What's new

Muhle R89

It's a great razor. Unless your one of those who needs to take a layer of hide to prove your the ultimate shaver it is a beginner, novice and expert shaver. Partner it with a sharp blade and you'll never need anything more.

What don't you like about it?
I am considering this and the Merkur 34C for my first razor.
I've had both the Merkur 34C (really liked it, but gave it to one of my sons) and the Maggard V3, which is an EJ89 type head. I found it to be good, but the Merkur was more comfortable and more forgiving of poor technique.

Sent via mobile

It is good beginner razor. But when you get more experience you probably want R41. I like R41 more. It took sometime to learn to use it but is my daily razor many times.

It was my starter razor, forgiving of newbie errors, but as my technique and confidence grew I found it to be too mild for my taste. That's not really a criticism of the razor, more an acknowledgment of my preference for more assertive razors.

It's a very popular beginner option. It was too mild for me even as a beginner and I sold it because it took too many passes to accomplish what one pass with a cart would do. But others really like it. It did have a really nice even finish on it.

I love these threads. "Beginner razor". Can someone please tell me what a beginner razor is? I used an aristocrat for 25 years that was a dead ringer to my Muhle 89 as far as aggressiveness goes.

I love these threads. "Beginner razor". Can someone please tell me what a beginner razor is? I used an aristocrat for 25 years that was a dead ringer to my Muhle 89 as far as aggressiveness goes.

Many people need allot of blade exposure for a good shave, not even BBS, just a good shave. So I assume people want to start with a razor with little blade exposure and work their way up to more blade exposure or a straight razor.

My 48 Aristocrat is my favorite razor, I don't mind putting in the work for an irritation free BBS shave everyday.

Many people need allot of blade exposure for a good shave, not even BBS, just a good shave. So I assume people want to start with a razor with little blade exposure and work their way up to more blade exposure or a straight razor.

My 48 Aristocrat is my favorite razor, I don't mind putting in the work for an irritation free BBS shave everyday.
I get that but to say that just because a razor doesn't skin you doesn't mean it's a beginners razor. My wife is Italian and I gurantee as hairy as any man on this site if she lets her legs go for a week. She used my razor on a recent trip which just happened to be an R89 and it mowed it down with ease. I can use an aggressive razor or a mild and in 2 passes I'm done so aggressiveness is overrated, your still using the edge of the blade now matter how much sticks out. Lots of misinformation is given to newbies looking to buy a razor.

I get that but to say that just because a razor doesn't skin you doesn't mean it's a beginners razor. My wife is Italian and I gurantee as hairy as any man on this site if she lets her legs go for a week. She used my razor on a recent trip which just happened to be an R89 and it mowed it down with ease. I can use an aggressive razor or a mild and in 2 passes I'm done so aggressiveness is overrated, your still using the edge of the blade now matter how much sticks out. Lots of misinformation is given to newbies looking to buy a razor.

No argument there about misinformation.

The OP asked about the 89, the link I posted wasn't about the razor, it was meant for the experience with the 89.

Top Bottom