What's new

Muhle R41 - Experience from a newbie on an agressive razor

Hello fellow gents,

After spending many hours reading on how getting into the wet shaving world, I decided to follow the recommendation of many here in the forum and go with a R89 Grande to start the journey.

I bought all sorts of blades to try on it, and although it was good, I was still feeling some irritation, which I believe was from having to pass the blade a bit too many times (and also from lacking experience with it, most probably).

But after seeing so many comments about the R41 and its aggressiveness, I felt I had to give it a go, even though it meant to potentially cut myself (at least that is the terror people say about this razor).

Now, 1 month later, I felt OBLIGED to write this to help other people that were in my situation: the R41 is AMAZING!

It is so much more effective on the first and second pass that hardly needs a third one. Also, I found no issues at all with manipulating it, and it does require the same caution as the R89, but with a bigger feel of the blade (using a feather by the way). I regret on not having started already with a more effective DE.

Hope this helps somebody that was in the doubt on buying a more aggressive razor and is afraid to try.

Now, any suggestion from fellow shavers on what would be an upgrade to the R41?

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to ask yourself, if you are happy with the shave you are getting with the R41, why is it necessary to upgrade?

That said, you might like the Ikon Tek head, usually on sale for around $30.

Put this head on your existing razor handle, and there you go.

itec1.jpgitec2.jpgitec3.jpg

For something very effective, but a bit easier to relax with, how about the Fatip Open Comb Slant (Lo Storto Originale), shown on the left?

lo-storto-1.jpg

Great you feel comfortable with R41.

Next step is iKon Tech.

...and the last one is to use any razor without guard.

If you get used to R41, you will be able to have BBS in one pass + touch ups.

Reactions: LGS
I too like efficiency and blade feel. Considering that, the best razor I have used is the Blackbird OC. What really surprises me is that I have drawn by far less blood using the Blackbird than any other razor I have used.

The first razor I bought was R41. This was the only razor I used for my first half year of DE shaving. Later, because so many bragged about R89 I also bought a such one, but I did not like it all and it ended up being sold almost unused. I certainly found R41 to be better than R89, and I ended up with a love/hate relationship with R41. I once sold my R41, then regretted it and bought a new one again. While I was trying up to 30 different razors, it was for 5 years the stable razor in my herd that I compared everything against. That until spring 2017 when I found a razor I truly love. And it happens to be a super mild razor, far milder than R89. I still get the same close shaves.

You might want to ask yourself, if you are happy with the shave you are getting with the R41, why is it necessary to upgrade?

That said, you might like the Ikon Tek head, usually on sale for around $30.

Put this head on your existing razor handle, and there you go.

View attachment 1172495View attachment 1172496View attachment 1172497

For something very effective, but a bit easier to relax with, how about the Fatip Open Comb Slant (Lo Storto Originale), shown on the left?

View attachment 1172498
Great recommendations! I read a lot abuot the Fatip, but some people says the quality control they have is not so good. Any views on this?
About the Ikon, any insights on the main differences vs the R41?

Great recommendations! I read a lot abuot the Fatip, but some people says the quality control they have is not so good. Any views on this?
About the Ikon, any insights on the main differences vs the R41?
There have been a few defects with the Fatip Lo Stortos, but most are good. You can just exchange if you are unlucky. Bear in mind, this is an inexpensive, solid brass razor for $30-35. It's not a $200 work of art.

The Ikon has a lot of blade feel with a large gap and positive blade exposure. If you like blade feel and efficiency, this offers perhaps a bit more than than the R41. Some people would find it a bit scary.

Actually not much an upgrade from the shave, but to maybe buy a stainless steel option for the future. The R41 has a beautiful finish, but there are so many other models out there. I guess I have been bitten on the shaving thing.... :)

Another vote for the Blackbird, I've used nothing else since I got it and it works with a wide variety of blades.
I find it shaves as close if not closer than my R41 but is much more comfortable in use. Another difference is how long the shaves last, several hours longer with the Blackbird before stubble reappears. Prior to this my two favourite razors for a bbs shave were the R41 and the Rex Ambassador on settings 3 or 4 and they're both still great razors but the Blackbird for me is king of the hill.

The R41 is an excellent razor, and if you like it so much you might want to stick with it for a while. Many consider the earlier version of the Fatip to be more aggressive (MK1 in B&B parlance), so you might want to track one down if you are interested (there were some on the German eBay last I checked). I had one of these older Fatips but didn’t like it so much, so I sold it (and kept the R41).

The R41 is an excellent razor, and if you like it so much you might want to stick with it for a while. Many consider the earlier version of the Fatip to be more aggressive (MK1 in B&B parlance), so you might want to track one down if you are interested (there were some on the German eBay last I checked). I had one of these older Fatips but didn’t like it so much, so I sold it (and kept the R41).
any comments on the Fatip Lo storto? (slantt + open comb). I read fantastic things about it, and for the price seems much better.

The Blackbird and ATTS2 are amazing ones apparently, but the price to import to EU is too high

Another vote for the Blackbird, I've used nothing else since I got it and it works with a wide variety of blades.
I find it shaves as close if not closer than my R41 but is much more comfortable in use. Another difference is how long the shaves last, several hours longer with the Blackbird before stubble reappears. Prior to this my two favourite razors for a bbs shave were the R41 and the Rex Ambassador on settings 3 or 4 and they're both still great razors but the Blackbird for me is king of the hill.
Bugger. I thought I'd killed my desire for the blackbird.

Top Bottom