What's new

Muhle R41 compared to Razorock Game Changer or Lupo?

I have a 2011 R41(purchased in 2011 too) and have had some good super close shaves over the years but also quite a few fairly rough shaves. In contrast I have owned the SS Lupo 95 SB for almost two years and I don't think I have ever had a bad shave with it. For an efficient razor it is incredibly forgiving and intuitive. It also seems to work well with almost every blade I have ever tried in it whereas the R41 is much picker on which blades seem to work well in it. I also have the Game Changer .84 SB and it is also a very forgiving easy to use razor but not as efficient as the LUPO 95 SB. My preference is #1 = LUPO 95 SB, #2 = Game Changer 84 SB, #3 = R41.

You might be well served with the stainless steel Rocca. I shave regularly with the R41 head. I also have a very the DE89.

With the Rocca, you have the benefit of a razor that handles like both of these Muhle's.

It is even easier to use than the DE89. It has less blade feel than the R41.

But, the shaving experience is very smooth and the closeness is quite similar to the R41. The R41 still shaves the closest but the Rocca is an easier shave and almost as close.

My Rocca is a lot easier to use than the R41. The R41 is really a "special occasion" razor because it is simply so aggressive. With several days of whisker growth, it is an excellent tool! For a daily shave, it is way more aggressive than needed IHMO, at least for my face and whiskers.

The Rocca makes a much more practical daily shaver for myself. That being said, the Edwin Jagger 3one6 is even easier to use and is ~90+% of the Rocca. The 3one6 will give me a weeper or even a bleed IF I screw up due to a distraction or some similar lapse but, not nearly as bad or easy as the Rocca. The Rocca is less forgiving of an "oops" and the resulting bleed will be worse than with the 3one6 in my experience.

That being said, all three are really good razors; just don't wear Hiking boots to a track meet, dress loafers hiking, or track shoes to the office, and expect not to suffer some minor mishaps if you take a misstep.

There are so many Razorock discussions and comments, I'm a bit lost in the differences in comparisons. I realize faces and whiskers are all different, and that DE blades and shave creams/soaps make further differences to muddy the waters.

Which Razorock Game Changer and Lupo heads come closest to the Muhle R41? Which are a little milder and which are more aggressive?

For myself, I find the R41 to be very aggressive and not a one-pass BBS shave, at least not yet. If I'm doing a two-pass shave, I tend to think something a bit milder is best. This isn't to say the R41 is bad in any way but, I just don't see it being a daily driver right now though, after a long camping weekend it is awesome!

I see the Game Changer mentioned a lot, so my interest started there with Razorock razors but, the Lupo posts have me leaning in that direction for its reported more nimble performance. I'm looking for USA and European options so, Aliexpress razor options are not something I will spend my money on at this time.

TIA,
Sid
The RazoRock head that comes closest to the R41 is the Wunderbar Slant. To me they give an identical shave. The only other RR head I have is the Aluminium Lupo, which I find far too mild to be useful. That's not a criticism of RR as I really admire their machining, but when they copy a mild razor the result is inevitably another mild razor.

I have a 2011 R41 arriving soon, which will make an interesting comparison.

I own, and use fairly regularly, the Lupo .95 SB. Fantastic shaver.

My opinion is that it is roughly on par with the R41 as far as result but far easier to wield.

I'll respectfully disagree with my friend @StewB and report that I find the Lupo to possess a wider range of effective angle. It is also a much smoother ride overall.

In contrast, while the R41 certainly deserves it's reputation for efficiency the experience in the shave is not nearly as comfortable IMO. Just a much harsher feeling head esp when used steep. Which seems (again, apologies @StewB) to be the angle it was explicitly designed for.

I am yet unfamiliar with any RR razors. The R41 (2022 purchase so with the latest head iteration and therefore the 'mildest' version to date) is an exceptional shaver unlike any other razor I have. It can be harsh, but that is in my opinion usually on the blade more than it is on the razor. The one thing to pay attention to in my experience is pressure. Don't use pressure and perhaps counterintuitive use a sharp(er) blade.

One that comes close - and you also wanted to consider European options - is the Green Cult 2.0 on level II or higher. I have level II myself and that delivers fenomenal shaves as well. I have also read good press about the Blutt from Switzerland, but have no experience with that myself. Same goes for the Tatara Nodachi.

Cheers,

Guido.

