What's new

Muhle R41 daily

Hello all. First time poster but I have been lurking a while.

So background, I got into wet shaving a couple of years ago and started with some art of shave cream(just smeared on) and a Merkur 33c.
Then with research, that evolved into purchasing an omega brand brush, every blade imaginable from tryablade.com and a Edwin Jagger DE89. Since then I have purchased multiple RazoRock brand heads from italianbarber, tried a feather popular and even some Parker shavettes.

To help fast forward to where I am at now, I have settled on/daily use the 20mm Rockwell synthetic brush, Soap Commander unscented soap and the Muhle R41 head on a stainless steel handle from italianbarber and Astra SP blades.

I typically shave only 1 full pass. I shave with the grain on mustache, against the grain on cheeks and chin and slightly sideways(against the grain) on neck. I am fairly baby faced and really only stash and chin hair to worry about.

I know that YMMV but I am assuming that when people say that the Muhle is too aggressive for daily use, they are doing like 2-3 passes?

I used a shavette for about a year and it got me closer and more important lasted longer, than any of the DE razor heads I tried, EXCEPT the Muhle.

Maybe since I only do one full pass(two on chin area) I am not eating my face up? I would think I have fairly sensitive skin but I whip a thick lather with the SC soap and ride the cap with the Muhle so I've never felt it was too much for my face.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like with the aggressiveness/blade gap of the head, I have a window of adjustability based on cap on skin placement of how aggressive/mild I want a pass to be. It might just be me, but the more milder heads I used, I felt *locked in* to a specific window of usability.

Last edited:
I totally agree with everything you say. I have an R41 and an R41GS. They really aren't that aggressive in my opinion. I find the Astra SP blades 1 is a good match too. If you want aggressive try an Ikon Tek. 😀🚑

Personally I couldn't get on at all with the so-called beginner razors, like the R89 or the Parker 26C. I find they leave behind a lot of stubble and clog up too quickly.

Did you have a Wunderbar Slant amongst those RazoRocks? I find it shaves just as close as the R41 and is slightly more comfortable. The tradeoff is the sheer size and weight of the head make it less nimble.

I hate these two because they remind me how many useless duplicates I bought ... 😅

A79DF5CF-533B-4DD0-817E-6E851AC3D678.jpeg

The R41 quickly became my favorite razor. It technically isn't open comb, but it functions like one, so it's a moot point. I only dislike closed comb razors because they clog. I used to ditch blades after 1 use, but I've noticed with the R41 that the blade is exposed enough and held tightly enough that I can get dozens of shaves on my blades now. The R41 is the only razor I use now.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Personally I couldn't get on at all with the so-called beginner razors, like the R89 (...)
Oh man, I could have written that. The R89 made me despair, as I needed lots of cleaning up to get to a Gillette Fusion level shave. The R41 then surpassed that level. Also taught me shaving, one has to be awake and focused when shaving with it.

Later I tried other razors, I rarely use the R41 anymore. And my technique got sloppy over time. On the other hand, most razors allow me to shave with eyes closed by now. I mostly shave by sound and tactile feedback.

This is what is irritating me with the Wunderbar all the time. It just cuts so very well that stuff is just gone, and I didn't even feel it. It makes for a bit more effort when corrections seem necessary, while the Timeless Slim produces sound when cutting, the Wunderbar doesn't do so if it is only a few stubbles.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
It might just be me, but the more milder heads I used, I felt *locked in* to a specific window of usability.
Yes, the thing is, mild razors don't punish when you leave that window, they just don't cut as well or at all anymore outside of it.
Aggressive razors give more leeway, but often at the same time also a higher chance for injury and irritation.

Some razors want a particular style and angle, more riding the cap or the bar, while some are locking in the user very much. Henson comes to mind, there the angle is very much a given with almost no room for variation. This is why I am not much a fan of the design, if one doesn't get a perfect shave, there is not much one can do to improve the result.

The R41 is easily capable of a way closer shave than most razors. This said, I believe you can find razors in a slightly lower ballpark of aggression that might give you a similar result.

