What's new

Muhle R95 Rocca Review - First Use

Anything that has a slim and also very rigged head design, preferably with a very steep angle, polished or plated (no matt finishes or unpolished and non plated bare brass, bronze or copper) and smooth bar plate or open comb teeth. I also have other minor requirements, but if a razors fits these, then the chances of me liking the razor are pretty good.

Razors that kinda fits into those requirements are:

NEW LC/RFB/NEW FB - I'm putting them as one razor, since there isn't a huge difference between them
New Improved
#160 Goodwill
Razorock Game Changer .84p
Razorock Lupo DC (with both .95 sb and .72 oc) - it's not a bad razor, but the bar isn't very comfortable and I don't use that razor very often
Barbaros TR2 and TR3
Blackland Blackbird - it fits the requirements to some degree, but not entirely
Gibbs #15 - same as the Blackbird
A SR?

Sorry, I was referring to a Gillette Single Ring 🫣

I've only shaved with an Old Type from 1921-1928 and I don't like it that much. I have Canadian Bulldog on it's way. I've always wanted to see how big the difference is between the Old Types from the 1900's and 1910's compared to the ones made between 1921 and 1928. I find the Old Type to be my most hated Gillette ever and while I'm not a huge fan of the Tech razors, at least they don't feel that bad compared to the Old Type in terms of comfort.

Hotel or Cheapie toothbrush mitigates this
A good thought. I've thought about doing that, but it seems to me that this would inevitably rub the brush bristles against the blades, which would either cut the bristles and/or have a dulling effect on the blades.

But in any case, I rarely use cartridges anymore except when traveling by air with only carry-on luggage, so I might try it at some point!
It would take quite some time or use for noticeable loss in either bristle or blade sharpness.
Just offering an easy solution that I know works well 🍻

I don't eat off dirty plates and I don't shave with dirty razors. It's so simple to remove the blade after each shave and run it under hot water along the the razor or components and dry. Blades are just patted dry and the razor is dried, both with a small microfiber towel. That old Gillette rinse, shake and put away is one way they got to sell you more blades. But this is B&B where everybody is right and nobody is wrong... ;)

I've only shaved with an Old Type from 1921-1928 and I don't like it that much. I have Canadian Bulldog on it's way. I've always wanted to see how big the difference is between the Old Types from the 1900's and 1910's compared to the ones made between 1921 and 1928. I find the Old Type to be my most hated Gillette ever and while I'm not a huge fan of the Tech razors, at least they don't feel that bad compared to the Old Type in terms of comfort.
What can I expect from this head, you think?

7CF08CFF-6711-4E2B-8FF2-BC729C48B895.jpeg
5205F53E-2243-43EA-843C-D9DC729C76CA.jpeg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It's certainly not that everyone on B&B is right and no one is wrong, it's more of a "there's more than one way to skin a cat" thing.
Something as subjective as shaving with the infinite possibilities of razor, blade, brush type and loft, soap choices and lather preferences makes everyone doing anything one single way virtually impossible.
We've long had an attitude here about the fear mongering aspect regarding "Cooties", as there are always some folks who can go to extremes like advocating using Barbicide on your own razor every day or sanitizing razors to the point of destroying them in the process.
Not saying that's the case here, but usually the folks who advocate a strict adherence to a particular cleanliness standard have no issue using dishes and silverware washed in a restaurant kitchen (which I can tell you is quite scary if you're a germaphobe), or using the ice from a restaurant ice machine, or not knowing if the busboy who set out your utensils and plate actually washed his hands after using the toilet or blowing his nose, or setting their toothbrush in a stand in the bathroom with fecal matter aerosolized in the air from flushes, or grabbing public doorknobs and touching their face later.
All of which is far dirtier and grosser than swishing a razor in a sink full of hot soapy water with your own whiskers in it, whiskers which were on your face mere seconds beforehand.
If you're putting your razor in your mouth, then I can see the dirty dishes analogy, but personally - I don't do that.
Everyone needs to do what they feel personally comfortable with, without implying (or inferring) that if anyone else doesn't do it, then they're wrong.
Why is that so hard to understand?

Last edited:
It's certainly not that everyone on B&B is right and no one is wrong, it's more of a "there's more than one way to skin a cat" thing.
Something as subjective as shaving with the infinite possibilities of razor, blade, brush type and loft, soap choices and lather preferences makes everyone doing anything one single way virtually impossible.
We've long had an attitude here about the fear mongering aspect regarding "Cooties", as there are always some folks who can go to extremes like advocating using Barbicide on your own razor every day or sanitizing razors to the point of destroying them in the process.
Not saying that's the case here, but usually the folks who advocate a strict adherence to a particular cleanliness standard have no issue using dishes and silverware washed in a restaurant kitchen (which I can tell you is quite scary if you're a germaphobe), or using the ice from a restaurant ice machine, or not knowing if the busboy who set out your utensils and plate actually washed his hands after using the toilet or blowing his nose, or setting their toothbrush in a stand in the bathroom with fecal matter aerosolized in the air from flushes, or grabbing public doorknobs and touching their face later.
All of which is far dirtier and grosser than swishing a razor in a sink full of hot soapy water with your own whiskers in it, whiskers which were on your face mere seconds beforehand.
If you're putting your razor in your mouth, then I can see the dirty dishes analogy, but personally - I don't do that.
Everyone needs to do what they feel personally comfortable with, without inferring that if anyone else doesn't do it, then they're wrong.
Well stated sir! 😊👍

What can I expect from this head, you think?

