What's new

Muhle R41

Had my first shave today with the R41. After listening to everyone and the various opinions on here, I was a little reluctant and a bit terrified. I am used to my Futur at around 3-4, so I wasn’t sure how aggressive was “too aggressive” for me. I have to say, I am impressed. No cuts or weepers, clean bbs shave with 3 passes and minor irritation. Went slow with no pressure and it was a success! I am sure the next few go-rounds I have with it I will get more accustomed to it and it will get better, but I will have to say I am pretty impressed and excited.

I've found the R41 to be a relatively mild razor. The Personna Med is my favorite blade.

Are you using too much pressure? If so, try backing off and letting the razor do the work.
I shave right out of the shower to make sure my face is prepped. If you're not doing this, you might try it.
Is there enough water in your lather so it glides rather than hops and skips?
Does blade sit evenly on the razor (rather than crooked)?
If none of these are the case, you might try using another Personna Med blade just in case yours is a dud.

You've got great equipment and I think you're eventually figure it out.

Really? Can you please recommend an aggressive DE safety razor? Just curious...

I had a great shave with my R41 Grande the other day for the first time. I prepped with pre-shave oil and used AoS shave cream to make my face as slippery as possible.

I just recently started using a R41 too. I do fine if I stick to WTG passes, usually 2. The two times I've tried ATG or XTG, I've ended up with tons of weepers & razor burn. I've be using it for about a week. It reminds me of how things felt when I first switched to DE shaving. I think this razor requires exacting technique.

Just used this for the first time today.. I'm in the crowd that LOVES it. I got the closest shave I have EVER gotten (still a newb, so take that FWIW)! I used Feather blades since this is what I was used to with my Merkur. I had read up on here, so I was sure to "let the blade do the work," no pressure what so ever on my face. I can really feel the blade working with this razor and I had to pay much more attention to my blade angle. I struggle with tugging around my chin area, and this razor forced me to find the right angle. Once I did, it was a very smooth shave. I will need to work on my technique ATG on my neck with this, I got mild razor burn there, but for a first time shave, I am very pleased. No nicks or weepers.

Got this razor since November last year. After good and bad shaves I've found some good tips that work for me. I have a really tough beard ll way to my neck and I shave once at 3 days.
So, beside the advises found on B&B, here are mine's :
- no hurry, no pressure. If you are in a hurry, forget R41;
- requires good preparation, especially good lather;
- works great with platinum coated blades than with stainless;
- pay attention to neck are, there is the problem for me;
- at the upper lip don't risk an ATG, just go from cheek to nose in diagonal (down to up). ATG there ends up always with blood;<br>
- you will find in time the best angle and grip that works for you;

Have a great shave with this beast! :biggrin1:

MUHLE R41 (2011)
Firstly, it looks amazing and it feels like pure quality. I couldn't keep my eyes off it until I loaded it with an Astra SP, then it looked like a natural born killer! I hit the shower, prepped up and scrubbed up and I could see it waiting by the sink through the foggy shower unit perspex. I couldn't help thinking 'What if this goes wrong, I'm only DE shaving since December". I stood in front of the sink and lathered up and I applied Proraso green using my new Semogue 830 Boar. I took a deep breath. This was it, I was ready. I began my first WTG pass, slowly and with extreme caution. This beast was loud and I knew there was a sharp blade against my skin during every second of the shave. I finished the first pass in absolute amazement for I had no nicks, cuts or burn and I was left with a BSS! Surely I was dreaming? One pass BSS? Ok, I did a little touch up under my chin but that was it. I never before had a shave this close. I have been using an EJ DE89L and while it is superb, you do need three passes and a sharp blade to get a BSS but the Mühle R41 is definitely closer and takes less time. I feel now that this is the razor for me. It an amazing piece of engineering by Mühle. I am so glad I bought it now. I would say, use an ultra feather touch, short strokes with the handle close to the face!

Every man should try one!

A.

MUHLE R41 (2011)
Firstly, it looks amazing and it feels like pure quality. I couldn't keep my eyes off it until I loaded it with an Astra SP, then it looked like a natural born killer! I hit the shower, prepped up and scrubbed up and I could see it waiting by the sink through the foggy shower unit perspex. I couldn't help thinking 'What if this goes wrong, I'm only DE shaving since December". I stood in front of the sink and lathered up and I applied Proraso green using my new Semogue 830 Boar. I took a deep breath. This was it, I was ready. I began my first WTG pass, slowly and with extreme caution. This beast was loud and I knew there was a sharp blade against my skin during every second of the shave. I finished the first pass in absolute amazement for I had no nicks, cuts or burn and I was left with a BSS! Surely I was dreaming? One pass BSS? Ok, I did a little touch up under my chin but that was it. I never before had a shave this close. I have been using an EJ DE89L and while it is superb, you do need three passes and a sharp blade to get a BSS but the Mühle R41 is definitely closer and takes less time. I feel now that this is the razor for me. It an amazing piece of engineering by Mühle. I am so glad I bought it now. I would say, use an ultra feather touch, short strokes with the handle close to the face!

Every man should try one!

A.

What does BSS stand for? Bloody Severe Shave?

I've had a hard time finding the right angle with mine. I did get a very close shave but with some irritation.

I enjoy using mine. I need 1 less pass than I do with most milder razors but the shave is close and comfortable for me.

But I say that about every razor so is anyone surprised?

More praise for Mühle R41

I just shaved with this for the second time and again it gave me a flawless BSS. No nicks, cuts or burn and my skin never felt better. I was still super-smooth 14 hours later.
Funny thing is my EJ DE89L gave me at least one nick every time I used it but so called super-aggressive the R41 drew no blood at all! A lot of guys have had trouble with the R41 but I think the secret with this razor is a low angle, short light strokes and zero pressure. I can't think of using anything else to shave with now it's so good!

More praise for Mühle R41

I just shaved with this for the second time and again it gave me a flawless BSS. No nicks, cuts or burn and my skin never felt better. I was still super-smooth 14 hours later.
Funny thing is my EJ DE89L gave me at least one nick every time I used it but so called super-aggressive the R41 drew no blood at all! A lot of guys have had trouble with the R41 but I think the secret with this razor is a low angle, short light strokes and zero pressure. I can't think of using anything else to shave with now it's so good!
What do you mean by low angle? Could you please relate it to handle position? Sorry. I guess I'm geometrically challenged.

Top Bottom