What's new

Muhle R41 - First Shave

I tend to prefer efficient razors. With that said, I have been using double edge razors for most of my 50+ years of shaving but have never tried the Muhle R41. Recently, however, I traded a Fatip FOCS for an R41. The FOCS is a notably efficient razor, but it was the latest failure for me with a Fatip razor. They feel great, they efficiently provide a close shave, but they inevitably irritate a particularly sensitive are on my neck. So - out with the FOCS and in with the R41.

I lathered up some Cold River Soap Works Jardin d'Orange soap and started in with the R41. Given its reputation, I was particularly careful with the razor. The first pass exhibited a good amount of blade feel but no more than my Blackland Dart (currently my most used razor). I did notice some tugging when shaving my upper lip, but it was only slightly uncomfortable. The rest of the first pass with the grain was reasonably smooth and comfortable. The second pass, this time against the grain, had no pulling and was very smooth and comfortable. I felt around for areas to touch-up but couldn't find much that needed it. The alum block did not uncover any sensitive areas, and sitting here an hour or so after the shave, my face feels wonderfully smooth.

I recently purchased a Muhle R41 head and pair it with a Weber Bulldog handle. I have about five or so shaves with it. While I would not use it as a daily driver, it sure eliminates several days of stubble effortlessly. You do need to be careful though, as there is a lot of blade feel.

Too bad on the Fatip. I have the Piccolo, and find it to be a very enjoyable razor.

Funny, how the Muhle looks benign but has a lot of blade feel, while the Fatip looks more aggressive, but feels smoother.

I didn't get along with the FOCS either. I have both the standard R41 and the new stainless R41GS and prefer the stainless version. Both will knock down a few days growth with ease, but I find the GS smoother and less tuggy for whatever reason. Can't use either daily, but if I go a day or two between shaves, the GS is my go to. Leaves my face sliky smooth.

I've had the R41 as well. And I can say the result was always very good, without hardly any sting by the alumn. But the journey was never very comfortable, lots of pulling and tugging, no matter what blade I used. I finally gave up on it, concluding it is not a razor for me. Same goes for the Fatip (Picollo or Grande).
I found my holy grail (for efficient OC razors) in the RR Sloc, same result WITH a pleasant journey!

I really like the R41 but its not an every day razor for me. As an every day shaver its too efficient- i like a 3 pass shave every day and the R41 is a bit much for that on the regular. Still a must-have razor in the den because if by chance i ever need to mow down a heavy wirey beard i know its the best DE for the task.

I didn't get along with the FOCS either. I have both the standard R41 and the new stainless R41GS and prefer the stainless version. Both will knock down a few days growth with ease, but I find the GS smoother and less tuggy for whatever reason. Can't use either daily, but if I go a day or two between shaves, the GS is my go to. Leaves my face sliky smooth.
If you compare the GS head to the original you can see the blade is clamped closer to the blade edge. This gives a more rigid and smoother blade feel. The tolerances are also thighter. There is a reason they did not polish the clamping interface between the cap and the base plate.
Blade chatter is not an issue with the gs model, in my opinion.
Greate razor.

If you compare the GS head to the original you can see the blade is clamped closer to the blade edge. This gives a more rigid and smoother blade feel. The tolerances are also thighter. There is a reason they did not polish the clamping interface between the cap and the base plate.
Blade chatter is not an issue with the gs model, in my opinion.
Greate razor.

Yes, I did notice the better clamping on the GS....I like that better. I was thinking that may be the difference I'm feeling during my shave. The GS is definitely my preference.

The second shave was even better than the first! Still lots of blade feel, but not uncomfortably so. It is more efficient than my Rocca, but the Rocca is smoother. Vis a vis the Blackland Dart, I'd say the R41 slightly rougher, but they both have a great deal of blade feel. It's very close, but the R41 may be more efficient and leave my face slightly smoother than the Dart. It will take some more shaves to know for sure.

I am particularly pleased to note that nothing so far has justified the R41's reputation as a lethal bloodletting device. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritations. That said, I am being careful. I suspect that if I lost focus on the task at hand, the consequences could be unpleasant, but anything this side of an electric razor presents that risk. Maybe the risk is slightly higher with more aggressive/efficient razors like the R41, Dart and Rocca - but so far, so good.

I've a DS-Z0 (a R41 wannabe) and my first experiences within were beyond uncomfortable, just regular in efficiency. I put it aside for a while and thought about pass it over..

It was with the reports of love and hate to the R41 here in B&B that I decided one day to give the DS-Z0 a second chance...

And it was amazing! The secret (IMHO) was not finding the correct angle, but knowing that once it found, it must be fully respected in all places on your face! So mustache, chin/jaw will require more attention than most other DE razor models... So keep a firm hand and don't limp-wrist guys!

[...] I am particularly pleased to note that nothing so far has justified the R41's reputation as a lethal bloodletting device. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritations. That said, I am being careful. [...]

This is my experience as well and it makes me self-conscious. So the razor famous for being difficult to wield just happens, coincidentally, to sing to little old me? Really? It can't be true, but there it is, the quality of the shave and lack of irritation speak.

Just shaved with my R41 GS after 3 days of not shaving (very a typical for me to miss that many days). This razor is great for several days growth...just plows right through with no regard for the stubble in its way. Very nice shave....super close and comfortable. If I were a regular every 3 day shaver, this razor would be tops in my den. It's a little too much for me to shave daily, but if I skip a day or two, it rocks.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've used the zamac R41 daily for at least two weeks. No problems. It is not a beast!

I've not put my SS R41 into my rotation yet, but I will before too long.

I like all sorts of razors including plenty considered mild and others considered aggressive. Both are meaningless terms in my opinion.

If it works for you it works for you.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I've a DS-Z0 (a R41 wannabe) and my first experiences within were beyond uncomfortable, just regular in efficiency. I put it aside for a while and thought about pass it over..

It was with the reports of love and hate to the R41 here in B&B that I decided one day to give the DS-Z0 a second chance...

And it was amazing! The secret (IMHO) was not finding the correct angle, but knowing that once it found, it must be fully respected in all places on your face! So mustache, chin/jaw will require more attention than most other DE razor models... So keep a firm hand and don't limp-wrist guys!
I totally agree with your report of the DS-ZO. If you get the right technique, it gives a closer shave that the R41! I now use it everyday and have put my R41 in storage.

Top Bottom