Hi Gents:

My 2 cents, from an average beard growth guy, balding male using cella soap and Astra SS blades.

Received just today, the Lupo 72 with UFO handle and Lupo 95 with barber pole handle. Both handles 85 mm. The barber pole about .3 oz heavier than the UFO. I decided to conduct an evaluation of the R41gs (stainless) vs the two newly arrived Lupos. The R41 also on a RR barber pole handle.

I shaved right side of face, WTG and XTG, with the Lupo 72. The left side, WTG and XTG, with the Lupo 95. The head, as I normally do, with the R41gs, one pass ATG. Four days since my last shave - a very smooth, happy, experience with the venerable RR GC 84p sb.

My observations and results:

Observations:
I really like the way the Lupos are made and look. Fit and finish are great. And I do really like the RR SS handles in the 85 mm size. Finish is great. Knurling is just abrasive enough. Diameter and weight are comfortable for me. I do wish the UFO had a flat bottom but that is just a personal preference which you may differ. I appreciate that the handle indentation on the base plate holds a M5 nylon washer (yes, I am one of those guys) so perfectly that it only pops out when you tap it out. The Lupos look cool with their diagonal corners. I like the scalloped safety bar. I am not knowledgeable enough to know how it affects shave performance - but I prefer scalloped bars if an option. To me the R41 is not really an open comb but rather a safety bar with extra-large scallops. Again, I do not know if that is technically correct, but that's how it seems to me.

One thing I did not like as a 59-year-old-man with vision issues (that are absolutely service related - come on VA give me a break) is the font on the underside of the base plate. The Lupo 72/Lupo 95 was really small for me to read. With virtully no extra cost RR could have made that font larger. Many here have more than one Lupo. I resorted to different handles - barber pole, UFO, UFO Haloed, as a method to distinguish the razor types 95/72/58 respectively.

Results:
On the face, right side, Lupo 72. A nice shave as described by many on this forum. More blade feel than I had anticipated compared to the prior shave with the must-try-for-yourself despite the different cap style RR GC 89 but less than a Muhle Rocca. Not uncomfortable but noticeable. I was never concerned about getting bit or burned. The slim tapered head was great for around my nostrils - I noticed it as an improvement over other razors (6s, GC, Variant, Muhle triplets, and the other usual suspects). However, the shave, which was very acceptable was not as close as the left side/95 side.

One the face, left side, Lupo 95. Similar feel to the Lupo 72. Had I been blindfolded, I could tell them apart (except for the aforementioned handle differentiator). I did cut myself on the chin. Normally a difficult spot for me. I dont blame the razor. I think it was just me distracted by the excitement of my first three-razor-challenge/review and relatively sloppy minor-league technique. Visually, no differnce in the results (minus the bit of blood). To the touch though, the 95 side was noticeable smoother. A very close shave with no burning or soreness at all. Even now some 30 minutes later, still noticeably smother. No trace of stubble at all save for a small amount on my neck due to my *****-footing-around on the XTG pass.

Between the two, the Lupo 95 is the winner. Although I do think the results may be different with one or two-days growth and a little more experience with the razors. I anxiously await tomorrow's trial!

On the head, Muhle R41gs (stainless) with the RR barber pol handle. I just do not like the Muhle handle. It was certainly expensive but too long and not grippy enough for my liking. I do regularly shave with the r41 chromed and this was my first shave with the stainless edition. One pass ATG. Very smooth. Extremely close. Maybe unfair to judge a head shave vs a face shave but the R41 was smother and closer. Smoother and closer on one pass than the Lupo 95 on two passes. I have used the R41 often and for some reason it just works for me. YMMV.

The Muhle Rocca did not work for me - uncomfortable and razor burn which despite my adolescent technique and cavalier attitude, I have not been so victimized by other razors. I know many others love the Rocca but it just did not work for me. It was beautiful and well-built but alas, I gave it away. Thus, the reason for exploring the Lupos.

Conclusion:
On the face, the Lupos were cool looking and worked well. Betwix the two, there was indistinguishable blade feel and smoothness but the 95 was more efficient and closer on my four-days growth. The R41 was the smoothest and closest. I do believe results will be different on less day's growth and the R41 on the face.