Given your preferences, you should check in the mid-high and higher aggression designs.

Of course nothing speaks against using the R41 some more. But this is a razor forum where enthusiats make other enthusiasts buy even more razors, sooo... :)

I can't use any razor daily no matter what I try. But I've found that I like the R41 way better than the R89. Simply because I don't have to get the angle perfect with every stroke and a single stroke is enough to take it all down. Once I got my lather and technique to a proper level, I don't get any sting from alum or alcohol based splash whatsoever. I'm still fighting some bumps though. I also consider my neck to be sensitive and still I could use the R41 everyday.

I can't use any razor daily no matter what I try. But I've found that I like the R41 way better than the R89. Simply because I don't have to get the angle perfect with every stroke and a single stroke is enough to take it all down. Once I got my lather and technique to a proper level, I don't get any sting from alum or alcohol based splash whatsoever. I'm still fighting some bumps though. I also consider my neck to be sensitive and still I could use the R41 everyday.
You may be applying too much pressure. A close and comfortable shave is highly dependent upon correct angle and LIGHT pressure.

If I shaved every other day my R41 would see a lot of use, but I like to be clean-shaven every day and given the R41's aggressiveness it's only used once in a while.

I shaved more or less exclusively with a 2011 R41 for about a decade on a daily basis. As always YMMV, but for me, I found that an aggressive razor, light touch, and not more than two passes works well for me. I do have a tough beard and what I would describe as moderately sensitive skin.

If I need to do more than 2 passes with a razor (any razor), which usually only happens with milder razors, I get irritation.

I also appreciate that the R41 is forgiving on angle.

The R41 quickly became my favorite razor. It technically isn't open comb, but it functions like one, so it's a moot point. I only dislike closed comb razors because they clog. I used to ditch blades after 1 use, but I've noticed with the R41 that the blade is exposed enough and held tightly enough that I can get dozens of shaves on my blades now. The R41 is the only razor I use now.

Wasn't it advertised as 'sawtooth' comb originally?
That's what I remember, at least.
Seems like an appropriate name.

Made the thread then got busy and forgot about it, sorry, but I thank everyone for the replies.

Did you have a Wunderbar Slant amongst those RazoRocks?
No, actually I have never tried a slant of any kind. The Razorocks were the Open comb, and two different aggressiveness levels of the basic closed comb.

Yes, the thing is, mild razors don't punish when you leave that window, they just don't cut as well or at all anymore outside of it.
Aggressive razors give more leeway, but often at the same time also a higher chance for injury and irritation.

Some razors want a particular style and angle, more riding the cap or the bar, while some are locking in the user very much. Henson comes to mind, there the angle is very much a given with almost no room for variation. This is why I am not much a fan of the design, if one doesn't get a perfect shave, there is not much one can do to improve the result.

The R41 is easily capable of a way closer shave than most razors. This said, I believe you can find razors in a slightly lower ballpark of aggression that might give you a similar result.

Given your preferences, you should check in the mid-high and higher aggression designs.
I agree. I have a Razorock SLOC on the way to try something in the medium(according to italianbarber) aggresiveness category. I might try out the Mentor head in the future to kinda split the difference between the r41 and sloc.

Although far less than a shavette, You WILL learn to respect and master technique if you plan on using the r41 frequently. I think I like the blade feel, it lets me immediately know if something is off, I use it with no pressure and I actually very infrequently have weepers or flat out cut myself. And as far as irritation is concerned, I can get that with literally any combination of razor and blade on my neck area. However, doing one light pass that gets me close to BBS with the Muhle does a better job at limiting irritation that having to do multiple passes with a mild head to achieve same level of smoothness.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Hello all. First time poster but I have been lurking a while.

So background, I got into wet shaving a couple of years ago and started with some art of shave cream(just smeared on) and a Merkur 33c.
Then with research, that evolved into purchasing an omega brand brush, every blade imaginable from tryablade.com and a Edwin Jagger DE89. Since then I have purchased multiple RazoRock brand heads from italianbarber, tried a feather popular and even some Parker shavettes.

