What's new

Muhle R41 - First Impressions

I find the R41 not particularly adept going ATG on coarse stubble. It gets tuggy. For that reason it mostly sits unused. My mild Stahly frankly does a better job.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I love the Stahly head. The motor froze up so I retrofitted it with a thin Merkur handle. Very comfortable shave!
Sure is Steve. I use an ATT Atlas handle mostly.
proxy.php

Congrats brother, the R41(2013) is my daily driver it’s a phenomenal razor. I’ve wanted to try the 2011 edition for the longest lol. They were apparently really mild then super aggressive then slightly less so in the current model. But either way I’m glad it works for you
The R41 2011 is more aggressive. 2013 has a wider cap, thus revealing less blade. Glad you are enjoying it.

The R41 2011 is more aggressive. 2013 has a wider cap, thus revealing less blade. Glad you are enjoying it.

You can swap the 2013 top cap for a narrow one, which is what I do. I use a Yintal Bronze, which is my go-to top cap. Works great on Fatip OC bottom plates as well, so you can use a M5 handle.

I've got both the 2011 and 2013 versions of the R41. Both the base plate and the top cap of the 2011 are narrower than the 2013, resulting in noticeably greater blade feel with the 2011 version.

Yes, sir!!

I'm prone to brevity, which makes me think my post may not have conveyed my message. You're exactly right, Frankie, that the 2011 top cap is narrower than the 2013 version. My only point was that not only is the top cap narrower, the base plate is also. A double whammy, if you will.

For me the R41 is probably the best razor on the market. I have used many different razors over the years, adjustable, vintage and all the top brands, however, I have settled on the R41. If you take a bit of care when shaving you will find that no matter how thick or coarse your beard is 2 passes with the R41 is more than enough to give you a great shave. Also, if you have sensitive skin my suggestion is to pair the R41 with persona lab blue blades, these blades are sharp and smooth...happy shaving :001_smile

:sigh: which is not then an R41 anymore.

I take the view that the baseplate is the defining part of the razor. The top cap has some importance in the geometry, and the handle affects weight and balance, but nevertheless the baseplate defines the razor. Which is why Karve, Rockwell, GC etc offer different baseplates. And in any case it is such a widespread habit to use different handles according to taste that I really don't see the issue here. In addition, there are even a variety of handles offered for sale with the R41 head itself.

Last edited:
I take the view that the baseplate is the defining part of the razor. The top cap has some importance in the geometry, and the handle affects weight and balance, but nevertheless the baseplate defines the razor. Which is why Karve, Rockwell, GC etc offer different baseplates. And in any case it is such a widespread habit to use different handles according to taste that I really don't see the issue here. In addition, there are even a variety of handles offered for sale with the R41 head itself.
I take issue with the cap, not with swapping, which I do all the time, but your insistence that it's not as significant as I think it is. That's why we do it. If by changing the cap you change angle, exposure, gap, or rigidity in any way, you are shaving with a different razor, period. If the swapped cap is not precisely identical in every dimension, the odds of not changing one or more of these is remote.

Last edited:
I'm prone to brevity, which makes me think my post may not have conveyed my message. You're exactly right, Frankie, that the 2011 top cap is narrower than the 2013 version. My only point was that not only is the top cap narrower, the base plate is also. A double whammy, if you will.
I agree.

Top Bottom