Epilog:
Thanks for reading my review. I hope it helps you make a decision if you are considering another razor. I would highly recommend the Razorock Lupo 95 (not sure yet if there would be a reason to purchase the 72 if you have a 95?). I would also not be afraid to try a Muhle R41. It is not for everyone, but it really works well for me especially on the head and on the face with multiple days growth.

In keeping with the spirit of this site and wet shave enthusiast worldwide, I say: "Buy all four (R41, L95, L72, L58) and have fun trying them out." Picture below.

Ciao

image_67216897.JPG

Hi Gents:

My 2 cents, from an average beard growth guy, balding male using cella soap and Astra SS blades.

Received just today, the Lupo 72 with UFO handle and Lupo 95 with barber pole handle. Both handles 85 mm. The barber pole about .3 oz heavier than the UFO. I decided to conduct an evaluation of the R41gs (stainless) vs the two newly arrived Lupos. The R41 also on a RR barber pole handle.

I shaved right side of face, WTG and XTG, with the Lupo 72. The left side, WTG and XTG, with the Lupo 95. The head, as I normally do, with the R41gs, one pass ATG. Four days since my last shave - a very smooth, happy, experience with the venerable RR GC 84p sb.

My observations and results:

Observations:
I really like the way the Lupos are made and look. Fit and finish are great. And I do really like the RR SS handles in the 85 mm size. Finish is great. Knurling is just abrasive enough. Diameter and weight are comfortable for me. I do wish the UFO had a flat bottom but that is just a personal preference which you may differ. I appreciate that the handle indentation on the base plate holds a M5 nylon washer (yes, I am one of those guys) so perfectly that it only pops out when you tap it out. The Lupos look cool with their diagonal corners. I like the scalloped safety bar. I am not knowledgeable enough to know how it affects shave performance - but I prefer scalloped bars if an option. To me the R41 is not really an open comb but rather a safety bar with extra-large scallops. Again, I do not know if that is technically correct, but that's how it seems to me.

One thing I did not like as a 59-year-old-man with vision issues (that are absolutely service related - come on VA give me a break) is the font on the underside of the base plate. The Lupo 72/Lupo 95 was really small for me to read. With virtully no extra cost RR could have made that font larger. Many here have more than one Lupo. I resorted to different handles - barber pole, UFO, UFO Haloed, as a method to distinguish the razor types 95/72/58 respectively.

Results:
On the face, right side, Lupo 72. A nice shave as described by many on this forum. More blade feel than I had anticipated compared to the prior shave with the must-try-for-yourself despite the different cap style RR GC 89 but less than a Muhle Rocca. Not uncomfortable but noticeable. I was never concerned about getting bit or burned. The slim tapered head was great for around my nostrils - I noticed it as an improvement over other razors (6s, GC, Variant, Muhle triplets, and the other usual suspects). However, the shave, which was very acceptable was not as close as the left side/95 side.

One the face, left side, Lupo 95. Similar feel to the Lupo 72. Had I been blindfolded, I could tell them apart (except for the aforementioned handle differentiator). I did cut myself on the chin. Normally a difficult spot for me. I dont blame the razor. I think it was just me distracted by the excitement of my first three-razor-challenge/review and relatively sloppy minor-league technique. Visually, no differnce in the results (minus the bit of blood). To the touch though, the 95 side was noticeable smoother. A very close shave with no burning or soreness at all. Even now some 30 minutes later, still noticeably smother. No trace of stubble at all save for a small amount on my neck due to my *****-footing-around on the XTG pass.

Between the two, the Lupo 95 is the winner. Although I do think the results may be different with one or two-days growth and a little more experience with the razors. I anxiously await tomorrow's trial!

On the head, Muhle R41gs (stainless) with the RR barber pol handle. I just do not like the Muhle handle. It was certainly expensive but too long and not grippy enough for my liking. I do regularly shave with the r41 chromed and this was my first shave with the stainless edition. One pass ATG. Very smooth. Extremely close. Maybe unfair to judge a head shave vs a face shave but the R41 was smother and closer. Smoother and closer on one pass than the Lupo 95 on two passes. I have used the R41 often and for some reason it just works for me. YMMV.

The Muhle Rocca did not work for me - uncomfortable and razor burn which despite my adolescent technique and cavalier attitude, I have not been so victimized by other razors. I know many others love the Rocca but it just did not work for me. It was beautiful and well-built but alas, I gave it away. Thus, the reason for exploring the Lupos.

