle on the 3one6 as I think it balances better. I prefer the looks of the Rocca over the 3one6 however.
I'm certainly of the opinion that the handle of the 3one6 is its biggest weak point. I got a good deal on one with the lined handle. The head is excellent and probably has the best compromise between efficiency ( very good) and not making it too easy to leave my face a bloody mess if I'm in a rush. Probably the only thing I would change would be covering the tabs but it's not a deal breaker. I just can't get in with the handle - too light and hate the grip. Currently paired the head with an Ikon bulldog I had lying around and the result is by far my favourite razor. I like it enough I'm thinking of shelling out for the matte version of the handle (the polished one I had is just enough of a.mismatch to trigger my ocd). Hopefully will have a Rocca to compare against one day.

Rocca has less gap more blade exposure.
3ONE6 has more gap less blade exposure.

I prefer the 3ONE6 which has become one of
only three razors I have kept.

I have the black coated Rocca, and alongside the Blackbird, I think "why the hell do I bother owning a half dozen razors?" after I get done shaving. I'm sure the Edwin Jagger is fantastic as well but honestly I have no reason to go for it, though I've always thought the name "Edwin Jagger" was MUCH cooler than "Muhle" for what it's worth 😅

I'm certainly of the opinion that the handle of the 3one6 is its biggest weak point. I got a good deal on one with the lined handle. The head is excellent and probably has the best compromise between efficiency ( very good) and not making it too easy to leave my face a bloody mess if I'm in a rush. Probably the only thing I would change would be covering the tabs but it's not a deal breaker. I just can't get in with the handle - too light and hate the grip. Currently paired the head with an Ikon bulldog I had lying around and the result is by far my favourite razor. I like it enough I'm thinking of shelling out for the matte version of the handle (the polished one I had is just enough of a.mismatch to trigger my ocd). Hopefully will have a Rocca to compare against one day.
I have my 3one6 head on a RazoRock bulldog handle. Perhaps it's not as polished as the iKon bulldog - I think it looks good.

Attachments

• IMG_20211001_212927.jpg
    IMG_20211001_212927.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 96
A 3ONE6 and the R41 are the most frequently used razors in my collection. I've got a Rocca in the satin steel finish which hasn't been touched since before Covid. There's no need to figure out a proper angle of attack when using the 3ONE6, it just wants to start slicing as soon as it makes contact with the skin and its the next best thing to the R41 in terms of efficiency and reliability.

I have a Rocca and almost had a 3one6 as well but I don't think I would like that handle. The Rocca is a beautiful thing to look at and hold but I haven't had great shaves with it, at least not yet. I'm still working on getting the angle just right, particularly under my jawline.

I have a Rocca and almost had a 3one6 as well but I don't think I would like that handle. The Rocca is a beautiful thing to look at and hold but I haven't had great shaves with it, at least not yet. I'm still working on getting the angle just right, particularly under my jawline.
FWIW, I get the best results using a steeper angle with the Rocca. For some reason I tend to always go steep and like razors that perform well in this position.

FWIW, I get the best results using a steeper angle with the Rocca. For some reason I tend to always go steep and like razors that perform well in this position.
Thanks! I'll give that a try. It's such a beautiful and beautifully made razor. I feel like it's worth the extra effort to figure it out.

Thanks! I'll give that a try. It's such a beautiful and beautifully made razor. I feel like it's worth the extra effort to figure it out.

Agreed, it's a beautiful razor and very well made...alot of razor for the money. I really enjoy mine. It ranks in my top user group. Hope you get it figured out. What model and version do you have?

Agreed, it's a beautiful razor and very well made...alot of razor for the money. I really enjoy mine. It ranks in my top user group. Hope you get it figured out. What model and version do you have?
I actually have two at the moment due to them being available as a single lot, the R 94 (silver handle) and the R 96 (black handle). I'll be selling one of them, probably the black handled one since I like the look of the all-silver one better. I don't know how to tell which version they are. I have the original packaging if there's some way to tell from that.

I actually have two at the moment due to them being available as a single lot, the R 94 (silver handle) and the R 96 (black handle). I'll be selling one of them, probably the black handled one since I like the look of the all-silver one better. I don't know how to tell which version they are. I have the original packaging if there's some way to tell from that.
Those are the 2 I have. Had the birch handle one as well, but sold it as I didn't like how it balanced. The birch handle felt great, but is lighter weight than the other two....made the razor more head heavy. I like the R94 best as well. I use the R96 handle on my 3one6 as I don't care for the EJ handle.....it's on the thin side. The only way to tell what version you have is to look at the inside of the baseplate. All the different versions have slightly different base plate designs. You most likely have V4 (the latest version) if you bought them new in the last year or two. There is a thread on here somewhere that shows the version differences.

Top Bottom