To help fast forward to where I am at now, I have settled on/daily use the 20mm Rockwell synthetic brush, Soap Commander unscented soap and the Muhle R41 head on a stainless steel handle from italianbarber and Astra SP blades.

I typically shave only 1 full pass. I shave with the grain on mustache, against the grain on cheeks and chin and slightly sideways(against the grain) on neck. I am fairly baby faced and really only stash and chin hair to worry about.

I know that YMMV but I am assuming that when people say that the Muhle is too aggressive for daily use, they are doing like 2-3 passes?

I used a shavette for about a year and it got me closer and more important lasted longer, than any of the DE razor heads I tried, EXCEPT the Muhle.

Maybe since I only do one full pass(two on chin area) I am not eating my face up? I would think I have fairly sensitive skin but I whip a thick lather with the SC soap and ride the cap with the Muhle so I've never felt it was too much for my face.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like with the aggressiveness/blade gap of the head, I have a window of adjustability based on cap on skin placement of how aggressive/mild I want a pass to be. It might just be me, but the more milder heads I used, I felt *locked in* to a specific window of usability.
You are right. The R41 has a GIANT window of opportunity say as opposed to a Feather AS-D2. Both have up and downsides. You probably will regret ever trying to ATG your upper lip with the Muhle, but it certainly can be a daily driver.

I don't find the R41 GS particularly aggressive. The shave is generally smooth and non threatening. But it does cut pretty deep. As such, the razor for me, is a great, efficient razor, but won't make it as a daily driver, as the depth of cut can lead to irritation after 2-3 consecutive days of shaving.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Fascinating discussion guys. So here's the deal, I bought the Feather AS-D2, its an excellent razor for the price, an absolute tank! I also love the textured grip handle, easy to hold in the hand, and the weight of the razor, does all the work carrying the blade through the cut. You don't have to use any pressure, but because its a unique design, you have to use a weird angle of 50 degrees, and ride the cap. Its cast and or injection molded out of solid stainless steel, so durability is high, no chrome plating to chip away.

Having said all that, it is an extremely mild razor. Those who have reported themselves as baby faces, with very light soft hair on only parts of their face, the AS-D2 will provide the follicle weight reduction that you require. But keep in mind, even though its a mild razor, it can, and will knick you in the moostash area going ATG, if you are not careful, same goes for chin too. I discovered this the hard way guys, trust me, its a thing.

I find what works best, is working on the area a little bit, then immediately applying more soap lather to the spot, and going over it again. This keeps the skin slick enough, to allow the razor to do the job, without knicking you real bad. Part of how we knick ourselves with the AS-D2 however, is because were going over the spot numerous times, know why? Cause the razor is exceptionally mild! So, a razor that is supposed to keep you away from trouble, gets you into it faster then you can get out of it.

But guess what? I don't have a baby face, I don't have thin soft sparse hair growth. I have thick course wiry hair, yes the kind who's stubble could polish a rock! And this is why, even as much as I love my Feather AS-D2 razor, I have to stop using it for my 2-days shaves. I needed something that could handle course thick hair and 2-day stubble, and do it quickly, and efficiently. So, with that said, I decided to upgrade to an adjustable razor.

I ordered a Rex Ambassador, should get here next month. Its a razor that is supposed to handle large amounts of hair growth, and its supposed to handle course thick hair. My plan currently, is to set it to setting 4, try it out for the WTG pass on 2-day stubble. What I am looking for, is the razor to effectively remove all the bulk in hopefully single passes if that is possible. Then on the 2nd pass, I am going to come back on a ATG pass with the razor set to setting 1, for the final finishing and buffing.

Why am I no longer making XTG passes you might ask? Well, every single time I tried that with my Feather, for a total of a 3 pass shave, I'd knick my neck, cause extra irritation, bleeding. I just have one of those kind of faces and necks that just say, oh please god no. I find, I get plenty good enough shave with my Feather, with just a two pass shave. I expect no less of a higher end adjustable such as the Rex Ambassador, but I will have to see.

