What's new

Muhle R41 - first shave - meh.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Sorry if it's obvious, but what am I looking at on these pictures? I'm on a phone so pics are small. Does that have a smile, as they say?

This first picture is obvious. Lots of gap for the blade to vibrate in.
IMG_2786.JPG

Less obvious is the effect of that from this picture. The blade is not only unsupported, but the blade exposure is increased because the comb isnt straight.
IMG_2796.jpg

Its bowed outwards at the center 4 teeth.
IMG_2792.jpg

While also not being flat across the top. The razor will rock on that straight edge where the blade is meant to sit on it for the width of the blade.
IMG_2798.jpg

The R41 is capable of a very good shave but technique is critical. I believe mine shows casting issues. Thats common with any cast part, molds wear.

Theres really not that much difference between the R41 and a Fatip OC head in regards to blade geometry. The most critical difference is how much more the Fatip base supports the blade, virtually eliminating the chance of blade flex.

Blade angle is similar, although slightly steeper in the R41. Blade exposure is virtually identical between them both.

R41-FATIP2.jpg

Both can also be used at very steep or very shallow angles. Because the Fatip has so much more base plate support, in my experience using both, the Fatip is a smoother far more secure feeling shave.

In terms of efficiency I find them both equal in closeness first pass WTG. The difference for me, again because the Fatip offers so much blade support, I can easily and routinely shave first pass directly ATG at 48+ hours growth.

Using the R41 I cant shave ATG until my third pass and even then its a very slow and cautious shave.

Using the same blade, Feather, I get a 12 hour BBS from both.

Oh I see better now, I'll get on a larger screen and ck it out too. Yeah that's a poor quality. Thanks for that

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
This first picture is obvious. Lots of gap for the blade to vibrate in.
View attachment 1025668

Less obvious is the effect of that from this picture. The blade is not only unsupported, but the blade exposure is increased because the comb isnt straight.
View attachment 1025670

Its bowed outwards at the center 4 teeth.
View attachment 1025669

While also not being flat across the top. The razor will rock on that straight edge where the blade is meant to sit on it for the width of the blade.
View attachment 1025671

The R41 is capable of a very good shave but technique is critical. I believe mine shows casting issues. Thats common with any cast part, molds wear.

Theres really not that much difference between the R41 and a Fatip OC head in regards to blade geometry. The most critical difference is how much more the Fatip base supports the blade, virtually eliminating the chance of blade flex.

Blade angle is similar, although slightly steeper in the R41. Blade exposure is virtually identical between them both.

View attachment 1025674

Both can also be used at very steep or very shallow angles. Because the Fatip has so much more base plate support, in my experience using both, the Fatip is a smoother far more secure feeling shave.

In terms of efficiency I find them both equal in closeness first pass WTG. The difference for me, again because the Fatip offers so much blade support, I can easily and routinely shave first pass directly ATG at 48+ hours growth.

Using the R41 I cant shave ATG until my third pass and even then its a very slow and cautious shave.

Using the same blade, Feather, I get a 12 hour BBS from both.

Agree with @Esox .

I have the R41 and both FaTip Piccolo and Grande OCs. I prefer the FaTip OCs. Better and more comfortable shave with fewer mishaps and less irritation.

YMMV

I have both versions of the Fatip (the older, more aggressive and the newer) and the R41. Although I think the Fatip is a fine razor, after a lot of experience with all of these, I prefer R41 considerably. It’s really hard to know what you’ll prefer without trying them.

I used my R41 today for the first time in weeks, if not months. I have the 2013 modern version, but I always use one of my two 2011 versions, including this morning.

Boy howdy, the 2011 R41 is an awesome razor. I knew that before today, but it’s great to be reminded. I don’t own a razor that gives me a closer, longer-lasting shave, though the Ikon Shavecraft Tech, Charcoal Goods Level 3 open comb, Timeless bronze .78 open comb, and perhaps a couple others can match it.

I’m only going to let days, not weeks or months, go by between R41 2011 shaves...

I have to ask then OP (apologies if this has already been asked and answered) why do you do 3 WTG passes? I don't care how aggressive the razor may be, after the 2nd (and maybe even the first) pass WTG, you won't get any closer. I'm not a monster fan of the R41 but I have always found it to give a really really close shave. My only complaint tends to be that I don't find it to be all that comfortable. So, why 3 WTG passes?

