What's new

Muhle R41 My Thoughts

Took a stab at the morning postbreakfast (well fed and caffeinated) r41 + astra + preshave + ludicrous amounts of luxurious shaving cream today.. weekend shave .. taking my time with nothing to do afterwards..

While I do agree it shaves closer perhaps than say the r89 (etc) w/ less work, to say ones face feels a bit raw is a bit of an understatement. This is great if one considers it the men's equivalent of some really expensive exfoliant thingy our SO's go on about, but the alum block certainly tells you this is a very different beast (but ooh check out our new skin or whatever!)

My main issue with the r41 is it really feels like the entire blade edge just vibrates against your face when it catches hair which leads to geofatboys strange shaving technique (shaving a centimeter of the face at a time) and/or just an unpleasant experience all around because there is a random angle now pointing at your skin (hence the rawness).

I suppose this is probably not true but I can't help but think the head doesn't hold the blade rigidly enough. If the blade just stayed in one place w/out vibrating like a cheap hotel bed it wouldn't be such a random murder machine?

Avi

• Haha
Reactions: CCR
Some polarising views on this razor eh. Here's my tuppence worth...

I bought a R41 about six years ago when I knew nothing about them. I used it off and on for years. My preference is for mild razors but I like the R41 character so I kept it. It shaved well albeit it was not the smoothest razor for me ATG. Whenever I used it I would grimace at the lack of smoothness. I would also think if I broke it I would have to buy another. It had character. I found because of the substantial blade exposure it was great for getting in close to my goatee's edges.

Having not used it for a period of time, I gave it away, immediately regretted that, and bought a new R41 head. Pleased with my new old friend I went to shave with it. Straight away I noticed it had less blade exposure. That was obvious when getting in close to my goatee but the shave was rough as a badgers butt and felt like it scraped more than cut. I completed my shave and threw it in the bin in disgust.

I had always assumed my first R41 was the Post 2013 version, because I had bought it around 2014-2015. It was obviously the older version with more blade exposure. I thought the newer version was just rubbish. Way too much of a scraper. Muhle ruined one of the most efficient affordable DE razors around.

All that from someone who prefers a mild razor.

I had always assumed my first R41 was the Post 2013 version, because I had bought it around 2014-2015. It was obviously the older version with more blade exposure. I thought the newer version was just rubbish. Way too much of a scraper. Muhle ruined one of the most efficient affordable DE razors around.

That is exactly it .. it feels like it "scrapes" your face in the most rough manner possible. I was attributing that to the blade flexing about randomly (which is what it feels like it is doing).

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
My main issue with the r41 is it really feels like the entire blade edge just vibrates against your face when it catches hair which leads to geofatboys strange shaving technique (shaving a centimeter of the face at a time) and/or just an unpleasant experience all around because there is a random angle now pointing at your skin (hence the rawness).

I suppose this is probably not true but I can't help but think the head doesn't hold the blade rigidly enough. If the blade just stayed in one place w/out vibrating like a cheap hotel bed it wouldn't be such a random murder machine?

As to the loose blade, that was long a fear of mine with this razor. That is the very reason I bought my Schone/Fatip back when I wanted a more aggressive razor. I was giving the R41 a pass on that basis.

However, for me, it works well. Granted I do feel more tug on the whiskers with this than just about any other razor. However what I don't get is any sort of irritation.

I don't feel actual chatter except if I try to go ATG on the upper lip. I think the reason may be down to angle I shave at. I ride the cap. That presents the blade relatively perpendicular to my whiskers. The pressure the whiskers put on the blade probably flows mostly into the blade, thus not a lot of bending of the blade that would induce chatter.

On my WTG strokes I can do long strokes, long Gillette glide, etc.

Really, don't know what to tell you. I think this is not the razor for you. I would not worry in the least about it. Plenty of razors in the sea so to speak.

I've got a 2013 version of the R41 that I liked when I first got it, but it wasn't quite enough--I wanted a bit more blade feel. So I bought the 2011 version. Worried about the longevity of Zamak, I then bought another 2011. Now I'm content with my R41 situation.

That is exactly it .. it feels like it "scrapes" your face in the most rough manner possible. I was attributing that to the blade flexing about randomly (which is what it feels like it is doing).

I attribute it to the design of the head in that the shallowest angle possible that will still cut efficiently, is still kinda steep. It's a scraper by nature. The older version with more exposure could go a bit shallower, so was a bit less scrapey. They are not the most comfortable razor to shave with ATG and most people who love them admit that. I did like my older one though. The end result in two passes was very nice, and it was a take what you get, two passes. Touch ups were a bit risky. The 'take what you get' result was nice enough though.

My go-to most aggressive razor now is the Edwin Jagger 3ONE6. Like the R41 I don't use it often but I like the deep shave it can achieve and it's quirky personality.

