What's new

Muhle R41 - First Impressions

I had received my Muhle R41 head and Maggard handle last week, and gave it a spin for the first time yesterday. I had kept reading a bunch of forum post's about this razor and decided to pull the trigger on it, and I am very pleased with that decision.

I am a head shaver and wasn't quite sure what to expect on my initial test run of this thing, but after a longer than usual shave yesterday, taking a bit more time, this thing is outstanding!!! I didn't mind taking a bit more time with it and can now relate to some fellow wet shavers opinions that it is indeed a different beast to get used to. I found myself having to utilize a bit of a different angle with it and could feel the aggressiveness of it, but not at all in a bad way. I did a WTG and then a ATG shave on the head and man, this thing shaved closer than any of my other razors, with very minimal touch up.

If you haven't tried this one and may be a head shaver also, don't let all the "aggressive" talk about it scare you away, you will hopefully be as pleased as I am with it.

Attachments

• Muhle R41.jpg
    Muhle R41.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 62
The ones I have are the older 1st gen that came out. They went from a head that couldn't cut peach fuzz to one that could cut cargo ship anchor chain.

There have been a few revisions since they were first released.

The ones I have are the older 1st gen that came out. They went from a head that couldn't cut peach fuzz to one that could cut cargo ship anchor chain.

There have been a few revisions since they were first released.

I am assuming that you have the older and newer versions? Are you a fan of the razor in general?

I'm a huge fan of the R41, used with a Yaqi Bronze top cap and titanium handle. It helps to upgrade the handle. It's just so wonderfully efficient. I do a first pass ATG and then I just need to do some partial passes and cleanups. It's so satisfying not to have to do multiple strokes and risk increased irritation. I'm totally converted to very efficient razors and the minimum of passes. I use SharpEdge Yellows currently, and love the combination. Nacets and Astra SP also work. The blade must be as sharp as possible - not negotiable.

I'm a huge fan of the R41, used with a Yaqi Bronze top cap and titanium handle. It helps to upgrade the handle. It's just so wonderfully efficient. I do a first pass ATG and then I just need to do some partial passes and cleanups. It's so satisfying not to have to do multiple strokes and risk increased irritation. I'm totally converted to very efficient razors and the minimum of passes. I use SharpEdge Yellows currently, and love the combination. Nacets and Astra SP also work. The blade must be as sharp as possible - not negotiable.
I have been impressed with Gillette Silver Blues for awhile now and it provided a very smooth, comfortable shave in the R41 for me, I am ready for the second run tomorrow. I love the Maggard handle that I chose also, very heavy and seem to be the right fit for it for me.

I love mine, they are definitely a nice efficient razor. The only blade I was disappointed with was the Voskhod cutting three days growth, but after the first pass it was fine as well. Shaving daily, the Voskhod works just fine in it.

Congrats!! Glad the R41 worked out so well!! :a14::a14:
Thank you, I am thinking it will definitely be in my regular rotation. I just bought a RazoRock SLOC last week to, so shaved once with that and loved it to, so think I am gonna be working with these two quite a bit now.

Congrats brother, the R41(2013) is my daily driver it’s a phenomenal razor. I’ve wanted to try the 2011 edition for the longest lol. They were apparently really mild then super aggressive then slightly less so in the current model. But either way I’m glad it works for you

Congrats brother, the R41(2013) is my daily driver it’s a phenomenal razor. I’ve wanted to try the 2011 edition for the longest lol. They were apparently really mild then super aggressive then slightly less so in the current model. But either way I’m glad it works for you
Thanks man, I appreciate that, I don't think I have ever had such a smooth head shave as I have had with it.

Thanks man, I appreciate that, I don't think I have ever had such a smooth head shave as I have had with it.
Lol well there was this crazy guy I was friends with on here a long time ago who used to shim his R41 blades (trim the edges off and stack 3 blades on top of each other) it essentially becomes a blade on a stick

Used a Silver Blue for the first time in my R41 and really liked it. I must try this blade out some more. Usually use Nacet or Yellows. SB was remarkably irritation free and skin was as smooth as silk.

Used a Silver Blue for the first time in my R41 and really liked it. I must try this blade out some more. Usually use Nacet or Yellows. SB was remarkably irritation free and skin was as smooth as silk.
I love the GSB's, they have become my all around blade. I have never had a bad shave with them, and have tried others such as Astra (which isn't all that bad), Feather, Shark, and a few others.
They just seem to perform great in any razor that they are in, and I can typically get at least 3 shaves from one blade, and that is face and head.

Where go you buy your GSBs? There's a cheap source from Lithuania in the 'usual' auction site - anyone bought from there?
I have just purchased mine on Amazon, usually in the 100 piece format. I haven't checked the other wet shaving sites (Maggards, West Coast Shaving, Top of The Chain, etc.), but I am sure that they can be easily found there also.

Amazon had the R41 for $34.99 last night, and I almost bought one, but then I remembered how many razors I already have and didn't know if I'd use it over my Timeless.

UPDATE: They're still at $34.99 with free Prime delivery by Friday (tomorrow), as of 10:40 this morning.

I have one of the recent editions of the R41. It is a great razor as long as you pair it with the right DE blade for your beard coarseness, skin sensitivity and skill level. I have the R41 grande and shave using the weight of the razor only with no added pressure. I have tried it will several blades with the exception of Feather blades which I suspect will be too harsh for my sensitive face. I find that mid-sharp blades like 7 O'Clock Yellow and Green, Gillette Silver Blue, Polsilver, Voskhod, etc. work well for me, but you may prefer either sharper or less sharp blades.

I do not find the razor to be intimidating, but there will be blood if you get the least bit careless. With care, it will give a wondefully efficient shave. You might even be able to get by with two passes vs three with other razors.

Top Bottom