Conclusion:
On the face, the Lupos were cool looking and worked well. Betwix the two, there was indistinguishable blade feel and smoothness but the 95 was more efficient and closer on my four-days growth. The R41 was the smoothest and closest. I do believe results will be different on less day's growth and the R41 on the face.

Epilog:
Thanks for reading my review. I hope it helps you make a decision if you are considering another razor. I would highly recommend the Razorock Lupo 95 (not sure yet if there would be a reason to purchase the 72 if you have a 95?). I would also not be afraid to try a Muhle R41. It is not for everyone, but it really works well for me especially on the head and on the face with multiple days growth.

In keeping with the spirit of this site and wet shave enthusiast worldwide, I say: "Buy all four (R41, L95, L72, L58) and have fun trying them out." Picture below.

Ciao

View attachment 1678377
Hello Fellow Razophiles

I must update my review. I did several other comparison shaves after this with all the other Lupos cept the 58, upon whose arrival I impatiently wait - come on UPS get it together.

Never having analyzed my shaves before, I discovered the the hair on the right side of my face is slightly thicker than the left. Therefore, I would have to say that to me, not only was the feel of the Lupo 72 and 95 the same but also the results.

Also, on the subsequent shave, I got bit in the same spot with the 72 as I did with the 95. Must have had a small pimple there.

I say you can’t go wrong with either the 72 or 95, OC or SB. And there is just something special to me about the R41. Shaves closely, efficiently, and enjoyably - both the chromed and the stainless steel. Unfortunately, neither handle do I like but easily replacable on a three-piece razor.
Happy Shaving!

R41 is unique in my opinion. From blade feel, angle, even the slightest tugging I feel with it sometimes I find enjoyable. It's ripping everything out from the root it seems!

Wonderful one or two pass shaver. It's my travel razor, not because I don't like it, but because I spend most of my days in hotels waking up early in the AM and nothing beats it for a 1 pass + residual slickness touchup!

I just want to point out that the range of angles at which the R41 will cut hair is quite large and forgiving compared to a lot of other razors. Your mileage with the R41 is gonna vary in large part based on the angle you use... just because it's cutting hair doesn't mean it's at the best angle to get what the user ultimately wants out of his shave.

FANTASTIC review and write up @AJ Monte!!

I have not had the pleasure of shaving with a Lupo as they are sold here (EU) with a premium, but I can echo your statement about the R41. It may not be for everyone, but it is an amazing razor with unsurpassed results if you respect it. And a replacement head is relatively cheap.

Thanks again!

Guido

The RazoRock head that comes closest to the R41 is the Wunderbar Slant. To me they give an identical shave. The only other RR head I have is the Aluminium Lupo, which I find far too mild to be useful. That's not a criticism of RR as I really admire their machining, but when they copy a mild razor the result is inevitably another mild razor.

I have a 2011 R41 arriving soon, which will make an interesting comparison.
Take your time with that 2011! I use a steep angle with mine and you may have to try a few different blades. I believe sharper is blades tend to work better for me. I tried Derby Extra and they just didn't cut it! I use middle grade blades, not Feathers with mine.

I have shaved almost exclusively with a R41 and a Lupo 95 for the past month. If you play with blade selection you can get them close. Rarely can the Lupo come behind the R41, but the R41 can almost always find whiskers the Lupo can’t pick up. The easy answer is the Lupo is smoother until it’s not. It’s as unforgiving as the R41, it maybe easier to knick yourself. The R41 is automatic for me, smooth and efficient, great face feel after. It gives feedback but that does not equal aggression. It’s really hard for me to put it down. I have a Cooper Z0 that’s a beautiful razor but it’s not a R41. With that said I enjoy my Lupo and plan to hang onto it. For me the Lupo Paired with a PermaSharp can stand toe to toe with the R41 with an Astra SP, most of the time. The Lupo and the Tile (or Henson) are the best DE razors for under and around facial hair.

IMG_1176.jpeg

I have used many of the razors discussed in this thread. I no longer own an R41, GameChanger .68 or .84, or EJ 3one6. They were all very good razors, but the R41 was too rough, and I found that the Lupo .95OC (along with the RazoRock Superslant, Blackland Dart, and Karve Christopher Bradley with G SB) provided just as close a shave with a lot less drama. The Rocca is another favorite of mine, but I don't think it is as efficient as the Lupo, Supersland, Dart or Karve CB.

Top Bottom