What's new

Muhle R95 Rocca Review - First Use

*This review is of the shave head only. I put it onto a favorite handle so I don't water-damage the new R95 birch handle (in case I re-sell it).

R89 -
I am a long-time Muhle R89 user and fan. That is a mild razor and takes me a minimum 3 passes for a good shave (WTG, XTG, ATG, touch-ups).

I shave every 3 days. After my first full-pass (whole face WTG) I need to disassemble the razor and clean the hair/soap out, because it dosn't rinse all that well. But I NEVER nick myself, no matter how tired, hurried, or drunk I might be. It is a nice, gentle, safe razor.

Timeless .68 SB and OC -
I recently got two .68 Timeless razors. I LOVE the big clean-out channels and as long as I'm careful and take my time, they give me a noticeably better shave than the R89. Fewer passes, and I stay smooth longer over the next day. But I need to take my time and be very purposeful.

R95 Rocca -
So I just got this R95. I wanted something safe and comfortable like the R89, but a little more aggressive/efficient. The stacked birch handle is attractive and feels great in the hand, and is surprisingly light. I am using a different handle for this review to 1) preserve the original handle and 2) have a more consistent review. Same handle and Shark blade that I use on all my favorite razor heads.

The razor felt great. It shaved closer and smoother than the R89. Less passes. Less touch-ups. No fear. Buttery smooth.

But it clogs up like a Mother! I needed to take it apart twice for cleaning before I was done! This plate has no rinse slots on the bottom, and I think that's it's only fault. It would be a great daily, but for my purposes as a 2x week shave, I don't think it'll cut it.

Verdict - Great, smooth, gentle razor. Better than R89 without being scary. BUT no rinse ports on the plate is a major design flaw.

20221030_091006.jpg
20221030_134443.jpg
20221030_131724.jpg
20221030_141019.jpg
98b811a8419f8c17976b4f714fd8.jpeg

Very nice! Mühle makes attractive razors. The closed baseplate is an interesting design choice. The Rocca is a razor I would like to try at some point.

I have no trouble rinsing my R95 Rocca under running water, with the water directed at the blade it shoots out the sides of the razor quite easily. The cork handle is fine in water although I did treat mine with Ballistol; I believe I read that on the Muhle website.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I have the R94 (the steel handled version) it is my favourite razor, smooth and efficient I have no problems cleaning it under running water the water shoots out the sides when the channels are clear it doesn't agree with all blades as it doesn't clamp the blades right out to the edges but it has earned a permanent part in my rotation.

I think it's just the way I rinse my razor between passes. I fill the sink with hot water and swish the razor back and forth in that throughout my shave. Just the way I've always done it.

My new Timeless heads come totally clean like that, which is one of the things I love about them. If this R95 had clean-out grooves like other razors, I think it would be my new favorite.

But the shave it gave me was great. I've been touching my cheeks and licking my upper lip all afternoon. My upper lip hasn't been this smooth since I was 12!

Here's the factory handle next to the one I'm using. I know it's waterproof, but not knowing if I'll keep it made me take it off to keep it safe. It's a $100 razor so if I resell it, I want it to still be as-new.
20221030_185954.jpg

Here's some pics of it next to the R89 I've used for so long. The R95 is a handsome piece of stainless, and it holds/centers the blade MUCH better than the R89. I'm just not sold on the solid bottom.
20221030_190644.jpg
20221030_190627.jpg
20221030_190740.jpg

Good luck! My question is, why did you buy this version with the birch handle instead of one of the other versions?

I think it's just the way I rinse my razor between passes. I fill the sink with hot water and swish the razor back and forth in that throughout my shave. Just the way I've always done it.

My new Timeless heads come totally clean like that, which is one of the things I love about them. If this R95 had clean-out grooves like other razors, I think it would be my new favorite.

But the shave it gave me was great. I've been touching my cheeks and licking my upper lip all afternoon. My upper lip hasn't been this smooth since I was 12!

Here's the factory handle next to the one I'm using. I know it's waterproof, but not knowing if I'll keep it made me take it off to keep it safe. It's a $100 razor so if I resell it, I want it to still be as-new.
View attachment 1548865

Here's some pics of it next to the R89 I've used for so long. The R95 is a handsome piece of stainless, and it holds/centers the blade MUCH better than the R89. I'm just not sold on the solid bottom.
View attachment 1548866View attachment 1548867View attachment 1548868

Take a look at the Edwin Jagger 3one6, it is very similar to the Rocca but has conventional rinse holes. Perhaps you would prefer it over the Rocca.

Why ask?
You no like?
I own one. The birch handle was the main reason I bought it. The OP seems to have bought the wrong razor based on his immediate switching out of the handle in fear of getting it wet and not successfully being able to rinse it in a basin of water (which the wrong approach anyway).

I own one. The birch handle was the main reason I bought it. The OP seems to have bought the wrong razor based on his immediate switching out of the handle in fear of getting it wet and not successfully being able to rinse it in a basin of water (which the wrong approach anyway).
I adore that razor. In fact, your posts and those of others I hold in high esteem made me decide to order it tonight, just a few hours before my GRUYERE starts 😎

Good luck! My question is, why did you buy this version with the birch handle instead of one of the other versions?
1) I think it's the best looking one (I love wood handles) and 2) it was in the B&B FS section at a decent price. The only place I found the cap/plate pieces for sale (without needing to buy a complete razor) was at proshave.com in Europe, and they don't seem to ship to the USA.
Take a look at the Edwin Jagger 3one6, it is very similar to the Rocca but has conventional rinse holes. Perhaps you would prefer it over the Rocca.
I just watched a GeoFatBoy video where he used them side by side. He liked both but the Rocca won on closeness, smoothness and hand feel.
*This is funny because there's a current thread about him and his videos, pretty much dogging him. I like his product reviews, and that "EJ 3ONE6 vs Muhle ROCCA Showdown" video was an excellent comparison video.

I have both the Rocca and 3one6 and find they shave very similarly. It's really 6 of one, half a dozen of the other between those two razors. Both perform very well.

Reactions: Kix
I have never had any issue with my roccas clogging and I shaved with much more hair than that in your pic, u must be doing something wrong but no idea what. Is your lather too thick?

Also the birch handle is water proof. Had mine 3 years still looks new

I have never had any issue with my roccas clogging and I shaved with much more hair than that in your pic, u must be doing something wrong but no idea what. Is your lather too thick?

Also the birch handle is water proof. Had mine 3 years still looks new
Swirling it in the sink basin vs. running it under hot water to rinse would be my guess. Water on, water off, just like the The Karate Kid.

Top Bottom