What's new

Muhle R41 in stainless steel or, some other option?

Having recently purchased a genuine R41 replacement head, not sure why so many shavers find the R41 'so aggressive', it's honestly less likely to bite or create weepers/nicks than a Rex Ambassador, Timeless, Gillette Slim/Fat-Boy, or many other less efficient razors. After shaving with the Chinese R41 Clone, the real thing was a most welcome and refreshing experience, being so much smoother and easier feeling on the face. (The Clone feels MUCH more aggressive, although in practice the genuine R41 shaves every bit as close or closer, without anywhere near the blade feel, and inspires confidence).

So is there a stainless model that feels & shaves like a genuine R41?

I'm relatively new at using DE razors (only about a year), but in my limited experience nothing shaves quite like the R41.

I am fortunate to have a stainless steel R41 and it is an excellent razor for me. I had the cast metal one also but sold it as I decided I didn't need both. Both are great in my opinion. The cast metal head is, of course, not as durable, but you could buy a handful of R41 heads for the price of the stainless steel razor.

Whatever choice you make, enjoy the R41!

not sure why so many shavers find the R41 'so aggressive',
The most current version of the R41 head is the least aggressive. The stories are based on the older versions (2011, 2013 - there about).
After shaving with the Chinese R41 Clone
Check in the aggressiveness of the clone! I got one from my local shave shop and it tore my face apart. Worst shave ever and immediately purchased the real deal the same day (with full shopper of the LOTH in this exceptional instance!).

Cheers,

Guido

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
In my experience the current Zamak and Stainless R41 don't feel nice during the shave (the way to make them feel nice during the shave is to use the sharpest blade you can) but post shave they irritate you less than many mild razors, especially if you decide to chase the baby with the mild razor.

For me the Rocca is mostly the R41 with a bit more blade feel than the R89. It might be the best of both worlds. Somtimes though I want even less blade feel or a closer shave enter the R89 or R41.

For me the Rocca is mostly the R41 with a bit more blade feel than the R89. It might be the best of both worlds. Somtimes though I want even less blade feel or a closer shave enter the R89 or R41.
I'm a bit new to both the R41 non-SS and Rocca so, FWIW, the Rocca for me is a bit milder than the R41 but is still reasonably aggressive to be practical for me to do daily shaves. I really need to swap blades and do another back-to-back test.

The Lambda Athena looks interesting. How do those 4 compare to each other? Feel free to take this to a new thread if it seems to be derailing this one!
All these razors provide very similar end results, but get there a bit differently. The Athena is the newest and I'm still in the process of getting used to it, but it has already become a favorite. I shave daily, so all my razors have to be able to be used every day without irritation....all these fit the bill for me (as well as the Rocca).

The Blackbird, Yates H, and Vector are all so similar it's hard to tell them apart (outside of their obvious differences). The Blackbird has the most blade feel, but none are too blade forward to be uncomfortable. These 3 razors provide almost identical shave results for my face. The Athena is different in that it is blade neutral and super smooth, yet very efficient (but not quite as efficient as the other 3). All are great shavers, but provide different experiences while shaving.

I bought R41 at the end, was considering Picollo, but end up with Mühle
The Fatip Piccolo and Muhle R41 really have very little in common for me.

The Piccolo is relatively mild and one I used daily for a long time. My Muhle R41 is significantly more aggressive and more apt to 'bite' me if I let my attention wander or I hurry.

The Fatip Piccolo was a whole lot cheaper to purchase too! That little razor is a hidden gem in my book!

Top Bottom