What's new

Muhle Rocca - a true rocker!

Well, I guess that I completed my circle fellow shavers :)
Rocca R94 arrived and I'll do my best to provide some objective feedback on it, but it's only my 2 cents.

R94 - Fit & Finish

This is my first and only stainless steel razor and I though that tolerances would be tighter (as for Henson AL13 i.e.) but probably, the SS is more challenging for CNC milling and I saw that there were some loose tolerances. Not in a bad way, but just didn't pushed-tightly as I expected. Enough space to place everything nicely, but when it's tighten - oh boy, does it fit altogether or what!? Not even on finger slide I couldn't feel any surface missaligned, everything was so smooth, handle was nicely grooved, honeycomb pattern is possibly most grippy of all, and once assembled - everything looked remarkable, like a piece of art:

1658213940094.jpg

R94 - Good mid-range to fall between R89 and R41?

I'd say - WRONG! For past 3 years of using R89 and tightening my technique I've managed to get a near BBS with R89 on any beard length. From daily shaves to up to 9 days growth, within 2 passes, mostly WTG+XTG, rarely WTG+ATG, so I don't believe in myth "mild razor for daily use, aggressive razor for heavy beard..." it'll all do the work, nice and smoothly. What I liked at R89, and Muhle in general, is that their razors are almost jewelry-level of fit & finish. Period! Rocca is not different at all. Manufacturing perfection in every aspect, but most important - each razor is complete on its own, and unique on it's own. Hence - I'd avoid comparing Rocca to R41, R89 to R41... they are all made with specific purpose, to provide certain shave experience, it's not like "series of razors and Model1 is for daily shaves, Model2 for 4days growth" etc. Although heads looks similar, the razor hand held feel, shave experience, materials, geometry - are nothing to be compared or to be put at any range, simply - it's in its own league. I wouldn't say it is more aggressive than R89, neither that it's smoother... my shave experience was really unique. Up to point that I could compare it with Fatip OC in terms of efficiency, rather than with other razors from Muhle portfolio, that's what I mean by "its own league" and that's what I like about Muhle - no need for customization, no need for adjusting, each razor is simply marvel for itself.

If I must to put it somewhere - efficiency wise perhaps match to Fatip OC, R41, same or even better... smothness & comfort - R89, Henson AL13 could feel rough compared to Rocca per my own face feel.

1658213940100.jpg

R94 - How does it shave?

Geometry wise, when compared with R89 it's easy to notice that dimensions are the same, but with less blade bending. From this angle, it's visible that Rocca will show only blade edge, while the R89 will have a bit of blade plate exposed as well, due to higher bending. Still - Rocca does have the same effect of "driving the blade away from the face", meaning - it does not dig into skin. It just glides over, and when given pressure it won't stumple into skin, moles, pimples, what you'd might think when presented with this look. Blade gap between blade and safety bar is bit higher but IMO haven't affect the shave, I didn't faced any more aggression because of it, however....

1658213940076.jpg

... what wasn't so obvious and what I didn't heard in any topic on B&B covered so far, neither on YT reviews, is that it somehow has a positive blade exposure! While R89 has neutral, or even negative exposure (blade is tucked into the shave plane) the Rocca has visible exposure, more Fatip OC likewise, so I was extra-careful on this feature. I did my best to capture this on images, but it's more pronounced when looked from hand:

1658217270481.png

Keeping this in mind, I went initially same as with R89 and haven't felt any tugging, no special angle adjustments, just plain smooth shave. When tilted bit more on the cap, it looked that shallow angle works better for some segments of my face, but in overall Rocca allowed me to use variety of angles without any negative feedback. I could say - pure perfection no matter how it's handled.

Neck area was story by itself! Oh my 😲!!! I think that this level of 1st pass WTG smothness and efficiency would be impossible to reach even with Fatip OC, at least for my growth directions and face contours, but, seriously - WOW!!! 1WTG and I was like - done, nothing left for a second pass, and no irritiation at all. Stunning!

Still, as left with lots of lather, I performed XTG on round 2, but rare whiskers cought here and there, pure recreational pass, no real shave, no nicks, no overshaving, almost like blade flew over the skin. If nothing is to be shaved then skin won't be irritated at all, like glass-gliding. My initial feedback was remarkably positive, I'd say - worth every penny.

Closed safety bar was so easy to rinse (used Cella Red) like it has standard lather channels. It is nicely designed, no clogging, no lather stopping, worked great without exceptions.

Overall shave grade: BBS, smooth incomparable with any other ZAMAC, Brass razor heads, simply - clamping of the blade was outstanding, gentle for the skin, waaaaaay more efficient than I'd expect for 1st shave with a new razor - felt like I used it for years, and what I feared most - it didn't felt like my other razors (you buy couple razors and they shave the same, feel the same...)
I received not just "better shave for better money" but whole new experience for a fraction of price.

