What's new

Muhle R 41 head compared to Vintage Gillette Slim adjustable.

I have a tough beard so I had heard about the Muhle R 41 being aggressive and wanted to try it.
I received the Muhle R41 head 3 to 4 days ago and have used it for the past few days. On the first day I felt some irritation using a new shark blade. Probably not used to it. On the second and third day I used the shark and got a really close shave without irritation.

Today just for fun, I tried the same shark blade in my Gillette slim adjustable. Used a 3 setting for WTG, 5 for XTG, and then 2 for ATG. Wow! what a shave. Even with the 4th use of the shark blade I got an incredible shave without any irritation.

So for those thinking about a Muhle head, go ahead and get it if you can get a good deal for it, however, a vintage gillette adjustable will give you as close a shave depending on passes and technique and I paid $25 for the it.

That's an intelligent way of managing an adjustable razor - and apparently, more than a few others are using an adjustable the same way.

For those of us with less bristly beards (or who are, like me, basically lazy), keeping it at a moderate level keeps your shave close and comfortable - without having to make adjustments mid-shave. Using different blades depending on aggressiveness makes sense, too; I can only use a Personna at settings 2 - 4 of an adjustable, though an Astra is pretty amenable to different sensitivities.

Top Bottom