What's new

Muhle R41 compared to Razorock Game Changer or Lupo?

There are so many Razorock discussions and comments, I'm a bit lost in the differences in comparisons. I realize faces and whiskers are all different, and that DE blades and shave creams/soaps make further differences to muddy the waters.

Which Razorock Game Changer and Lupo heads come closest to the Muhle R41? Which are a little milder and which are more aggressive?

For myself, I find the R41 to be very aggressive and not a one-pass BBS shave, at least not yet. If I'm doing a two-pass shave, I tend to think something a bit milder is best. This isn't to say the R41 is bad in any way but, I just don't see it being a daily driver right now though, after a long camping weekend it is awesome!

I see the Game Changer mentioned a lot, so my interest started there with Razorock razors but, the Lupo posts have me leaning in that direction for its reported more nimble performance. I'm looking for USA and European options so, Aliexpress razor options are not something I will spend my money on at this time.

TIA,
Sid

FWIW, I have tried several Lupos (Aluminum, .72 SB, .95 SB, and .95 OC) and none of them feel anything at all like the R41. I have never tried the GC but have heard good things about it. If you're interested in the Lupo design and don't mind a lighter (aluminum) razor, the aluminum Lupo is a pretty nice and inexpensive option.

FWIW, I have tried several Lupos (Aluminum, .72 SB, .95 SB, and .95 OC) and none of them feel anything at all like the R41. I have never tried the GC but have heard good things about it. If you're interested in the Lupo design and don't mind a lighter (aluminum) razor, the aluminum Lupo is a pretty nice and inexpensive option

Agreed. The R41 has a bit more bladefeel. A lot of people mention aggressiveness but do not go into the specifics as to what that means. The R41's so called open comb arrangement allows for deeper blade contact as opposed to the SB heads. This can give rise to more bladefeel. However, the way the blade is engaged will also affect the overall feel.

The Lupo .95 OC from an efficiency (how easily it removes hair) perspective is as good as the R41, but it feels a bit smoother. In terms of the depth of the shave, the R41 comes out slightly on top, meaning that you will have that mild exfoliated feeling after shaving with the R41. It also takes slightly longer for regrowth to show.

In terms of sheer aggression (how likely you are to cut yourself) I would rate the Lupo .95 OC on the same level as the R41.

The closest in terms of absolute feel and shave characteristics to the R41 would be the Polish Monocero Husaria OC.

The Razorock razor aggressiveness scale might be useful for you. There are several competitors' razors listed toward the bottom of the page.

A good place to start but, no mention of Muhle or Edwin Jagger razors. The EJ89 and R41 both are really mainstream and are a big miss in that table IMHO.

The all-stainless Muhle Mocca and Edwin Jagger 3one6 would be really good additions to that 'scale' too.

Agreed. The R41 has a bit more bladefeel. A lot of people mention aggressiveness but do not go into the specifics as to what that means. The R41's so called open comb arrangement allows for deeper blade contact as opposed to the SB heads. This can give rise to more bladefeel. However, the way the blade is engaged will also affect the overall feel.

The Lupo .95 OC from an efficiency (how easily it removes hair) perspective is as good as the R41, but it feels a bit smoother. In terms of the depth of the shave, the R41 comes out slightly on top, meaning that you will have that mild exfoliated feeling after shaving with the R41. It also takes slightly longer for regrowth to show.

In terms of sheer aggression (how likely you are to cut yourself) I would rate the Lupo .95 OC on the same level as the R41.

The closest in terms of absolute feel and shave characteristics to the R41 would be the Polish Monocero Husaria OC.

Thanks! Lots of good info there.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
The whiskers under my jawline are better at dodging my 2013-R41 than they are at dodging any RazoRock product in my grimy horde (including a RazoRock Game Changer JAWS 0.84).

I can't give you comparisons to other razors. I only own the RazoRock Game Changer 68-P and the GC 84-P. Both are exceptional razors and each give a DFS +, no nicks, or weepers if I keep my technique clean.

Understand, I've always used inferior plated 'pot metal' head and brass handle razors until now. A CNC machined, stainless steel razor is a huge improvement.

I have a couple of threads about my experience with both razors.

I'm just finishing a 5 shave evaluation with the GC 68-P and Astra SP blade. Last week it was the GC 84-P and a leftover Personna SS Comfort Coated blade.

Each shave, has been exceptional. But, as we always say around here. JMHO, YMMV.

b/r

ON_1

FWIW, I have tried several Lupos (Aluminum, .72 SB, .95 SB, and .95 OC) and none of them feel anything at all like the R41. I have never tried the GC but have heard good things about it. If you're interested in the Lupo design and don't mind a lighter (aluminum) razor, the aluminum Lupo is a pretty nice and inexpensive option.

