What's new

Muhle R41, Muhle R89 and Merkur 23C

I've been shaving with the Muhle R41 now for one month with great results. This weekend I tried my Muhle R89 and Merkur 23C. The shaves with both closed combs were great and worry free, I really enjoyed them. But my favorite is still the R41. Its like driving a manual transmission vs. an automatic. I have to be completely focused and detail oriented with the R41- its almost like a meditation. Plus, I find myself now looking forward to the blade and comb feel against my skin. Anyway, I really like my closed comb, especially the Merkur 23C and will use them when I need a "quick shave."

ps- I've also noticed less skin irritation with the R41 since it requires less passes for a BBS shave. But of course... YMMV.

Last edited:
Yeah, after going to shavettes, I find myself favoring aggressive razors, especially open combs. I love the 2011 R41 and Fatip Grande. I hope my RazoRock SLAB finds a spot in my lineup. My PAL Adjustable is pretty aggressive as well. It looks like people are starting to find out about adjustable Injectors, because their prices seem to be on the rise.

The funny thing is, I rarely have the comb against my skin with the R41. I must be used to the shavette feel.

I find that I love each and everyone of my razors. True, some do not shave as efficient as others, but I like the variety of the different length handles, mildness vs. aggressiveness, and old vs. new. Just as an aside, the addition of a FaTip Grande has made my technique much better with the milder razors. I gave myself the best shave out of a Merkur 1904 yesterday. I think it is due to shaving with the FaTip and my slant bar.

Having said all of that, I have my eye on an R41 later this year. Glad to hear that someone just started with one and loves it.

Thanks for the report.

ps- I've also noticed less skin irritation with the R41 since it requires less passes for a BBS shave. But of course... YMMV.

+1. I have been having both R89 and R41 and I fully agree. I think R89 (DE89) is among the least good designes. It has enough of blade exposure for irritating the skin, but still too inefficient to remove the stubble efficiently. Each added pass will irritate to some degree. This is the problem with moderate razors.

Top Bottom