What's new

Muhle R41 - what angle is optimum for you ?

Hi all.

I purchased a Muhle R41 about 12 months ago. This is the milder post 2013 model. The first few shaves were bad, so I put it to one side. 2 days ago, I decided to give it a whirl after several months of not using it. This time, I decided to "ride the cap" as much as possible, so the blade was just barely touching my face. The shave was much improved, but still not super comfortable. I have used different blades in this razor (Astra SP, Treet, Voskhod). I will persist with the R41, but I only use it for the 1st and 2nd pass - I will use other razors for the 3rd pass.

At any rate, I was just wondering what other shavers find to be the best angle for the R41 - do you ride the cap, or use the standard 30 degrees, or something else ?

Thanks

I have not really found much value in the riding the cap technique with any razor, myself. I go with the standard 30ish degrees as I do with any of my DEs. As a newb with this razor trying to respect the reputation as a beast of a razor I actually fit it with a heavier stainless handle and just let the weight of the razor and gravity do it’s thing. Now I’m quite a bit more comfortable with the razor and still loving it.

Thanks gents. I don't ride the cap with any of my other razors (Merkur 34C and 37C, and EJ DE89), but if I don't do it with the R41, I get tuggy, uncomfortable shaves, with redness and discomfort.

Oh well.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Funny, about the R41. Mine (2nd gen) used to be my daily driver (with Astra greens) for several years. I found it extremely smooth, comfortable, efficient and easy to handle without drawing blood, despite the razor's fierce reputation as a man eater.

Then I grew a beard.

Once I shaved the shrubbery off, everything changed: I found I couldn't tolerate the razor any longer. Just way too much blade feel. I've been DE shaving for more than fifty years, so finding and settling into an optimum angle is pretty much second nature, but I never was able to dial in the R41 again.

Now I shave with much milder razors: an Oristo, a Mamba 70 and a Hone Type 15. All shave me close, and without drama.

Who knows? Maybe I'll give it another shot and all will be well. Stranger things have happened.

After 5 plus years DE shaving I have settled on a neutral angle, both cap and safety bar equally on skin, as the most efficient angle for each razor. With some of the more aggressive razors like the R41 that angle requires the lightest of touches to avoid blood, at least for me. I rarely use my R41 anymore, most of my shaves are with mild to moderately aggressive razors. When I was using the R41 regularly I rode the safety bar/steep angle and got a tolerably smooth, very close shave.

Hi all.

I purchased a Muhle R41 about 12 months ago. This is the milder post 2013 model. The first few shaves were bad, so I put it to one side. 2 days ago, I decided to give it a whirl after several months of not using it. This time, I decided to "ride the cap" as much as possible, so the blade was just barely touching my face. The shave was much improved, but still not super comfortable. I have used different blades in this razor (Astra SP, Treet, Voskhod). I will persist with the R41, but I only use it for the 1st and 2nd pass - I will use other razors for the 3rd pass.

At any rate, I was just wondering what other shavers find to be the best angle for the R41 - do you ride the cap, or use the standard 30 degrees, or something else ?

Thanks
I pretty much ride the bar (handle more parallel with the face) when I use my 2013 (milder) R41 Grande. I also find that I must use sharp blades with it, like Astra SP, US Personna blues, or sharper, and blade life seems to be shorter in the R41 than in other razors, for whatever reason.

Some love them, but I find the R41 (mine was the 1st gen) TOO much! I could not get on with that razor. I could get OK shaves but never comfortable.

For me, the optimal combination is a ’mild/moderate’ razor plus a sharp blade! :clap: :clap:

The R41 works well for me if and only if I use a sharp blade (eg. Feather, Polsilver) and ride the cap. This is especially true for ATG.

I have no experience with the Muhle R41, but I predict many shavers will claim they use a steep angle, many shavers will claim the use a shallow angle, and still other shavers will claim they get the best shave with a neutral angle.
I have experience with the R41 and completely agree with your statement. That's exactly what I think every time I see an angle question.

For the OP, my preference for *any* razor is shaving at the steepest angle (riding the guard) that the blade cuts at while applying just enough pressure for the guard to stretch the skin.

Reactions: Cal

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Imagine the red line below the level of my skin as I use mine.

R41.Angle.jpg

Using a fresh Feather blade limits the tugging feeling as much as possible, but it doesnt feel secure or lend confidence.

For the OP, my preference for *any* razor is shaving at the steepest angle (riding the guard) that the blade cuts at while applying just enough pressure for the guard to stretch the skin.

Except one, but that razor has no guard lol.

Except one, but that razor has no guard lol.
You're right - I thought I said "safety razor" but I clearly did not, and you had to call me out ;-)

I have a DEvette also, and steep is about as painful as a shave can be.

Top Bottom