I'm really into all stainless steel razors right now. Aluminum versions I have held just didn't feel that good in my hand but, that being said they weren't premium razors from the bigger razor names in forums like this one.

If I went aluminum, I would be really tempted to try a Henson! If Henson had a stainless option, I would probably have one in my stable today. At ~$70, the Razorock stainless options seem to be good values overall.

Based on the Razorock scale, their aluminum options probably aren't a good choice for me as it likely duplicates the EJ89/R89 razors I have.

I've got a Lupo 72 & 95 and I have a GC 84P ... They are both very nice but neither is even remotely as efficient as the R41 (for me). The R41 is so efficient that when I get the angle right (still learning) I get a very close shave with less irritation than trying to get the same closeness with more passes from the Lupo or GC.

But the Lupo and GC are much more relaxing to shave with - I have to be focused and paying attention with the R41 :)

Interesting perspective. To me the Lupo is not as efficient as the R41. To be fair, this might be due to my technique (I've only been using DE razors for about a year). In terms of efficiency for me, the Lupo .95 OC is a 7.5/10 or maybe an 8/10, and the R41 is a 9.5/10. Just my completely subjective opinion, of course.

If I went aluminum, I would be really tempted to try a Henson! If Henson had a stainless option, I would probably have one in my stable today. At ~$70, the Razorock stainless options seem to be good values overall.
If you prefer efficient razors, the Henson may not be to your liking. (For me the Henson did not live up to the hype.)

The whiskers under my jawline are better at dodging my 2013-R41 than they are at dodging any RazoRock product in my grimy horde (including a RazoRock Game Changer JAWS 0.84).
Interesting. Exactly the opposite for me with the Lupo. The R41 does me better.

I know this isn’t specifically what you asked for, but you might try making a Frankenrazor. Using the top cap of a razorock SLOC head on your R41 base still allows close efficient shave that are mild enough for every day use. You can buy just the head for around $7 or a complete razor for $20. I use it in my rotation along with a GC .84 OC and SB along with putting a mamba .70 top cap on the GC bases. I get great shaves from them all using nacet blades. Hope this helps.

While I don't have a Game Changer SB, I do have the Game Changer Jaws .65, which efficiency wise, seems a couple steps below the R41. The R41 is less menacing to look at, as the wide comb on the GC Jaws is a bit intimidating at first glance. I also find the R41 less likely to give me a nick or cut, than the GC Jaws.

Granted I've only had three shaves with the R41 head, however, I find it a very easy on the skin, and lighter on blade feel than many other razors. The Rex Ambassador, and even my Slim loaded with a KAI blade has more blade feel, yet the R41 seems much more efficient, tackling those tough to get smooth areas much easier than either of the others. Only wish I had tried on sooner, it's great razor. Three consecutive days, and my face has no irritation or tender spots from using it....for me, it's easily a daily driver.

The last 5, or so Thread responses are a perfect example of "JMHO, YMMV". LOL! I love it.

Shaving is such a personal experience, if you ask 5 different people to evaluate a particular 'razor/blade' combo, you'll get 5 divergent opinions.

If, a particular razor and blade gives you an exceptional shave, I don't care if you picked it up on a BOGO table at Flea Market for $0.50 or paid $800, if it works for you, go for it.

b/r

ON_1

Interesting perspective. To me the Lupo is not as efficient as the R41. To be fair, this might be due to my technique (I've only been using DE razors for about a year). In terms of efficiency for me, the Lupo .95 OC is a 7.5/10 or maybe an 8/10, and the R41 is a 9.5/10. Just my completely subjective opinion, of course.
100% agree.

I have (or had) all the razors you mention. The R41 is just too tough for me. It may work well if I only shaved a couple times a week, but I’m a daily shaver. The Game Changer 84 was not a good performer for me…not very smooth or efficient. The Lupo 95 in comparison to the others is the best razor of the bunch for my face. Smooth with a little bit of blade feel. It compares to the 3one6 and Rocca you have but with a bit more blade feel and efficiency. Great bank for the buck razor and one I need to use more often.

I used the Lupo .95 with the safety bar plate this morning. I had forgotten what a good performing razor it is. It has a narrower efficiency angle than the R41. I paid close attention to use a shallower angle with the Lupo and it provided me a excellent shave.

In terms of efficiency based on this morning's shave, for me the Lupo .95 is not far behind the R41. One thing I would say is that a super close shave is a little easier to achieve using the R41 because it has a wider efficiency angle (by which I mean it works well used with a wider range of angles).

Top Bottom