What's new

Muhle R41 My Thoughts

i own and love my r41.. if Muhle every brought this out in SS in would be on it in an instant

@Chandu give the razor a shot while riding the cap more. I find with this razor a shallow angle gives me the smoothest feeling when shaving and have no problem going ATG with this angle.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
i own and love my r41.. if Muhle every brought this out in SS in would be on it in an instant

@Chandu give the razor a shot while riding the cap more. I find with this razor a shallow angle gives me the smoothest feeling when shaving and have no problem going ATG with this angle.
I will. I do tend to ride the cap (shallow angle) with this, but the upper lip, I may not be doing that as much. I need to pay closer attention. Tomorrow!

Stainless would be nicer or brass, but I don't care when it shaves this well. If I had to buy one a year, it would be worth it.

I will. I do tend to ride the cap (shallow angle) with this, but the upper lip, I may not be doing that as much. I need to pay closer attention. Tomorrow!

Stainless would be nicer or brass, but I don't care when it shaves this well. If I had to buy one a year, it would be worth it.

also i found (as you prob know anyway) the lighter the touch with this razor the better so try an intentionally lighter touch on your ATG pass... let us know how that goes

Getting to BBS on my head with a DE absolutely requires going ATG, and the R41 is a razor that resists that effort more than I find acceptable.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
Might be a mixture of angle and how "pasty" the lather is.....runny lather is better for the head. I just used an R41 for half head/face and the other half was w a Schick E2. AG w R41, riding the cap seems smooth with a Gillette Super Thin. But aren't we all different.

but the razor has been decided.
And thats the bottom line

I used my 2011 this morning with a Wizamet SI - Its not a razor that I can use every day.
I have a 2pass BBS but the Alum stung somewhat. (But no weepers)

Last edited:
The R41 is one of my all-time favorite razors. I will never be without one (I have three now ;-). Epic efficiency; nothing I’ve tried even comes close to its ability to mow down wire-like stubble. Steep angle is best for me.

I don't get this (and I ask as I am enjoying the r89 so much I keep wanting to breakout the r41 again) but aren't the places the R41 does not work ATG really the places you need ATG?
If you like the R89 and dislike the R41, you may want to try the Mühle Rocca.

Reactions: Avi
You got me curious so I broke out the r41 and stuck in a new derby extra blade which was a pretty miserable experience (in the way r89 / asd2 is not) with no added closeness (as far as I can tell). Super raw / burning even minor nicks (WTG : GOODBYE ADAMS APPLE!). I'll try it with the astra tomorrow with as light of a touch as I can muster as I'm determined to beat this evil twin!

Avi

A good razor cannot save a horrible dull blade! Use good blades, sharp and smooth.

I was trying the other extreme as initially I was just using feathers w/ the r41 which I think is less of a shaving tool and more of a lethal weapon.

You got me curious so I broke out the r41 and stuck in a new derby extra blade which was a pretty miserable experience (in the way r89 / asd2 is not) with no added closeness (as far as I can tell). Super raw / burning even minor nicks (WTG : GOODBYE ADAMS APPLE!). I'll try it with the astra tomorrow with as light of a touch as I can muster as I'm determined to beat this evil twin!

Avi
I'm sorry you had a bad shave with the R41. Unfortunately, I can't think of a worse blade to use in the R41 than a Derby. I wouldn't try to offset the reputed "aggressiveness" of the R41 with a duller blade like Derby. Go sharp and rigid and use a light tough.

Avi
The only Mühle I’ve ever tries is the Rocca, which I like a lot. I’ve heard from many that it’s between the R89 and the R41 in aggression. I’ve not (yet) bought the R41 because I have an unreasonable bias against Zamak razors.

I prefer brass or stainless, but once I shaved with this - didn't matter. It was all about the shave.

I'm going to have to start talking trade with my neighbor. No way I want this leaving my house.
It is a razor I will be buying at some point. I mean, how can a wet shaver NOT try the R41?

I've got both the R41 and R96 (Muhle Rocca) and I find that they both shave about the same. Some days I think the R41 is better and some days the Rocca. I haven't made up my mind other than they are both GREAT razors! The R96 is my best looking razor.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I think the R41 might also be a bit pickier on soaps. In the past I've liked most soaps I've used, be they cheap hard pucks, expensive Artisan and in between. Today I started with Wickhams 1912 Parma Violet. I had used it the other day and the razor felt a bit more tuggy than usual. I chalked it up to the blade. Yesterday I swapped blades to one I had started in another razor.

Today on a blade with three shaves (Personna Lab blues (just got a dozen shaves from a Med Prep - so no way this is toast after three shaves). I noticed the tugginess again. The lather itself seems slick, the razor seems to slide/glide fine. Finished 1/2 my face with the Wickhams. Washed off. Mixed up a batch of LaToja. Relathered. It was a noticeable improvement in how the razor felt over the Wickhams. I can't explain it.

I will A/B Wickham and LaToja on an upcoming shave and see if I get the same impression. If I do, I'll save the Wickham for some of my other razors.

Since shaving with the R41 I've used Original Cella, Baume.be puck,Vintage Williams, Arko, Tabac and Plamira and maybe one other. Wickhams is the first one that has given that experience.

It is a razor I will be buying at some point. I mean, how can a wet shaver NOT try the R41?

A wet shaver not trying the R41 is like enjoying multiple rides on the medium-sized roller coaster at an amusement park, but refusing to try the big scary coaster. [emoji23]

Top Bottom