What's new

Muhle R41 - First Impressions

I fit my R41 baseplates with Yintal Bronze top caps and wider handles. Shown here a Jurgen Hempel titanium 49g and a Wolfman Guerrilla 63g. Very happy with both.

R41+Ti+Wolfman.jpg
R41+Ti+Wolfman1.jpg

When I first started this hobby and felt like I mastered my EJ89, I jumped right into the R41 as my second razor. Big mistake! My skills were obviously not ready for this beast yet.

Fast forward 5 years, I'm trying the R41 again and am loving it! The apply no pressure and watch your angle rules are key. The head matches up perfectly with a Weber Bulldog handle.

When I first started this hobby and felt like I mastered my EJ89, I jumped right into the R41 as my second razor. Big mistake! My skills were obviously not ready for this beast yet.

Fast forward 5 years, I'm trying the R41 again and am loving it! The apply no pressure and watch your angle rules are key. The head matches up perfectly with a Weber Bulldog handle.
Do you use it on daily basis?

The R41 is very efficient. It will cut hair easily and the first pass should get most of the stubble. After that it's either another full pass (ATG, XTG), or 4 quarter passes on each cheek and either side of the neck with re-lathering, or general cleanups wherever needed. With care and attention you can remove all the stubble and get a BBS shave. This requires face mapping and going ATG where required. Once you're familiar with how your hair grows you can start cutting down the time this takes.

I have been impressed with Gillette Silver Blues for awhile now and it provided a very smooth, comfortable shave in the R41 for me, I am ready for the second run tomorrow. I love the Maggard handle that I chose also, very heavy and seem to be the right fit for it for me.
Yeah i use PolSilver, GSB, and feathers in my 41 I’m thinking about buying the R89 head from Maggards instead of buying a whole new razor. I get no irritation with my R41 I tell ppl you gotta respect it but if your not careful it will bite your but LOL

Thank you, I am thinking it will definitely be in my regular rotation. I just bought a RazoRock SLOC last week to, so shaved once with that and loved it to, so think I am gonna be working with these two quite a bit now.
Your talking about the German 37 slant from razorock? I was keeping that razor in the back of mind and deff thinking about getting it soon. What razors you like it in most? - Thanks, Mike

I would
Lol well there was this crazy guy I was friends with on here a long time ago who used to shim his R41 blades (trim the edges off and stack 3 blades on top of each other) it essentially becomes a blade on a stick
never “Shim” my R41 that guy is crazy for trying that!!!! Lol props to him though

Your talking about the German 37 slant from razorock? I was keeping that razor in the back of mind and deff thinking about getting it soon. What razors you like it in most? - Thanks, Mike
My go to blade is the Gillette Silver Blue, I have had the best luck with that blade more than any other, and it performs in any razor for me.

i bought the R41 around a week or so ago.. and i absolutely love it, have it paired with polsilver SI blades and this is the most smoothest, comfortable, irritation free razor i have.. zero burn or nicks/weepers since shaving with it

I paired mine with the Rockwell 6C handle and love the weight/balance.. the trick is zero pressure and right angle

will try the stock handle soon with polsilvers, and once the handle has been determined will experiment with other blades. Still comparing this with my timeless 0.95 SS but at the moment i think i am enjoying the R41 more

My go to blade is the Gillette Silver Blue, I have had the best luck with that blade more than any other, and it performs in any razor for me.

I find that the GSB is about half way between the very sharpest blade and those that are very mild. It is sharp enough to work in mild razors and it is smooth enough to work in aggressive razors. With my tough beard, I prefer them in more aggressive/efficient razors, but they are nice blades. They are more expensive than some blades, but they are reasonably priced when purchased in bulk.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Thank you, I am thinking it will definitely be in my regular rotation. I just bought a RazoRock SLOC last week to, so shaved once with that and loved it to, so think I am gonna be working with these two quite a bit now.
@bmw45mo , Please tell me how your new SLOC compares with the R41. I just got a Razorock SLOC 2 weeks ago, and a GC .68 yesterday.
prof

@bmw45mo , Please tell me how your new SLOC compares with the R41. I just got a Razorock SLOC 2 weeks ago, and a GC .68 yesterday.
prof
Hey there,

Well, as far as my personal experience with the SLOC and R41, they are both great and efficient, but not the same type of shave at all. The SLOC is probably my favorite razor personally, as I am able to get a smooth, efficient shave with it every time, while leaving a little room for semi-carelessness, etc. The R41 is extremely efficient, and I love it as well, but I have to take a whole lot more time with that one, just so I am assured I am knot going to cut myself or draw some blood.

I am a head shave also, so my shaves take a little while, which makes it that more attractive for me to have a razor that I can brush through my shave in a fairly decent time. Again, I am not knocking the R41 at all, as it is an awesome and great razor and option, it's just that it's hard for anything to top the SLOC for me. Hope this helps.

By the way, I have not tried the game changer, but that is a beautiful razor and may be on my 'to buy' list. Let me know what your thoughts are on it.

Hey there,

Well, as far as my personal experience with the SLOC and R41, they are both great and efficient, but not the same type of shave at all. The SLOC is probably my favorite razor personally, as I am able to get a smooth, efficient shave with it every time, while leaving a little room for semi-carelessness, etc. The R41 is extremely efficient, and I love it as well, but I have to take a whole lot more time with that one, just so I am assured I am knot going to cut myself or draw some blood.

I am a head shave also, so my shaves take a little while, which makes it that more attractive for me to have a razor that I can brush through my shave in a fairly decent time. Again, I am not knocking the R41 at all, as it is an awesome and great razor and option, it's just that it's hard for anything to top the SLOC for me. Hope this helps.

By the way, I have not tried the game changer, but that is a beautiful razor and may be on my 'to buy' list. Let me know what your thoughts are on it.

The SLOC is a type of double-open comb razor. Although the concept is interesting, I wonder whether the slotted cap makes much of a difference. I do think an open comb lubricates better than a solid bar, but I suspect the cap has only a minimal effect.

I do have a Muhle R41, however, my face is so sensitive that I have to "tame" the face feel with a smoother, less aggressive blade. Thus, I am not getting the full efficiency that the R41 might offer to those with less sensitive skin. I seem to do better with somewhat less aggressive razors and more aggressive blades. The Karve D plate solid bar with a BIC, Nacet, PermaSharp Super, or 7 O'Clock Black seem to be my most efficient combination without skin irritation. One day, I will try a Karve open comb.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Hey guys thanks for chiming in on your thoughts about the SLOC vs. the R41. I noticed the slotted SLOC cap does hold lather quite well and makes buffing a breeze. But it is so efficient, not much buffing is needed anyway, I usually only need 1 pass for a nice clean shave.

I only have 2 shaves with the GC 68, the first shave with a Nacet(7) that I used in my SLOC the day before.
My first thoughts are the GC68 is a very well crafted razor, the blade and cap have no play whatsoever.
The handle that comes with it, to quote @mawashi , "is a lead pipe". I have replaced it a 30 gram Ti handle as I experiment to get the balance right.
The shave is very smooth and efficient and will easily be a daily driver for me.
20190626_192550[1].jpg

My Razorock collection, I replaced the SLOC handle with a 44 gram Ti handle, the 70 gram lead pipes on the bottom. Lol
prof

Top Bottom