What's new

Muhle Rocca R95 Birch Bark - Durability?

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
After reading a bunch of reviews on the Muhle Roccas, including the teething pains of it taking 4 versions to get things right, I felt this was a razor I needed to try. Although I've got maybe 20 DEs, I don't think I own one that's got a stainless head, so that was part of the motivation. And efficiency somewhere between the R89 and the R41 sounded like it might hit my sweet spot. I wasn't sure which handle I liked best, though--they all appeal, but I decided to give the birch bark version, the R95 a try. It arrived yesterday and this morning's shave with a Nacette was truly first rate.

I expected the birch part of the handle to be hardcoated with resin (or similar) for waterproofness. I hadn't researched it, and thought it might just be plastic that looked like wood, especially since the black handle one is plastic in the same area. But upon handling it in person, it's a soft, kind of cushiony feel, and according to Muhle, I now see that it's apparently real birch bark:

For thousands of years birch-bark held a similar technical ranking to that of synthetic materials in today’s modern world. With the varied and, at the same time, discrete texture, the bark convinces at first touch with its pleasant, comfortable velvet-warm feel. The material is extremely long-lasting, easy to grip, even when wet and easy to care for.

But despite the "extremely long-lasting" gilded marketing prose, I'm wondering just how durable it will prove to be, and whether any extra care is called for. It's good to recall that canoes have been built from the same material, and that it's been used for knife handles. But it still seems relatively fragile.

Anyone have longish term experience with it? And by the way they're right about the grip, even when wet. It kinda reminds be of tennis racket or cork handlebar tape.
I recently ordered a Rocca from Amazon. How can I tell which of the four iterations I have. The birch version sure is a looker.

I recently ordered a Rocca from Amazon. How can I tell which of the four iterations I have. The birch version sure is a looker.
In the thread that I posted above you will find detailed descriptions and photos to identify which version you have.

^^^ yup, post #44 in that thread is how I figured it out and went ahead and bought a Rocca. The birch bark continues to be my favorite handle of all my razors.

Received my razor and brush today. Stand is back ordered Looks awesome will give it a try Tmw
2BF44B66-553F-4585-8AC6-424827D8B9FE.jpeg

Top Bottom