What's new

Muhle R41 in stainless steel or, some other option?

I want to move to a safety razor that isn't plastic or pot metal. I have several EJ89 and Merkur and Muhle options to choose from and really like the Muhle I have best. At ~$150, this opens up a world of options and I also wonder about Titanium from someone like Henson. Is the R41 a top choice or, should I spend a little more for something else or possibly save a few dollars with a hidden gem? My whiskers are getting coarser as I age so, closed comb razors are becoming harder to get clean shaves with and are starting to become 3 and 4 pass shaves. I'm looking for a 1 or, at most 2, pass shave so reasonably aggressive but, not crazy.

So, what are the better Stainless or Titanium safety razor options? My target threshold for cost is ~$150 but, the $200 range is a possibility as well for something special like the Ti Henson or some similar options.

TIA,
Sid

Italian Barber's domestically produced RazoRock razors offer a wide variety nicely milled stainless steel razors that would meet your requirements. Most are in the $50 to $80 range.

My favorite is the $30 MJ90a that is medium aggressive with a milled aluminum black anodized head and stainless steel halo handle but it is closed comb. I also have the Game Changer .84 and .68 which are offered in both open and closed comb. The .84 OC might meet your requirements for under $75 in SS.

There are certainly more options - I would even say especially in your preferred price range.

It appears you already have experience with the R41 or is it a totally new razor for you?

Cheers,

Guido

The R41 is a fantastic razor, actually it is one of the razor I've used the most over the years.
Now there's @Guido75 legit question: have you ever tried it? Do you already have the regular version?

Once upon a shave, years ago, I switched the regular handle with a stainless steel Razorock one, I believe it was the "Barberpole" model. The R41 went from A to A+++ in terms of liking. As I still use the zamak head with a hefty stainless handle I don't see myself buying the $150 version. I bought mine in 2017 and the zamak head is still like new. If anything happens/break/rottens I can always buy a replacement head for as low as $25.

Now, if you are leaning towards efficient non-plastic or pot metal razor, I would stay away from the Henson and I would rather look at the stainless Razorock Lupo .95 SB or the Lupo DC. Another fine choice under $100 would be the Greencult 2.0.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
At the moment, with choosing a stainless steel razor, I'd probably opt for the Green Cult 2.0 with a Level 2 base plate for around $100. I'd also take a close look at the Blutt BR-1 1.2 but they are around $200. The next release of Lambda Athenas will be available at the end of March, beginning of April... also around $200. For an AC single edge razor, the ATT X1 Slant is under $200.

I still think the Green Cult 2.0 with the Level 2 plate is one heck of a deal... I think it's really a $200 razor at right around $100. What a great shave. For just a bit less, as has been mentioned, the Razo Rock Lupos and their Game Changers end up in the mix as well.

I might as well list my top performing razors in no particular order:

1. Green Cult 2.0 with a Level 2 base. ($100)
2. ATT X1 AC Slant (just under $200)
3. Blutt BR-1 1.20 ($200)
4. Lambda Athena ($200)
5. Rocnel Elite ($200)
6 Wolfman WR2 .95 with a matching Darwin handle and stand.... very expensive. I don't own this razor yet but I am on the waiting list.

These lists always vary, person to person... I'm almost 70 and have a pretty dense beard. All the above razors give me a 12 hour shave. I do use the ESC Claymore Evolution around my nose for every shave. It's also an AC single edge razor like the ATT X1 Slant... but it's a bit more mild. I get a 10 hour shave with it by itself. It was the first razor I bought when I got into traditional wet shaving so I'm quite fond of it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
BTW, The razors I choose didn't arrive to me magically. There are so many people here who reviewed the above razors and I've chatted with them frequently about why they chose them, why they worked for them individually. A couple people should be mentioned in this group because they, in particular, reviewed and rated the above razors: @Mr. Shavington , @Chan Eil Whiskers , @Old Hippie , @LRod , @never-stop-learning . There are so many others who participate on B&B and whose wisdom has helped me grow, keep working on my technique, etc... people like @Cal and @Arbor Man ,@Guido75 ... so many others. This is a great group of men and women here. It's a wonderful community . @luvmysuper , one of our fine moderators, has helped me numerous times with issues I've had. I'm sure I'm leaving people out and for that, I apologize... you know if you've assisted me over these last 11 months and I thank you. The journey continues......

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I want to move to a safety razor that isn't plastic or pot metal. I have several EJ89 and Merkur and Muhle options to choose from and really like the Muhle I have best. At ~$150, this opens up a world of options and I also wonder about Titanium from someone like Henson. Is the R41 a top choice or, should I spend a little more for something else or possibly save a few dollars with a hidden gem? My whiskers are getting coarser as I age so, closed comb razors are becoming harder to get clean shaves with and are starting to become 3 and 4 pass shaves. I'm looking for a 1 or, at most 2, pass shave so reasonably aggressive but, not crazy.

So, what are the better Stainless or Titanium safety razor options? My target threshold for cost is ~$150 but, the $200 range is a possibility as well for something special like the Ti Henson or some similar options.

