What's new

MUHLE Rocca R96 long term review

QC and shave quality are two different issues (unless QC impacts shave quality, which has never been reported as an issue for this razor). On QC, my guess is you’re right, but we’ll have to check this post in 5 or 10 years. But how, in your experience, does it shave?
The issue is it looks like that the original QC problems have had a knock on effect which might mean this razor never gets the recognition it deserves, much like the Fatip before they sorted out the QC problems there. I was speaking to one vendor and they were saying that both razors suffer from enquiries about QC even though the vendor does not carry stock of the versions that had problems. For the Rocca,the birch handle has not sold well as I understand it. When it was announced there was a huge amount of interest. Then there was the QC issues, the delay, and now no longer the demand.

Yeah unfortunately for Muhle the hype died down for the ROCCA after the release was leaked and they felt pressured to release the razor prematurely. Then the issues began and the razor seemed snakebitten.

However now the razor has been out for some time now and I am immensely enjoying my shaves with it. I am even eying the accompaning brush. Someone said it is like a Rockwell on Plate 8 and I'd have to agree with that, superb effieciency.

If anyone is hesitant about the Rocca because of the QC issues when it was released: i bought mine on release & actually had a faulty post. I contacted Muhle (even though I bought it elsewhere) and they promptly sent me a new cap and everything was peachy since then.
I would remind people that mistakes can happen & this isn't a noname company that you wont get a hold of if an issues arises. Muhle has been around for decades & not for naught has a reputation for quality products. And at the price of 79-99€, this razor is a great deal.

Muhle Rocca is a good looking razor. My facial hair grows very much in north-south direction and very close to skin. My hair does not "stick out" so much directly off from face. I suspect that because of this i am getting a lot of irritation when shaving against the grain. It just cuts somehow too rough. This makes Rocca for me uncomfortable. I have tried many blades but I just can't get an irritation free shave if I shave ATG with Rocca. I find Rocca causing more irrtitation than R41. Strange!

I have a Rocca with the birch handle, when I first got it the blade was not aligning perfectly all the times, you had to adjust it. I decided to write to Muhle Germany, and very promptly they sent me a replacement head with a redesigned bottom plate, and perfect blade alignment (instead of four guides it has a channel where the posts of the top cap sit very tightly). The razor now is fantastic, almost as efficient as an R41, but smoother and with less blade feel, just a pleasure to use, particularly with Derby Premium blades.

It’s a pity how Muhle messed up the introduction of this razor. It’s a sleeper. Great ergonomics, great weight, super smooth, close and enjoyable shave (mistakes or carelessness will be punished though).

...purchased a V3 Rocca recently and found the head to be misaligned (others have also reported QC problems with the V3 head similar to the reported problems with the V2 & V1 iterations); Muhle customer service was great and they sent a replacement head. It is as others have said a great shaver, well balanced, efficient, ergonomic with good auditory feedback and hits the sweet spot for me in terms of efficiency. That said Muhle have clearly had significant QC problems with all three versions of the head and I suspect there are many duff heads that have been sold; this may account for the very different experiences people report. Despite the frequent re-tooling Muhle have clearly not yet got a grip on the QC for the Rocca; however if you do get a good one it is superb, the problem is getting a good one...

Top Bottom