Reactions: Avi

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I don't think a loud shave is an indication of chatter. I have a Gem Junior that is very loud and a 3D printed TNNSER that is super loud and I will guarantee you they don't chatter. I like an audible shave. It's easy to hear when you have more whiskers to mow and when you don't. Some razors naturally resonate the sound and some don't. The R41 does and for some it probably chatters. The noise you hear from the R41 may or may not be chatter. It makes noise all the time.

I've thought about getting a Muhle R-41 for my tough old whiskers, but not seriously.

I reason that if I would relate well to an R-41, then I also would enjoy my Fat Boy and Slim set at 9. But I don't.

Thought I'd try this again today.. My take away is I am super impressed by those of you who can use this against your face daily.. its definitely a fun razor!!! Well fun in the same way being smacked in the face really hard is fun :)

Chatter depends on blade thickness and rigidity. Not all DE blades have the same pliability and thickness
Do you have any scientific basis for this at all?. Rigidity does relate to thickness but despite the urban legend about Kai there is very little variation in thickness among blades and I've experienced no correlation as you describe in the R41 (Treet Plats chatter no more than Personna Blue). I believe chatter in a DE is primarily a function of razor design.

Sputnik - 0.0350
Derby Extra - 0.0400
Gillette Silver Blue- 0.0350
Polsilver SI - 0.0400
Wizamet Super Iridium - 0.0350
Gillette 7Oclock Sharp Edge - 0.0350
Gilletee 7Oclock Super Platinum - 0.0350
BIC Chrome Platinum - 0.0400
Shark Super Chrome - 0.0390
Feather - 0.0410
Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus - 0.0375
Superinox Bolzano - 0.0390
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless - 0.0425
Lord Platinum - 0.0425
Gillette Nacet Stainless - 0.0450
Rapira Platinum Lux - 0.0400
Perma Sharp Stainless - 0.0350
Treet Platinum - 0.0350
Shap Star - 0.0400
Persona Med Prep - 0.0400
Treet Platinum Super Stainless 0.0390
Persona Platinum Chrome - 0.0400
Shaverboy Super Stainless - 0.0450
Voskhod - 0.0400
Astra Superior Stainless - 0.0400
Astra Superior Platinum - 0.0350
Super Max Blue Diamond - 0.0400
Wizamet Super Iridium Extra Stainless - 0.0375
Gillette Sword - 0.0400
Gillette Platinum - 0.0375
Vidyut Super-Max - 0.0375
Gillette New Improved Stainless - 0.0375
Super Max Platinum - 0.0400
Trig Silver edge - 0.0375
ZorrikSuper Platinum - 0.0375
Croma Diamont Stainless - 0.0400
Kai SS - 0.0400

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Do you have any scientific basis for this at all?. Rigidity does relate to thickness but despite the urban legend about Kai there is very little variation in thickness among blades and I've experienced no correlation as you describe in the R41 (Treet Plats chatter no more than Personna Blue). I believe chatter in a DE is primarily a function of razor design.

Sputnik - 0.0350
Derby Extra - 0.0400
Gillette Silver Blue- 0.0350
Polsilver SI - 0.0400
Wizamet Super Iridium - 0.0350
Gillette 7Oclock Sharp Edge - 0.0350
Gilletee 7Oclock Super Platinum - 0.0350
BIC Chrome Platinum - 0.0400
Shark Super Chrome - 0.0390
Feather - 0.0410
Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus - 0.0375
Superinox Bolzano - 0.0390
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless - 0.0425
Lord Platinum - 0.0425
Gillette Nacet Stainless - 0.0450
Rapira Platinum Lux - 0.0400
Perma Sharp Stainless - 0.0350
Treet Platinum - 0.0350
Shap Star - 0.0400
Persona Med Prep - 0.0400
Treet Platinum Super Stainless 0.0390
Persona Platinum Chrome - 0.0400
Shaverboy Super Stainless - 0.0450
Voskhod - 0.0400
Astra Superior Stainless - 0.0400
Astra Superior Platinum - 0.0350
Super Max Blue Diamond - 0.0400
Wizamet Super Iridium Extra Stainless - 0.0375
Gillette Sword - 0.0400
Gillette Platinum - 0.0375
Vidyut Super-Max - 0.0375
Gillette New Improved Stainless - 0.0375
Super Max Platinum - 0.0400
Trig Silver edge - 0.0375
ZorrikSuper Platinum - 0.0375
Croma Diamont Stainless - 0.0400
Kai SS - 0.0400

Well, first of all I haven't described a correlation in R41. You might have mistaken me with someone posting in the earlier posts in the thread. Just take a blade and try to force it and see how easy it bends. And do so with many different brands of blades. You'll see that some are much more pliable, although the variation in thickness is very small as you paste the measurements of many brands. I do agree that the main factor for blade chatter is razor design, but still it is not the only factor.

Well, first of all I haven't described a correlation in R41. .

I'm unclear then as to the point then of your comment, but fine, no need to get off track. I don't agree with your assertion that the thinner DE blades as a class are more chatter prone in practice, at least not in the razor under discussion. (Comparing DE blades to injector/AC blades is another thing entirely).

Last edited:
Top Bottom