What's new

Muhle R89 Advice Please

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I would echo the comments about shorter handles being preferable, at least for me. I do like heavier handles, however. Both the Muhle R89 and the Edwin Jagger DE89 mentioned here are excellent choices, but I would toss the Merdur 34C heavy duty short handle razor into the ring. I prefer it to the DE/R89 series of razors, just as comfortable and forgiving, IMO, but a bit heavier and grippier in the hand. It is my favorite modern razor.

John, there is also a short handle Edwin Jagger called "Kelvin". It's roughly the same length of the 34C and comes with a good looking knurled pattern (pic below). It's available only on Amazon UK. Here is the link Edwin Jagger Amazon Exclusive Kelvin Chrome Plated Knurled Handle Double Edge Safety Razor : Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edwin-Jagger-Amazon-Exclusive-Knurled/dp/B00K6Z24SK Mine has just been ordered today. :a39:

EdwinJaggerKelvinDERazorReview.jpg

I started out my DE path with a DE89 from Edwin Jagger and never got along with it for some reason. It's a fine razor, just didn't work for me.....so much so I almost gave up on wet shaving. If I were going to get a Muhle razor, I would highly suggest the Rocca. All stainless and a great shaving razor. It is easy to use and provides excellent results without irritation. Something to consider at least.

I have a Muhle R89 & the standard handle on the non twist version is just a little bit longer than the short handle on the 34C. I happen to own both & enjoy both. The Rocca is an excellent choice but for a new shaver it might be too aggressive & cost about $50 more. Although if one is in the States & buys either one from Amazon they're both returnable.

The Merkur 23C handle is longer than the standard handle on the Muhle R89 & 34C but it's a narrower handle. It's like the handle on my Merkur 33C which is the same size as the 34C but narrower. Again if you buy any of these razor as of today from Amazon in the states they are all returnable.

Last edited:
I have a Muhle R89 & the standard handle on the non twist version is just a little bit longer than the short handle on the 34C. I happen to own both & enjoy both. The Rocca is an excellent choice but for a new shaver it might be too aggressive & cost about $50 more. Although if one is in the States & buys either one from Amazon they're both returnable.

The Merkur 23C handle is longer than the standard handle on the Muhle R89 & 34C but it's a narrower handle. It's like the handle on my Merkur 33C which is the same size as the 34C but narrower. Again if you buy any of these razor as of today from Amazon in the states they are all returnable.

Thanks for all the advice! The item will be purchased in Germany so I don’t want to make a mistake! I also was not sure about the longer length Muhle R89 options but the consensus here is to stick with the regular. Solid advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the post. Is the Merkur 23c easier to shave with given the long handle?

Thanks for the post. Is the Merkur 23c easier to shave with given the long handle?
It depends on whether or not you prefer a longer handle. The 23C handle is long & narrow. I used to love longer handles but now prefer shorter handles like the ones in my Muhle R89, Merkur 34C/33C. Having said that if you can put one in your hands before buying that would give you your answer.

Just to complete this thread, I finally settled on the Muhle R89 Twist. Now I have to get used to it - but I love the length. Thanks for all the posts.

I would echo the comments about shorter handles being preferable, at least for me. I do like heavier handles, however. Both the Muhle R89 and the Edwin Jagger DE89 mentioned here are excellent choices, but I would toss the Merdur 34C heavy duty short handle razor into the ring. I prefer it to the DE/R89 series of razors, just as comfortable and forgiving, IMO, but a bit heavier and grippier in the hand. It is my favorite modern razor.

I also prefer my 34C & 33C over my Muhle R89. I traded my aluminum Lupo on this forum for a 33C. After using the 33C I had to buy a 34C. Lately I mainly use these 2 razors. Can't remember the last time I used my GC .68 & .84. Also love using my $6.45 Baili BR179.

John, there is also a short handle Edwin Jagger called "Kelvin". It's roughly the same length of the 34C and comes with a good looking knurled pattern (pic below). It's available only on Amazon UK. Here is the link Edwin Jagger Amazon Exclusive Kelvin Chrome Plated Knurled Handle Double Edge Safety Razor : Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edwin-Jagger-Amazon-Exclusive-Knurled/dp/B00K6Z24SK Mine has just been ordered today. :a39:

Ive got this too,very nice razor and good grippy handle too 👍

Top Bottom