What's new

Muhle R41 - first shave - meh.

Hi everyone. I recently purchased a Muhle R41, and used it yesterday for the first time, and I have to say, I was a little underwhelmed. 3 day growth, new Astra Superior Platinum blade, Cella cream, Razorock brush. My routine is a little unusual, in that I do 4 passes (3 WTG and 1 XTG). The end result was not bad, but not really any different than I get with my Merkur 34c, 37c, or Edwin Jagger DE89. Mainly based on reviews and other user experiences, I was expecting to be done in 2 passes, and I was expecting it to slice through the stubble like nothing I'd experienced before. The first pass was a little tuggy, and the other passes I could feel the R41 biting the skin more than my other razors. As I said, the end result was fine - close shave, no more or less burn and irritation than normal, but based on my first experience, the R41 seems a little overhyped.

Just my 2 cents.

I have been using the R41 for some time now.
2 passes work great for me... smooth as a baby butt.
I sometimes try the 3rd pass, but then I cannot shave the day after. Bit too much.
This razor is super efficient - Your experience is a bit strange.

Brice, yes, i certainly intend on using the R41 several more times before I come to a firm conclusion. I was rather surprised myself at the experience.

Just wondering what blades you use and how often do you shave ?

Thanks

I do shave daily (Taking a break on Saturday - Leaving 2 days between my Friday and Sunday shave.
This is usually the day I use my Muhle R41. I tried different kinds of blades - from Derby to Feather. I also normally always use NEW blade for the R41. But this razor always leaves me with a sensitive skin throughout the day.

If I've learned anything by lurking here for a while before joining, it's that Your Mileage May Vary.
I, for example, have elastic skin so I have to shave quite differently from everyone else and can never get a true BBS since my skin will fold the short stubble a bit into itself on the last pass and if I keep adding more passes I end up with bumps and weepers.

That said, from someone who is quite new to wet shaving but have learned a lot in a short time, I'd say try different blades, different angles, different set of passes, skin stretching etc. If nothing works the razor isn't for you.

I have tried several different OC razors including R41 and found that you need to use an accurate angle so that handle is as far from your face as possible and which is very difficult to maintain from the jaw line and down. R41 should be avoided by people with sensitive skin, it's one of the most aggressive razors available. Parker 26C when used with Derby Extra blade was the only one which was OK for me but as I said you have to maintain precise angle. There are plenty of razors, vintage and modern, where it is not necessary for a great irritation free shave

Like others have noted, I suspect you don’t have the angle quite right. It’s a pretty efficient razor when you dial it in.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
based on my first experience, the R41 seems a little overhyped.

You should try mine! lol

IMG_2786.JPG IMG_2792.jpg IMG_2796.jpg IMG_2798.jpg

That'll get you on your toes and keep you there. Despite its obvious flaws, it gives a very good shave with a fresh Feather.

With your user name, you need a Piccolo!

The 41 gives me a very close shave when I get it right. I have to go slow and stay focused. I truly believe if they made the 41 out of brass or stainless to precise standards it could be a great razor. As it is, the build quality of the head varies. The thin bar could benefit from a brace in the center imho. I'm not saying it is a bad razor I just think it could be so much more.

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

I've spent the last hour or so reading various things on the internet, and as some on here have mentioned, the angle at which you shave is critical. The thing is, there are those who say the R41 needs to be at a shallow angle (i.e handle away from face) and others swear you have to shave at a steep angle (handle close to face). I might have to try one side of my face steep and the other shallow, and see how I go.

Thanks.

Well first of all what is the meaning of making 3 WTG passes?
The R41 is not overhyped. Just try changing the angle.

Well first of all what is the meaning of making 3 WTG passes?
The R41 is not overhyped. Just try changing the angle.

I shave only on Wednesdays and Saturdays - especially by Wednesday, with 4 days of stubble, I find that the first pass doesn't remove enough stubble to do a 2nd pass XTG. This is exacerbated by having sensitive skin. Also mantic59 recommends 2 WTG passes if your stubble is too long. I could probably get away with 2 WTG + 1 XTG, but over time it became 3 WTG + 1XTG, so I just left it at that. It certainly helps to keep burn, irritation etc to a minimum.

I've never bothered to check the angle with my R41. Shaves perfectly in 2 passes. First pass takes off most of the stubble and for the 2nd pass I divide the face into 4 quarters and do cleanups, shaving in multiple directions and checking with the palm of my hand until it's all smooth. Astra SP works, GSB a little better and Nacet the sharpest. I use a larger 89x16mm and heavier handle (60g) and a Yintal Bronze top cap which is a little narrower. This combination has seen off a couple of Timeless razors, Bronze and OC.95. I alternate with a Karve OC E plate with a Nacet. Both absolutely as good as I need.

e to say, I was a little underwhelmed. 3 day growth, new Astra Superior Platinum blade, Cella cream, Razorock brush. My routine is a little unusual, in that I do 4 passes (3 WTG and 1 XTG). The end result was not bad, but not really any different than I get with my Merkur 34c, 37c, or Edwin Jagger DE89.
I don't see the point of 3x WTG passes; you would be better of with WTG, XTG and XTG reversed passes no matter which razor you use.
Also I wouldn't use an OC razors with less 48 hours growth, 3 or more days are better
I don't see why; I have been using the Fatip Piccolo on a daily shave and it gets good results.
the angle at which you shave is critical. The thing is, there are those who say the R41 needs to be at a shallow angle (i.e handle away from face) and others swear you have to shave at a steep angle (handle close to face). I might have to try one side of my face steep and the other shallow, and see how I go.
You have the angles the wrong way round. Shallow and steep relate to blade angle because that is what does the cutting. The 30 deg angle started from the straight razor angle but that is just general guidance and individuals use different angles. This may help you with blade angles: Blade Angle | Badger & Blade
Most use the R41 at a steep blade angle but if you find it ineffective, try a shallower blade angle. The neutral blade angle gives a lot of blade exposure so be careful and use a very light touch at that angle. As always, let the blade do the work and don't force it.

Top Bottom