What's new

Muhle Rocca R96

Got back home today and had my first shave with the Rocca. I had 3.5 days of growth, which I haven’t had for a long time. I paired it with a Voskhod blade in its 3rd use

First things first, the birch bark handle is really beautiful, especially wet. It’s Longer than my preference, but I like the light weight. I bought this razor mainly because of the handle

I did just one pass and a couple of touch ups and got a very good close comfortable shave. Not BBS but I wasn’t aiming for it. No sting from my AS splash.
Overall, it seems capable of being a one-pass shaver. I need more time with it to get the angle right (some strokes were a little tuggy) and to see how my skin will fare

PS: one gotta love the huge and scary instructions document that Muhle sends with the Rocca. Very true to their German roots!

Has anyone ordered one from Maggards recently? I'm curious why the top of the baseplate looks like this in their photo:

Muhle-R95.jpg

rather than like the below pic (v4?) and as posted examples in many threads.

5348DB96-8358-4C41-AFF3-0910087D33B8.jpeg.jpg

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Has anyone ordered one from Maggards recently? I'm curious why the top of the baseplate looks like this in their photo:

View attachment 1324023

The picture of Maggards was a V2 version.
V2 = MIM top cap and MIM base plate blade, posts and centre post are glued / welded onto the top cap .

It's unclear whether Maggards just didn't replace the photos, or they are indeed selling the stocked V2 version.

The picture of Maggards was a V2 version.
V2 = MIM top cap and MIM base plate blade, posts and centre post are glued / welded onto the top cap .

It's unclear whether Maggards just didn't replace the photos, or they are indeed selling the stocked V2 version.

Thank you 👍

To avoid opening a new thread, I will try to ask a few questions here, since I am debating getting this razor.

A bit of background: I am not new at DE shaving, I have been doing it for more than 10 years minus the periods I had a beard. Due to the toughness / composition / direction of growth I need efficient razors. I have a late R41 that I had to shim to make it comfortable, it is so much better with the added blade support. The other razor I enjoy using is the Fatip Open Comb, probably due to the rigid blade clamping. That being said, I can also get good results with milder razors such as Merkur safety bar or Lord L6 albeit with a little more effort.

I am using blades on the sharper end of the spectrum for a maximum of 2 shaves. The most I go between shaves is 2 days.

I was eyeballing the Rocca, partly due to its beautiful construction. It is a good looking razor. However I don't want to get something that is disappointing with respect to efficiency, or something that I have to mess with shims to make it work. Basically I need a daily driver that I pop the blade in and enjoy an efficient shave. I don't need "scary", I need efficient in view of the toughness of the whiskers.

Should I pull the trigger?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I like the Mühle Rocca. It is an effective razor. Here is a link to my mid-priced DE razors comparison:

And my Journal with Rocca shaving notes:

Hope this helps. :)

I have been using the 96 for the last year until I rediscovered my R41 in my drawer. I use the 41 every day and enjoy shaving like never before, in fact I just ordered a R41GS. With that being said it doesn't mean the Rocca is not good, it's a great in between a 89 and a 41 razor. If you find that the 41 is too aggressive then by all means go for the 96.

If you find that the 41 is too aggressive then by all means go for the 96.

See, that's what I am worried about. i have no issue with my R41 after my little modification.

My preference towards the efficient end of the spectrum does not preclude me from enjoying my mild (inefficient?) razors. In fact I see it as a challenge to get an efficient shave from them.

So by my reasoning, I enjoy either end, shouldn't I enjoy the in between?

How close is the rocca to the r41, what do people that have used both think?

The Rocca to me is halfway between the 89 and 41, and a very smooth feeling shave. My problem with the Rocca is that no matter what angle or approach I use, I cannot get the Rocca to shave the jawline.

To avoid opening a new thread, I will try to ask a few questions here, since I am debating getting this razor.

A bit of background: I am not new at DE shaving, I have been doing it for more than 10 years minus the periods I had a beard. Due to the toughness / composition / direction of growth I need efficient razors. I have a late R41 that I had to shim to make it comfortable, it is so much better with the added blade support. The other razor I enjoy using is the Fatip Open Comb, probably due to the rigid blade clamping. That being said, I can also get good results with milder razors such as Merkur safety bar or Lord L6 albeit with a little more effort.

I am using blades on the sharper end of the spectrum for a maximum of 2 shaves. The most I go between shaves is 2 days.

I was eyeballing the Rocca, partly due to its beautiful construction. It is a good looking razor. However I don't want to get something that is disappointing with respect to efficiency, or something that I have to mess with shims to make it work. Basically I need a daily driver that I pop the blade in and enjoy an efficient shave. I don't need "scary", I need efficient in view of the toughness of the whiskers.

Should I pull the trigger?

First I bought my Rocca 95 from Maggard early this year and it is the V4. My regular razor rotation includes the R41GS, Wunderbar, Lupo .95 & ATT Kronos. I like aggressive razors. The Rocca may be a half notch below the R41 but it shaves very nicely. I have curly course grey whiskers and it handles them with no issues. Try one and if you don't like it just put it in the BST.

Top Bottom