What's new

Muhle R41 - what angle is optimum for you ?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
We all have things that get under our skin. Mine is "closed comb" being the opposite of "open comb". Hello, it's a "safety bar" or "guard" people.

One of mine, too. How could it be a comb unless it's open? Lame.

Kinda like top cap vs cap, though. It's actually just a comb. :wink2:

Reactions: Cal
CAP RANT

(I can't help being pedantic, so please forgive me in advance.)

:a31: It really rattles me when people, including makers and sellers of DE razors (who should know better) call caps "top caps." Of course, I understand that this is the way we are "educated." Someone who apparently "knows" tells us something and we automatically believe it (because doing "research" on subjects tends to be seen as tantamount to developing conspiracy theories).

Personally, I wouldn't even consider wearing a "top cap" on my head. I'll stick to "cap" thank you. Mind you, the way we seem to be going (in this crazy world), that might be necessary to ensure we don't wear our caps on our feet (or butts).

View attachment 1085170

Rant over (I'll now slink into the corner and put on my "foot shoes"). :001_rolle
"And the pedantic shall inherit the Earth." I read that somewhere.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I doth mine top hat to those whom eschew closed comb bottom-plates and top caps.

The R41 could be a closed comb base. Or enthusiastically scalloped safety bar.

YMMW but for me the R41 isn't an easy going razor. I use a severe angle and the sharpest blade possible. If you use a neutral angle, you will drag the blade in a way which pulls the hairs before cutting them and with my thick hair this is very painful. The moustache area is also a bit annoying with this razor because the nose blocks out the razor and doesn't let me get that steep angle there.

YMMW but for me the R41 isn't an easy going razor. I use a severe angle and the sharpest blade possible. If you use a neutral angle, you will drag the blade in a way which pulls the hairs before cutting them and with my thick hair this is very painful. The moustache area is also a bit annoying with this razor because the nose blocks out the razor and doesn't let me get that steep angle there.

Yes, I agree. This is exactly my experience. I can only use the R41 with the handle as far from the face as possible (shallow angle / riding the cap). I need a 2nd razor to do the moustache, especially the top half of the moustache, right under the nose. You simply cannot ride the cap in this area going wtg. Xtg and atg is possible, but still not ideal IMO.

Funny things these razors. I love my mild shavers but every time I used my R41 I thought ''If I break this I'll have to immediately buy another one''. Years later I sold it on for pennies. I always regretted it though, despite still being a mild razor fan. So I bought another one. It arrived today. My regret has gone.

They are quite a unique razor and despite, as I say, being the champion of mild razors, I can get blinding results with one now that I understand it's quirky character. Also, they are great for trimming neck lines, cheek lines and around edges of a goatee, if one is so inclined to sport facial hair. A very useful tool.

Funny things these razors. I love my mild shavers but every time I used my R41 I thought ''If I break this I'll have to immediately buy another one''. Years later I sold it on for pennies. I always regretted it though, despite still being a mild razor fan. So I bought another one. It arrived today. My regret has gone.

They are quite a unique razor and despite, as I say, being the champion of mild razors, I can get blinding results with one now that I understand it's quirky character. Also, they are great for trimming neck lines, cheek lines and around edges of a goatee, if one is so inclined to sport facial hair. A very useful tool.
I already get good shaves from the R41, but currently I am working on getting better shaves from my flat bottom tech. Do you find that the improvements in technique using a milder razor transfer over to improved shaves with the R41?

CAP RANT

(I can't help being pedantic, so please forgive me in advance.)

:a31: It really rattles me when people, including makers and sellers of DE razors (who should know better) call caps "top caps." Of course, I understand that this is the way we are "educated." Someone who apparently "knows" tells us something and we automatically believe it (because doing "research" on subjects tends to be seen as tantamount to developing conspiracy theories).

Personally, I wouldn't even consider wearing a "top cap" on my head. I'll stick to "cap" thank you. Mind you, the way we seem to be going (in this crazy world), that might be necessary to ensure we don't wear our caps on our feet (or butts).

View attachment 1085170

Rant over (I'll now slink into the corner and put on my "foot shoes"). :001_rolle

It's nice how much extra time COVID-19 is giving us all. :)

I don't think the R41 requires anything out of the ordinary in terms of angle to be honest. Instead I just accept that it's an aggressive razor with a lot of blade-feel and that the first pass won't feel silky smooth (but subsequent passes do). However, all that blade-feel instantly improves my technique without any concious thought which means virtually zero post shave irritation! And that is more than I can say for a lot of my milder razors :)

Hi all.

I purchased a Muhle R41 about 12 months ago. This is the milder post 2013 model. The first few shaves were bad, so I put it to one side. 2 days ago, I decided to give it a whirl after several months of not using it. This time, I decided to "ride the cap" as much as possible, so the blade was just barely touching my face. The shave was much improved, but still not super comfortable. I have used different blades in this razor (Astra SP, Treet, Voskhod). I will persist with the R41, but I only use it for the 1st and 2nd pass - I will use other razors for the 3rd pass.

At any rate, I was just wondering what other shavers find to be the best angle for the R41 - do you ride the cap, or use the standard 30 degrees, or something else ?

Thanks

For many years, the R41 was one of my favorite razors (it still is!) and even my daily driver for quite some time. The first shaves with it were rough/bad… I think all razors have their own learning curve, this one’s might be a bit steeper… Some of the things I’ve learned that helped me tame this beast and that might help you (or not!):
  • Common sense initially told me that it would be best to pair a mild blade with such an aggressive razor. It didn’t work out for me with the R41, the shaves were just pully/tuggy. The shaves improved dramatically for me when I started using the sharpest blades. I currently use mine almost exclusively with Kais (Feathers work too but shaves 1-3 with Feathers are always full of drama for me, on all my razors).
  • I’m hesitant to recommend a shaving angle since I use the steepest angle I can get away with on all my razors. The handle is not quite parallel to the face but, oh idk, 5-10 degrees?
  • Apply very little pressure. I know that this is a recommendation you get with most razors, but it’s especially valid for the R41. With just a little bit more pressure than necessary and you might not cut/nick yourself, but you’ll most likely end up with a lot of irritation/redness.
  • Use short strokes. Another general recommendation but again a very important one for the R41 (for me at least).
  • Take your time, go slow… Yeah, another one.
  • Pay close attention to audible feedback, and this razor gives you plenty! It can help you tell if you are going too hard on your stubble.
  • Get a Fatip OC.
The last one is just me trying to be a bit funny, doesn’t work most of the time, sorry about that…

The R41 is a wonderful shaving tool, not the easiest nor the quickest one to master for sure… But with a little bit of patience and perseverance you should be able to tame yours, just like I did mine. And then you’ll be rewarded with some of the closest shaves you'll ever get, with minimum irritation and redness. I don’t think they’ll ever be your most comfortable ones, but they won’t be too bad neither.

Good luck!

Sometimes I get a good shave most times not. If I have a lot of growth then the razor gets tuggy and basically too damn dangerous to use. Not sure how to fix that.

Top Bottom