TIA,
Sid
The Stainless Blackbird OC or SB is in your price range. The Ti Blackbird SB is my favorite DE razor.

If you want to keep it in the US$75 - US$125 range, this thread may help:
Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD) - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/comparison-of-de-razors-in-my-den-from-75-to-125-usd.600310/

The RazoRock GC84-OC is very nice, although I personally prefer the GC84-P (safety bar).

The Karve Brass SB-G is highly efficient. Lots of blade.

The Rex Envoy is efficient, and very effective. Can be used daily.

Keep the Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS) on your radar. Punches well above its price.

Lots more out there. :)

Last edited:
I am with @mata_66 on this one - the R41 is a fantastic razor. I have the stainless version on my wish list, but only as last resort. The Zamak replacement is much cheaper and Mühle Chrome is excellent.

If on the other hand you have yet to experience the R41 I would strongly suggest to get the Zamak head first and give it a test drive.

Guido

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I am with @mata_66 on this one - the R41 is a fantastic razor. I have the stainless version on my wish list, but only as last resort. The Zamak replacement is much cheaper and Mühle Chrome is excellent.

If on the other hand you have yet to experience the R41 I would strongly suggest to get the Zamak head first and give it a test drive.

Guido
If someone just loves the R41.... I know what I'd do... Most everyone knows their age... decide how long you'd guess a R41 head would last... buy a couple replacement heads now for $25 each: buy enough to last you a lifetime. That way, I wouldn't be worried they'd go out of production or the company would disappear. I just did that with the Merkur Progress... bought back-ups for myself and our youngest son who loves his. He likes the longer handle one. I prefer the shorter/normal version.

That said, we all approach shaving from different paradigms. We have varying amounts of extraneous cash. Most of us have a budget of some sort and for that reason, our decisions will also vary. There isn't one "right" way to do this. For me, it really is about having fun. I want to enjoy my shaves. What works for me won't work for everyone.

There are many great stainless razors in your price range. If it were me I would look no farther than the razors below....all will provide R41 type close shaves, but with better comfort. I have a stainless R41, but never use it. It is very rough and uncomfortable to me when I compare it to my other razors.

Blackbird
Lupo 95
Yates 921-H (or M)
Tatara Nodachi
Vector
ATT X1

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
You really can't go wrong with a DS Cosmetic Z0 v2 .. stainless steel. Costs about £35 delivered at moment (head only) .. order a nice chunky titanium handle to balance. All easily within your budget.
I should add... I often switch out some of the heavier stainless steel handles for the lighter Timeless Ti Crown handle. You can buy them from their "scratch and dent" selection under Titanium on their website. I've had very good luck that way. I can't tell them apart from the news ones I purchased at other times.

The aggressive Henson Ti is phenomenal!
The stainless steel R41 is great too, much better than it's zamak counterpart IMO, but the Henson is probably a better daily driver (not that the R41 can't be).

Another one to consider is the Karve overlander if you shave ATG.

Reactions: JPO

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

TIA,
Sid

So, what about the R41?
  • I have the inexpensive Zamac-headed R41.
  • I also have the SS R41.
  • I also have the titanium R41.
  • I'm a fan of the R41 for sure.
  • All are very good razors if you like them.
  • Not beasts!
I'd buy the cheaper one first. It's a good shaving razor. If you like it, buy the SS. The titanium might be unobtanium now.

That's assuming you want or think you want the R41.

The RR Superslant would be another option if you can find one. I have the L1++ and the L3 and much prefer the L1++ which is mild feeling and surprisingly effective. I have coarse old man whiskers and an otherwise "normal" beard in terms of most other parameters.

There are many many good options.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I concur. The R41 is a great design and doesn't deserve the bad reputation it sometimes gets. I haven't had a bad shave with it and I'm fairly new with DE shaving (only 11 months). Use good prep, short strokes, avoid pressure and the R41 is very efficient and effective.

The standard R41 does have a cast metal head, but it is possible to purchase replacement heads. You could buy several replacement heads as backups or splurge for the stainless steel version.

IMO everybody should have an R41 in their den!

This would also be my recommendation. There's nothing wrong at all with the Zamak head, as far as a shave goes.

I concur. The R41 is a great design and doesn't deserve the bad reputation it sometimes gets.

That's right!

Since the OP has experience with the EJ89 (which I also have), for $25, you buy the R41 head. That's exactly what I did last summer.

I use mine with the different handles I have. I don't have any particular technique and this head is easy to shave with. The hardest part was getting past the psychological part, due to it's reputation. It is not a difficult razor to shave with either.

It's not difficult to move from the DE89 to the R41. $25 for the head is a terrific way to find out if you like the R41 and if it works for you.

The R41 is quite a big unit, and getting the balance right is a must.
I have a 52g 90mm titanium handle on the DS Cosmetic Z0v2 and it's perfect .. however the zamak R41 was better with a similar weight but shorter handle.

They do the DS Cosmetic Z0v2 in a 21g titanium head for about £75 .. tempted!

You can’t go wrong with the Merkur 34c HD or the Muhle R89. They’re benchmarks, and for good reason.

The R41 is what I use, but I would be fine with any of these.

Top Bottom