What's new

Muhle Rocca R94 or Tatara Masamune ??

First time poster here and hoping to get some advice.

I'm relatively new to DE shaving having started about 6 months ago. My first and only razor is the Gillette King C and I've had no issues with it. Sometimes it can feel too mild although that is probably more to do with blade choice.

Now that my technique is improving I'm looking to get a new razor. I'm looking to go stainless and the two that appeal are the Muhle Rocca R94 and Tatara Masamune. Has anyone used both of these? if so, how do they compare and which would you recommend?

I'm sure that this question has been asked in older posts but I'm looking for some recent reviews.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Welcome to the B&B community. I don't have any experience with either of those razors.

I can only tell you what I did, while I waited for others to weigh in.... .I read quite a few journals, to see how others traveled their path, as well as what you plan to do... use the search feature and look up both razors. You should be able to find others who have used the Gillette King C and where they went from there, if they decided to step up the efficiency a notch or two.. or half step

Welcome! I have an R95 Rocca and a Tatara Masamune, and several other razors. I did have a King C. Gillette but have since sold it.

The Masamune is rather mild, I would say about the same aggression as the KCGillette but it is more efficient and it is manufactured with extreme precision which is reflected in the price. It was a bit too mild for me so I now have the Nodachi top cap with the Masamune base plate which is a nice step up in efficiency without going with the full Nodachi base plate and top cap. I prefer the Masamune handle over the Nodachi but of course, that is my personal preference. It's great that Tatara lets one choose the pieces they want to make the razor they want.

I would rate the Rocca at about the same aggression as the Masamune with the Nodachi top cap.

Between the two my choice would be the Masamune but of course, it is at a higher price point.

I have the Rocca and recently had the Masamune OC. The OC is a great shaver more aggressive than the SB. Now the Rocca is more aggressive than the Tatara SB in my estimation. But also a mild shaver. Efficient. And the price point is better. What you might also consider is the Karve OverLander in brass. An excellent shaver with one of the best ATG passes in the business.

Welcome! I have an R95 Rocca and a Tatara Masamune, and several other razors. I did have a King C. Gillette but have since sold it.

The Masamune is rather mild, I would say about the same aggression as the KCGillette but it is more efficient and it is manufactured with extreme precision which is reflected in the price. It was a bit too mild for me so I now have the Nodachi top cap with the Masamune base plate which is a nice step up in efficiency without going with the full Nodachi base plate and top cap. I prefer the Masamune handle over the Nodachi but of course, that is my personal preference. It's great that Tatara lets one choose the pieces they want to make the razor they want.

I would rate the Rocca at about the same aggression as the Masamune with the Nodachi top cap.

Between the two my choice would be the Masamune but of course, it is at a higher price point.
Great points from @Big_T and I agree with what he has said. You will want either the Masamune base with Nodachi cap or the Nodachi base with the Masamune cap to be more in line with the Rocca.

I have both and enjoy using both. I would say the Rocca R94 that I have was $75 new and shaves darn good for that price. The Masamune base with Nodachi cap or Nodachi base with Masamune cap are great shaving combos as well. The Tatara is the higher quality razor, but they both provide excellent shaves.

Welcome to the B&B community. I don't have any experience with either of those razors.

I can only tell you what I did, while I waited for others to weigh in.... .I read quite a few journals, to see how others traveled their path, as well as what you plan to do... use the search feature and look up both razors. You should be able to find others who have used the Gillette King C and where they went from there, if they decided to step up the efficiency a notch or two.. or half step

Good advice!

In the end however, there is only one person who can decide the issue.

I have the (birch bark) Rocca and Masamune Nodachi.

The Rocca did not fulfill my expectations in respect to shave quality and workmanship.
Unexpectedly, this stainless steel razor developped several stains while in storage during COVID 19 while we were waiting to relocate overseas. Non of my other razors (including carbon steel straights) did this.

By comparison, the Masamune Nodachi is all I had hoped for. An exquisite razor with excellent workmanship that provides outstanding shaves.
If blade gap and blade exposure of the Nodachi should be too aggressive for you, you can choose the Masamune or avail of the match and choose (https://www.tatararazors.com/customize) to combine the handle you like with the top and bottom cap you like.

Hope this helps…

B.

Another alternative is to check the price of the Masamune plus an extra alternative Nodachi plate (to or bottom) and then consider whether to take the plunge now for a buy one razor for life and not have to wonder again... and that would be the Tatara Muramasa - but it IS a high price to pay.

I'm very happy with my Masamune... but if i was to start again, i'd just go Muramasa (it is less than any new Driver if you play golf as a comparison... and i did end up paying for the open comb and a nodachi base plate anyway, @sigh@)

I started out with a KCG as well and it was a very good razor - still is actually. I went from the KCG to a Fatip Special Edition and it was my first venturing out to open comb. Relatively early in my journey if I recall.

You can read my experiences with the KCG and progression from then on in my journal here if that is helpful (first shave with the Fatip).

But the R94 and Tatara are beautiful razors as well. I have them on my list - but must admit I went to the R41 rather than the R94.

And welcome to B&B by the way!! Lots of threads to “help” you decide!

Cheers,

Guido

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
The KCG has a Muhle R89 head and is an excellent razor and one of my go-to razors before I got a real R89 (I much prefer the lighter handle). I do have the R94 which is currently my favourite razor. It is a good step up in efficiency from the KCG and as with all Muhle products well thought out and well engineered. The hollow handle makes the razor very well balanced. I do not own a Tatara, but on looks alone it is a stunner though I have no plans to acquire one as I am happy with the R94

You can buy just the R41 head on Amazon for only $25 and use it on your King C. Gillette handle.

proxy.php

If you can successfully shave with the King C. Gillette, which is essentially a R89/DE89 clone, then you can shave with the R41 head.