As with everything in life, YYMV.

I don't find the R41 GS particularly aggressive. The shave is generally smooth and non threatening. But it does cut pretty deep. As such, the razor for me, is a great, efficient razor, but won't make it as a daily driver, as the depth of cut can lead to irritation after 2-3 consecutive days of shaving.
So true

Fascinating discussion guys. So here's the deal, I bought the Feather AS-D2, its an excellent razor for the price, an absolute tank! I also love the textured grip handle, easy to hold in the hand, and the weight of the razor, does all the work carrying the blade through the cut. You don't have to use any pressure, but because its a unique design, you have to use a weird angle of 50 degrees, and ride the cap. Its cast and or injection molded out of solid stainless steel, so durability is high, no chrome plating to chip away.

Having said all that, it is an extremely mild razor. Those who have reported themselves as baby faces, with very light soft hair on only parts of their face, the AS-D2 will provide the follicle weight reduction that you require. But keep in mind, even though its a mild razor, it can, and will knick you in the moostash area going ATG, if you are not careful, same goes for chin too. I discovered this the hard way guys, trust me, its a thing.

I find what works best, is working on the area a little bit, then immediately applying more soap lather to the spot, and going over it again. This keeps the skin slick enough, to allow the razor to do the job, without knicking you real bad. Part of how we knick ourselves with the AS-D2 however, is because were going over the spot numerous times, know why? Cause the razor is exceptionally mild! So, a razor that is supposed to keep you away from trouble, gets you into it faster then you can get out of it.

But guess what? I don't have a baby face, I don't have thin soft sparse hair growth. I have thick course wiry hair, yes the kind who's stubble could polish a rock! And this is why, even as much as I love my Feather AS-D2 razor, I have to stop using it for my 2-days shaves. I needed something that could handle course thick hair and 2-day stubble, and do it quickly, and efficiently. So, with that said, I decided to upgrade to an adjustable razor.

I ordered a Rex Ambassador, should get here next month. Its a razor that is supposed to handle large amounts of hair growth, and its supposed to handle course thick hair. My plan currently, is to set it to setting 4, try it out for the WTG pass on 2-day stubble. What I am looking for, is the razor to effectively remove all the bulk in hopefully single passes if that is possible. Then on the 2nd pass, I am going to come back on a ATG pass with the razor set to setting 1, for the final finishing and buffing.

Why am I no longer making XTG passes you might ask? Well, every single time I tried that with my Feather, for a total of a 3 pass shave, I'd knick my neck, cause extra irritation, bleeding. I just have one of those kind of faces and necks that just say, oh please god no. I find, I get plenty good enough shave with my Feather, with just a two pass shave. I expect no less of a higher end adjustable such as the Rex Ambassador, but I will have to see.

As with everything in life, YYMV.
Ah, mate, just to share some thoughts. The Rex Ambassador for me (operative keyword) was not a good purchase. I had the same thoughts as you earlier on in my shave journey and bought it. It simply did not give me a smooth shave no matter how I tried. So I put it aside for a few months. When I thought my technique was better, I tried it again. And again. And again. Many times. So fast forward 2 years, I have declared the Ambassador NGMFM - No Good Mileage For Me. I have thick wiry facial hair that sticks out like needles.

My current collection includes well known nasties such as the Timeless Bronze Open Comb as well as the Asylum RX v2 both of which I found more aggressive than the R41, but both are able to deliver a much more consistently smooth shave compared to the Ambassador. Don't get me wrong, I am not dissing it, simply saying that it didn't work for me.

If your budget permits and you are interested to try more razors, there are a few out there that I found really good.
Out of Europe, there is the Fatip Lo Storto (zamak unfortunately), Greencult, Stando Chors, Monocero Husaria, Tatara Nodachi OC.
Out of the US, YPM EH plate, Carbon 316L, Timeless SLIM OC, Blackland Blackbird OC, Blackland Vector OC just to name a few.

Anyway, I really hope the Ambassador works out for you. It's an extremely well made razor, and I love the engineering that went into it. Happy shaves.

Top Bottom