R94 drawbacks

I guess that Rocca and Muhle in overall, goes bit unnoticed due to higher prices in USA, CAN, and some parts of Europe as well. For central & south regions some vendors do make it more affordable than Razorock Gamechanger, Edwin Jagger etc. so it does have less market share and all reviews I've read were not that promissing (unitl I was convinced in Muhle reputation with R89) so it took me a while to pull the trigger on this. Like I said, I like it as "complete razor" just as it is, simple, elegant, modern, unique... I never craved for RR as I couldn't match all the "liked" heads and handles without buying 4-5 razors :) but this was on first shave - ok, I'm done, I don't need anything else.
So no marketing, no (much available) positive feedback, pricey for worldwide distribution... feels bad for such outstanding razor. Surprisingly, on some web-shops in AUS people leaved a lot of great reviews which I based my decision on, so I'm not sure is it also some - mercant thing, availability, cost combination as Aussies liked Rocca more than US people? Anyhow, if you're lucky enough to find a nice offer at your place, don't skip it, this one was "stolen" by yours trully for 69 EUR shipped :) not bad for a SS razor?

Last edited:
Got my Muhle Rocca today.
Still did not shave.
First disappointment is such a thick stainless steel handle being so lightweight. It is beautiful but it is hollow. No surprise if the Chinese as Yaqi and DS Cosmetic take over the market in this stainless steel niche.
Second disappointment is only a single Muhle blade included with such a expensive razor. At least a box full of 5 or 10 blades would be nice. Are they ashamed of their own blades ?

Muhle should learn from Indians. Pearl sent me 55 blades with my Pearl Adjustable Flexi Razor.

Let's see how this thing shave, is what really matters.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, I've only had one shave with the R94 so far but like it a lot. The supplied blade however was not as aggressive, I shall try a feather or nacet next.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, I've only had one shave with the R94 so far but like it a lot. The supplied blade however was not as aggressive, I shall try a feather or nacet next.
I do fancy Muhle blades, seems as good fit with their razors, but in my defence I do lather a lot and thorough, so maybe I'm more tolerant to less sharper blades who knows?

Got my Muhle Rocca today.
Still did not shave.
First disappointment is such a thick stainless steel handle being so lightweight. It is beautiful but it is hollow. No surprise if the Chinese as Yaqi and DS Cosmetic take over the market in this stainless steel niche.
Second disappointment is only a single Muhle blade included with such a expensive razor. At least a box full of 5 or 10 blades would be nice. Are they ashamed of their own blades ?

Muhle should learn from Indians. Pearl sent me 55 blades with my Pearl Adjustable Flexi Razor.

Let's see how this thing shave, is what really matters.
Well, guess we have own preferences, I'm ok with the weight, more impprtant the balance. My Piccolo is lighter but mass is more concentrated and feels heavier, so I focus on overall feel of a razor. Hope you'll enjoy shaves at least

Reactions: edw

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Mühle blades are rebranded Personna. At one point they offered both in their store and also supplied a 10 pack which became a 5 pack and now ... one blade. 🤪

@edw the R94 pure steel is the heaviest of the Roccas, the other handles are even lighter. Had a lengthy debate about that, we put a lot of different Rocca handles on scales.

And kudos from me, I like heavy handles, too. The 100mm Barberpole from Timeless is one of my favorites, wish the Crown handle would also be available in SS +1cm. But I diverge, sorry.

Mühle blades are rebranded Personna. At one point they offered both in their store and also supplied a 10 pack which became a 5 pack and now ... one blade. 🤪

@edw the R94 pure steel is the heaviest of the Roccas, the other handles are even lighter. Had a lengthy debate about that, we put a lot of different Rocca handles on scales.

And kudos from me, I like heavy handles, too. The 100mm Barberpole from Timeless is one of my favorites, wish the Crown handle would also be available in SS +1cm. But I diverge, sorry.
Interesting thing regarding blades 🧐 still, Personna Platinum was one of the best-working for me and most durable. If it works - I don't care 🤗

awesome review mate, I own all three and yes the handles of the R95 and R96 are a little lighter but more importantly give a different feel in the hand when shaving, so it basically gives you a different feel but retains the same shave if that makes sense..

now with blades, I have not found a bad blade as it seems to take all well but the standout performer is the BIC blade. I personally never got along with this blade until I tried it on recommendation and havnt looked back. Do yourself a favour and try a BIC in your Rocca.

awesome review mate, I own all three and yes the handles of the R95 and R96 are a little lighter but more importantly give a different feel in the hand when shaving, so it basically gives you a different feel but retains the same shave if that makes sense..

now with blades, I have not found a bad blade as it seems to take all well but the standout performer is the BIC blade. I personally never got along with this blade until I tried it on recommendation and havnt looked back. Do yourself a favour and try a BIC in your Rocca.

Tomorrow will be my grand premiere with this razor and I'll put a BIC blade.

Tomorrow will be my grand premiere with this razor and I'll put a BIC blade.

you wont regret it mate.. i'll be keen to know how you get along with it

have also tried nacet, german Wilkie's (black), polsilver, gilette minoras in the rocca also.. they are all good but the BIC is sharpest and smoothest of the lot and for me def a standout performer

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Very nice review @couch_potato! :)

I have the R95 V4 and the R96 V3. Both very good razors. :

Some reading material that may be useful:

Thread 'Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD)' Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD) - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/comparison-of-de-razors-in-my-den-from-75-to-125-usd.600310/

Thread 'Comparison: Mühle Rocca R95 V4 and Rex Envoy' Comparison: Mühle Rocca R95 V4 and Rex Envoy - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/comparison-muehle-rocca-r95-v4-and-rex-envoy.616845/

The Rocca is an excellent razor. Ultimately (on MY face, skin and wiry beard), I prefer the Rex Envoy. The Envoy is in my Big Dogs Category. The Rocca is in my Runs With The Big Dogs Category. :)

Top Bottom