If you want a super close shave, then the R41 is the way to go. It is not really agressive as much as it is efficient. It is still a smooth shaving razor, despite all the hype associated with it.

The Rocca is a smoother shaving experience than the K.C.G. It is easier to shave with the Rocca, than the K.C.G. At the same time, the Rocca will get you almost the closeness as the R41 will. Almost...

Sometimes it can feel too mild although that is probably more to do with blade choice.

Not really. At least that has been my observation. I have a couple dozen DE blades that I have in quantities of a hundred or more.

They are all good blades and I use all of them in these three different razors. The blades basically behave the same, relative to each other. The shave becomes different with different razors.

What ever blades you are currently using in your K.C.G., you will be able to use in both the Rocca and the R41 head.

Thanks for the feedback. How is the Masamune handle length in comparison to the KCG? In terms of looks I much prefer it to the Nodachi.

Based on feedback and various reviews the Tatara seems like the one to go for. The only other razor I’ve been looking at is the Above The Tie Windsor. Have you ever tried that?

Thanks again 👍

The Rocca did not fulfill my expectations in respect to shave quality and workmanship.
Unexpectedly, this stainless steel razor developped several stains while in storage during COVID 19 while we were waiting to relocate overseas. Non of my other razors (including carbon steel straights) did this.
Was the staining due to leaving a razor blade in it? The electron transfer between a blade and the stainless in the head is often the source of staining. Blades with more iron seem to be worse about this too.

A search of Sacrificial Anodes like you see with ocean going ships is a good way to research the chemistry and physics involved.

The Muhle Mocca and Edwin Jagger 3one6 are both really great razors. I'm probably going to get a new Mocca with the Birch handle before too long so, that should remove any doubt about my true feelings toward a Mocca!

The EJ 3one6 is a bit easier to shave with its open safety bar and, for whatever reason, it doesn't irritate my skin with touch-up passes where Mocca typically will. The Mocca is more apt to give me weeps running the same blades.

Both are really good razors at a modest midrange price. I can get an all-stainless Rocca for ~$80 today and the 3one6 ranges from $60 to $75 depending on handle options.

Thanks for the feedback. How is the Masamune handle length in comparison to the KCG? In terms of looks I much prefer it to the Nodachi.

Based on feedback and various reviews the Tatara seems like the one to go for. The only other razor I’ve been looking at is the Above The Tie Windsor. Have you ever tried that?

Thanks again 👍

The Nodachi handle is more like the KCG. The Masamune handle is thinner and shorter. Specs are on Tatara website. Look under customize which is where you select each piece to build your own razor.

I have no experience with ATT razors but many here do. I think @LRod has some?

Was the staining due to leaving a razor blade in it? The electron transfer between a blade and the stainless in the head is often the source of staining. Blades with more iron seem to be worse about this too.

A search of Sacrificial Anodes like you see with ocean going ships is a good way to research the chemistry and physics involved.
No, the razor was without a blade.
Furthermore, stains developed on the outside of razor and stand, while none of the other items (including carbon steel straight razors) that were packed for our move developed any blemishes.

It is also not clear to me how a natural electron transfer between stainless steel blade and stainless razor would occur as the electrode potential of the two is for all practical purposes identical.

B.

No, the razor was without a blade.
Furthermore, stains developed on the outside of razor and stand, while none of the other items (including carbon steel straight razors) that were packed for our move developed any blemishes.

It is also not clear to me how a natural electron transfer between stainless steel blade and stainless razor would occur as the electrode potential of the two is for all practical purposes identical.

B.
The Mühle Rocca and Tatara Masamune are both made of the same 303 stainless steel alloy and there’s no reason I can think of why one would be more prone to staining than the other. Some other razors use 316L stainless steel, which has greater corrosion resistance than 303 stainless steel, but probably makes no real difference unless you store your razors in sea water. Certainly any stainless steel will be far more resistant to corrosion than your carbon steel razors. Whatever caused your Rocca to stain it is unlikely to have been due to the razor.

First time poster here and hoping to get some advice.

I'm relatively new to DE shaving having started about 6 months ago. My first and only razor is the Gillette King C and I've had no issues with it. Sometimes it can feel too mild although that is probably more to do with blade choice.

Now that my technique is improving I'm looking to get a new razor. I'm looking to go stainless and the two that appeal are the Muhle Rocca R94 and Tatara Masamune. Has anyone used both of these? if so, how do they compare and which would you recommend?

I'm sure that this question has been asked in older posts but I'm looking for some recent reviews.

The Tatara is a beautiful razor no doubt about that but $175 is a bit much IMO. You can buy two Hensons and lots of supplies for that much. After many years of shaving, I think this idea that a heavy razor in this case stainless is better is more of an urban myth than anything else. Maintaining good skin as you age has less to do about the razor than the products you use before, during and after. Money is better spent there than a on collection of metal thinking that one is better than the other. The only real difference in razors is blade exposure and angle guidance. So for me the Henson was an elegant solution to an age old problem. My attention is more on using quality skin care products than collecting things. But it is a beautiful razor despite the fact the end result will be determined by technique, prep and skin care product.

My attention is more on using quality skin care products than collecting things. But it is a beautiful razor despite the fact the end result will be determined by technique, prep and skin care product.

IDK? I grew up in South Florida and spent over six decades there. My skin is fine.

I consider skin care products like I do most health and beauty products they sell in drug stores. That is completely unnecessary and may actually accomplish the opposite of their stated goals.

They exist primarily to part people with their money. Buy something, use it up, buy more...

Top Bottom