View attachment 1550701View attachment 1550702

That razor kinda reminds me of the Eclipse Red Ring. It's quite a mild razor and shallow angle works much better. The problem I have with the Red Ring is that when I try to adjust it and make it a bit more efficient, the whole razor becomes very tacky and it feels like it will fall apart any second. It's still a decent shaver though.

I will have my second shave with the Rocca tonight. I'll rinse it under hot water to clean it.

*I have always swished the razors back-n-forth in a full sink, because that's how I learned to shave. That's how Dad did it, and all my male room mates before I got married. Now I know!

And I didn't mean to imply the handle would be damaged by water. Obviously it won't. I meant that I was removing it to keep it "pristine" in case I sold it later. No soap or anything in the grooves. The stacked birch rings have a definite texture and I didn't want to be scrubbing it with a toothbrush if I decided not to keep it.
Hey OP, keep up with the reviews and don’t worry about the negative stuff.

This Rocca is on my short list. And I always rinse my razors after a couple swipes and my faucet seems to have a good bit of pressure over my older one and helps tremendously.

While I have the EJ 3one6 and find it a great razor and see your already considering it, I want to make one more suggestion. Out of all the razors I’ve tried so far (20+) I absolutely love my Razorock GameChanger 84p which has great lather holes and outshaves everything I’ve tried while being the cheapest SS razor on the market. They are $55 new with most handles but I prefer the BarberPole handle which is about $58. I would be very surprised if you don’t like this razor.

Until recently my go to was the R89 style head and I found most razors too aggressive. The 84p is definitely more aggressive but feels so smooth to me. I don’t have as much use with the EJ3one6 since I prefer the 84p and have been testing out lots of blades the past couple months since getting it. You can also find one of these used on the BST very frequently in the $45 range if not cheaper at times.

You also may want to consider a Blackland ERA level 4SB while still in stock. They are discontinued and on sale for $55 and with a signup coupon you can get it for under $50.

I imagine it will be sold out today sometime and I’ve been looking for the 5SB for awhile with no luck and now sadly they are discontinued. I don’t have many shaves with my ERA 4SB but believe it is one of the smoothest razors I’ve used while still having great efficiency.

Yea I still prefer my GC 84p, but just slightly and will be giving the ERA a lot of love in the near future. If any one razor can surpass the GC for me it’s the ERA with the 5 plate I haven’t tried yet. I think a tad more efficiency/aggressiveness would get me there.

So my first recommendation is the GC84P, but since the ERA is likely to sell out in the next few hours with the 4SB I highly recommend it and imagine the prices will only go up and it’ll be an easy resell for you if you don’t like it.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I really liked the end result after I was done shaving with my R41. I still think that the R41 is one if not the most efficient DE razor I've owned. I've never had any issues like cuts, nicks or irritation, but the shave itself was more like scraping and it was very unpleasant.

Using the R41 and a fresh Feather blade, the only blade I can use in that razor and only for a single shave, gives me a 12 hour BBS after 3 full passes and two clean ups. That shave takes me 15-20 minutes because I need to be so cautious and I cannot shave ATG until the third pass or there will be blood.

Using my Fatip Grande with either a Gillette Yellow, or a Polsilver even on shave 20, I can do a single buffing pass directly ATG and have the same 12 hour BBS finish in under 5 minutes.

How efficient is the R41? Not very. It does give a very close shave but it doesnt give me the kind of shave I want.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I find the Old Type to be my most hated Gillette ever and while I'm not a huge fan of the Tech razors, at least they don't feel that bad compared to the Old Type in terms of comfort.

With a perfectly straight Old Type I feel virtually nothing. Old Types can be damaged easily over the years and they are a bit soft and fragile. When I first got my Single Ring, I could barely use it.

Old Types can appear to be in great condition until you know what to look for then some might surprise you. My 1916 Single Ring below.

Before. Notice the corners of the cap and the airspace around the blade.

before (2).jpg

After 30 seconds with a steel nail file to remove those 'feet' on the cap corners.

after (2).JPG

It was barely usable in the first picture but after filing those 'feet' off, it became wonderfully smooth.

For a comparison, my made in Canada Old Type that is perfectly straight and square. Notice how firmly the blade is clamped to the flats of the teeth in the comb.