I have to ask then OP (apologies if this has already been asked and answered) why do you do 3 WTG passes? I don't care how aggressive the razor may be, after the 2nd (and maybe even the first) pass WTG, you won't get any closer. I'm not a monster fan of the R41 but I have always found it to give a really really close shave. My only complaint tends to be that I don't find it to be all that comfortable. So, why 3 WTG passes?

I’m not the OP, but my experience is that I can’t get a close shave without two passes and a lot of buffing. My first pass is south to north, which is a combo of ATG and XTG. My second pass is from each ear to nose (east to west, and west to east), also a combo of ATG and XTG. No WTG. I also buff every square millimeter of my face at least ten times. This works for me, but we’re all different.

I’m often an outlier, and my old hide is likely more tolerant than most. I’m not OCD, but I expect very, very close shaves every day. My job doesn’t require me to be clean-shaven, so why do I do it? Because I like the challenge of achieving a close shave every day. I’m feeling perky tonight because it’s been eight hours since I shaved with my 2011 R41, and my face is still mighty close to a BBS...

I’m not the OP, but my experience is that I can’t get a close shave without two passes and a lot of buffing. My first pass is south to north, which is a combo of ATG and XTG. My second pass is from each ear to nose (east to west, and west to east), also a combo of ATG and XTG. No WTG. I also buff every square millimeter of my face at least ten times. This works for me, but we’re all different.

I’m often an outlier, and my old hide is likely more tolerant than most. I’m not OCD, but I expect very, very close shaves every day. My job doesn’t require me to be clean-shaven, so why do I do it? Because I like the challenge of achieving a close shave every day. I’m feeling perky tonight because it’s been eight hours since I shaved with my 2011 R41, and my face is still mighty close to a BBS...

You see? You do ATG and XTG. No need for WTG. I will do my first pass WTG. Then like you, my second pass is ear to nose which is mostly XTG. My third pass is south to north which is generally speaking a combo of ATG and XTG. My final touch up is a mix of different directions meant to truly go ATG on areas of my face where the hair is growing in all sorts of weird directions. With that mix I can get a nice BBS shave that lasts a good day and a half. So, I'm still wondering why 3 WTG passes?

You see? You do ATG and XTG. No need for WTG. I will do my first pass WTG. Then like you, my second pass is ear to nose which is mostly XTG. My third pass is south to north which is generally speaking a combo of ATG and XTG. My final touch up is a mix of different directions meant to truly go ATG on areas of my face where the hair is growing in all sorts of weird directions. With that mix I can get a nice BBS shave that lasts a good day and a half. So, I'm still wondering why 3 WTG passes?

Agreed. I don’t even understand why doing a WTG pass at all... Perhaps if I’ve not shaved in more than 48 hours, which never happens.

Brice, yes, i certainly intend on using the R41 several more times before I come to a firm conclusion. I was rather surprised myself at the experience.

Just wondering what blades you use and how often do you shave ?

Thanks
Ditch the Astra blades and also, if anything is over hyped it's them dam
Low rent blades. Also the problem is
You not the razor, unless they made
Just one inefficient R41 to sell to you
In my experience the R41 2013 model
Is the most efficient razor ever made
The 2011 model was more dangerous
But not more efficient. And that's my .02.

MntnMan62, pbrmhl, weekly :

Thanks for all your replies.

I'm in my 50's, and I have full grey hair. I'm not a barber, and I don't go around feeling other guys' stubble, and nor do i intend to. My own impression (without a comparison to other men) is that my stubble is very stubborn and hard to cut. I also have very sensitive skin, so I try and keep the passes as irritation free as possible. So that's where the 3 WTG passes come from. Is it necessary ? Maybe, maybe not. Is it crazy ? Maybe, maybe not. All i can say is that it works for me. I also shave only 2 times per week (Wednesday and Saturday), and I sometimes also use an electric razor to get the stubble down to an acceptable level. I'll try most things to get an irritation free shave.

Weekly, I like Astra SP blades, and almost always get very good shaves with them.

Thanks gents.

Top Bottom