What's new

MUHLE R41 - FIRST IMPRESSIONS

I put off trying this razor, because I wasn't sure I wanted to deal with an uber-aggressive razor. I've had an Ikon Tech, and while it is great, it wasn't for me. I like efficiency, but I just felt like I had to be too careful with it, so the payoff wasn't there for me.

Enter the R41 on the advice of Fabien here on B&B. As mutual fans of the PAA BOCS, he suggested I give the R41 a try. I took his advice and...Wow! It is simply outstanding.

This razor is unique to me. The blade reveal/exposure is quite limited compared to most razors I've used, yet it delivers the closest shave. This combination provides the shave I look for in any razor: Close and comfortable. It does it all. I can't wait to use it again.

At no point during the shave did I feel concerned and I even started getting confident that I could buff some areas without hesitation. Something about the limited blade exposure makes this razor exceptionally comfortable while being efficient enough to deliver a BBS to my neck.

I used a Polsilver blade and TOBS Sandlewood. Looking forward to trying other set ups after enjoying this one for awhile. Wondering if I need to try the TTO? RAD never relents.

Long story short, I recommend that EVERYBODY give it a try. You can buy the head only for around $25 and I got a Weber bulldog for $10 on eBay. This has to be the best $35 razor on the planet. :)

Cheers!

Funny, another member just posted the same topic, and had virtually the opposite experience as you.....YMMV indeed.

Btw where did you find the head for $25? I’ve been wanting to pick one up and marry it with a Maggard MR3 maybe.

@les24preludes I just tried my first Fatip (& OC) recently and loved it. Don’t find it super aggressive at all. How is the R41 in comparison?

I dig the Fatip and think it is great!

Having said that, I would say that the R41, for me, delivered an even closer shave and did not sacrifice comfort. With this razor, I can skip a day and feel just fine about the second day. I think you could use this as a daily driver if you wanted to as well.

There is something about the lack of blade exposure that works for me. Also, I think the R41 requires a steep angle and, perhaps, that is the way I prefer to shave.

Anyway, I highly encourage it and the head can be purchased for $24.99 at West Coast Shaving.

Good luck...Let me know how it works for you.

Last edited:
@les24preludes I just tried my first Fatip (& OC) recently and loved it. Don’t find it super aggressive at all. How is the R41 in comparison?

Not a huge difference - the Fatip will get you there. The R41 is a very precise shaving tool - put the right blade in it and you'll get a very close shave. Liking Nacets and Astra SPs right now but others to try.

Not a huge difference - the Fatip will get you there. The R41 is a very precise shaving tool - put the right blade in it and you'll get a very close shave. Liking Nacets and Astra SPs right now but others to try.
Another mileage may vary situation , for me the R41 tugs enough ATG l on my head I never reach for it, no issues at all with the Fatips.

Another mileage may vary situation , for me the R41 tugs enough ATG l on my head I never reach for it, no issues at all with the Fatips.

That can be true - the R41 can tug unless the blade is really sharp. Fatips are more forgiving. I kind of like the challenge of the R41 - it's good when you get it right.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hm, just started shaving R41 this week; glad you're enjoying it!

I may need to try a different blade, as I find it fairly challenging.

AA

Thanks for the advice Guys. I may just stick with my Fatip’s and my Muhle Rocca. Got the new Fatip Nobile Black Tie OC the other day and I think the longer handle over my Piccolo will further improve my shaves.

Thanks for the advice Guys. I may just stick with my Fatip’s and my Muhle Rocca. Got the new Fatip Nobile Black Tie OC the other day and I think the longer handle over my Piccolo will further improve my shaves.

No, you have to try it :) $24.99 for the head and you can use the Rocca handle. Just sayin.....

I just had the same experience a day ago. Tried it for the first time with a Dorco Prime on its third use. Extremely efficient razor. For myself, I don't recommend doing more than a two pass shave with it. What I'll probably do when I am on the road I will use the R41 head for the first and maybe the second pass, but use the R89 head for probably the second and most definitely the third pass.

This would be a great razor to cut down a thick area of hair. Let's say you can't shave for a few days. The R41 will be a great idea just to get the stubble down to a managed level.

Top Bottom