Canadian.jpg

That made in Canada Old Type with a fresh Feather blade is capable of giving me the best DE shave I can have, but it isnt easy to use. Old Types have negative blade exposure.

Canadian.jpg

When you cant feel the blade you dont know where it is and the natural tendency is to increase pressure so that you can. That is a mistake. With a fresh Feather blade, you'll plane off skin without even feeling it or knowing it until you see blood. Mastering that combination however, will show you just how great a razor the Old Type is.

Old Types need to be dead straight and square to get the most from them and few are because they're so old.

Everyone needs to do what they feel personally comfortable with, without inferring that if anyone else doesn't do it, then they're wrong.
^ This, +1 except I would suggest "implying" rather than "inferring."

The implying that others are doing it wrong -- that's what tends to rub people the wrong way. Let's remember the golden rule (the real one, not "he who has the gold makes the rules :)).

It's not about the hate, but I rarely see anyone saying things like - ''oh wow, this is the best razor i've ever used''. That doesn't mean that the razor is bad or anything, but I have my doubts that it would ''blow me away'', which is what I'm after. I've reached a point where I only buy razors that are matching my shaving style and preferences and are liked by likewise individuals. ''Good enough'' modern razors are no longer good enough for me and unfortunately, I've started to skip most budget razors for that reason, since they tend to be just that - ''good enough''.
well... Rocca did wow-ed me, must admit 😊
Thread 'Muhle Rocca - a true rocker!' Muhle Rocca - a true rocker! - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/muhle-rocca-a-true-rocker.627203/

Can't dispute on personal preferences as I like entire Muhle range but must say that Rocca gives unique feel (which some would like more or less) although I like razors with "source of aggressiveness" in blade exposure (Fatip, R41) with less gap vs. large gap only (Rocca, Futur etc). Horses for courses I guess.

The R95 will likely be one of my next razor purchase in a couple months when I get around to testing new razors again. Especially with the overseas prices being so good.

Since I got into DE last year I’ve been sporadically testing various razors/blades/soaps etc with no real order to it with only a shave or two on many razors before trying something else but now that I found the Razorock GC84p to be “the one”, I have been testing various blades one at a time for over a month. I have another 20+ blades to go using one every other day and keeping a chart for what works best.

From here on I plan to stick with things a little more before moving onto the next thing and am hopeful of finding a couple more razors I like as well or better then my 84p. Not that I need them, but because it’s a fun journey. The Rocca is one I think could be up there with the 84p and is beautiful.

I think it's just the way I rinse my razor between passes. I fill the sink with hot water and swish the razor back and forth in that throughout my shave. Just the way I've always done it.

My new Timeless heads come totally clean like that, which is one of the things I love about them. If this R95 had clean-out grooves like other razors, I think it would be my new favorite.

But the shave it gave me was great. I've been touching my cheeks and licking my upper lip all afternoon. My upper lip hasn't been this smooth since I was 12!

Here's the factory handle next to the one I'm using. I know it's waterproof, but not knowing if I'll keep it made me take it off to keep it safe. It's a $100 razor so if I resell it, I want it to still be as-new.
View attachment 1548865

Here's some pics of it next to the R89 I've used for so long. The R95 is a handsome piece of stainless, and it holds/centers the blade MUCH better than the R89. I'm just not sold on the solid bottom.
View attachment 1548866View attachment 1548867View attachment 1548868
I am a shower shaver, I turn off the shower and shave, rinsing my razor in a cup of water. Although I love my Rocca, it is harder to rinse.

You've every right to post your opinion on it.
It's absurd to think that a razor has to be rinsed a certain way.
No. You're NOT doing it wrong. You're doing it differently.
If the only way you can rinse the razor is by jetting water at the head, then IMHO the design is crap.
There's a reason razors have been made for over a century with rinsing slots.

I don't think that you necessarily have to jet water on the head to rinse it?

This does not necessarily make it a crap design either?

Still, I do find the design odd? Why not have rinsing slots on the bottom? Maybe it is for practical reasons or it might just be for esthetic reasons?

Either way, it seems to rinse OK for me. Though, if I were designing it, I would still put rinsing slots along the bottom.

It does appear to me that with the large gap and large channels, that it was designed for easy rinsing. In the end, it works and that is what matters at the end of the day!

Yeah, I get that. This is a good razor that's beautifully designed and made. It "blows me away" from the looks department, not the shave. Don't get me wrong, for me, the shave is very good but then so are most razors... That said, I like looking at and handling this one the most!

I am tending to agree with you here. I do like the looks better than the shave. It does have that certain blow me away look. The shave is good, but so are most modern razors.

The shave, while good, did not blow me away. The razor is one of my more recent acquisitions and I still need to get more shaves under my belt before forming a more final opinion of the razor.

Note: I did buy my Rocca used for $70, not the $120 retail. I would say that it is worth $70, not $120. I still prefer the R41 head for $25.

Last edited:
Top Bottom