What's new

Muhle is launching a LE R41 Stainless Steel

M

member 119848

I get along with the R41 and can certainly use it, but I don't love it nor do I find it "smooth." It's a bit prone to biting, too, but, it's quite efficient. I'm not entirely sure I want the SS version unless there's a significant improvement, and it looks just the same (with tiny variations) except for the SS. Am I wrong?
I know this question was addressed to Cal but I´ll still give you my opinion. 🙂
I had the plated version years ago so I can´t make a direct comparison, but for me it shaves the same.
The handle is big indeed, but my main issue is that it lacks grip. It´s okay with water, but it´s just too slippy when lather reaches the handle. May be the added weight of the razor makes the grip worse, I don´t know. So I keep my hands dry and I´m good.

The outcome of my shaves are stellar. Recently I used the razor 14 days in a row and got a daily BBS without irritation. Just wonderful... my only complaint is that my shaves are not that comfortable. The razor pulls my hair, especially on the first pass. And I´m sure it has to do with lack of rigidity. FYI : I´m using Astra SP so it may be different with other blades. But these blades work fine in all the other razors I tried.
I had the same issue with the chrome plated version.

The outcome of my shaves are stellar. Recently I used the razor 14 days in a row and got a daily BBS without irritation. Just wonderful... my only complaint is that my shaves are not that comfortable. The razor pulls my hair, especially on the first pass. And I´m sure it has to do with lack of rigidity.
14 days, wow, that's impressive.

I get the smoothest shaves (in terms of shaves with the R41) with blades that tend to be on the sharper edge of the spectrum (no pun intended), inter alia BIC Chrome Platinum, Nacet or Wilkinson Sword Germany, even Feathers are okay in their second use.

You might give these blades a try...

M

member 119848

14 days, wow, that's impressive.

I get the smoothest shaves (in terms of shaves with the R41) with blades that tend to be on the sharper edge of the spectrum (no pun intended), inter alia BIC Chrome Platinum, Nacet or Wilkinson Sword Germany, even Feathers are okay in their second use.

You might give these blades a try...
With a light touch the R41 can definitely be a daily driver. And I also find that shaving ATG is a no-go with this razor.

My discomfort could also be overcome with more prepping (like more time taken soaking the hair). But I´m not having this issue with razors that hold the blade more rigidly. And if more time is needed to soften my stubble, the razor looses its daily-driver status 🙂
I´ll still take your advice and try it with a Nacet.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I know this question was addressed to Cal but I´ll still give you my opinion. 🙂
I had the plated version years ago so I can´t make a direct comparison, but for me it shaves the same.
The handle is big indeed, but my main issue is that it lacks grip. It´s okay with water, but it´s just too slippy when lather reaches the handle. May be the added weight of the razor makes the grip worse, I don´t know. So I keep my hands dry and I´m good.

The outcome of my shaves are stellar. Recently I used the razor 14 days in a row and got a daily BBS without irritation. Just wonderful... my only complaint is that my shaves are not that comfortable. The razor pulls my hair, especially on the first pass. And I´m sure it has to do with lack of rigidity. FYI : I´m using Astra SP so it may be different with other blades. But these blades work fine in all the other razors I tried.
I had the same issue with the chrome plated version.

Back around the 4th of July, 2018, I used the R41 for a couple of weeks while at the beach. Mostly with a Polsilver SI blade.

1619879439389.png

While reading my posts from that time period I came across this photo. It has nothing to do with anything, but it amuses me.

I was pretty impressed with the R41. Used daily, and thus "mastered" to a degree, it can be pretty smooth feeling on the skin. It's certainly pretty efficient (but, of course, for me, requires a million passes or strokes or whatever you call 'em). Not as efficient as the iKon Tech (or Tek), but far smoother feeling.

I've not consistently used the R41 since then, but have used it off and on a bit. It's certainly not as smooth feeling a shaver as some razors which are almost as efficient (Fatip OC Slant, Timeless Bronze 68 SB, Gillette Executive on #5 come to mind), but it's not generally as rough feeling as other razors (like the iKon Tech). Of course, that's my face and not yours, etc. YMMV.

In my experience with it, my R41 is prone to occasionally biting me (which I do not appreciate in a razor) and to occasionally leaving a weeper (again...). Those were problems during the two weeks I used the R41 at the beach.

I was hoping the SS version might be better in regard to these bloody events but apparently it is not.

Oh, well.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Back around the 4th of July, 2018, I used the R41 for a couple of weeks while at the beach. Mostly with a Polsilver SI blade.

View attachment 1260503

While reading my posts from that time period I came across this photo. It has nothing to do with anything, but it amuses me.

I was pretty impressed with the R41. Used daily, and thus "mastered" to a degree, it can be pretty smooth feeling on the skin. It's certainly pretty efficient (but, of course, for me, requires a million passes or strokes or whatever you call 'em). Not as efficient as the iKon Tech (or Tek), but far smoother feeling.

I've not consistently used the R41 since then, but have used it off and on a bit. It's certainly not as smooth feeling a shaver as some razors which are almost as efficient (Fatip OC Slant, Timeless Bronze 68 SB, Gillette Executive on #5 come to mind), but it's not generally as rough feeling as other razors (like the iKon Tech). Of course, that's my face and not yours, etc. YMMV.

In my experience with it, my R41 is prone to occasionally biting me (which I do not appreciate in a razor) and to occasionally leaving a weeper (again...). Those were problems during the two weeks I used the R41 at the beach.

I was hoping the SS version might be better in regard to these bloody events but apparently it is not.

Oh, well.

Happy shaves,

Jim
You've got the sense of it. It is smoother than the Ikon Tek, but not as efficient and the head architecture is the same as the chrome 2013 R41. It does probably have tighter tolerances, but doesn't really shave any differently.

M

member 119848

Thanks for sharing @Chan Eil Whiskers , this lady shines pure class!
I have the Timeless .68 too but I´ll have to make a shave-off with the R41 in order to assess if its not far behind the R41 in terms of efficiency. It seems surprising at first, but with 24h of growth you might be right.
Speaking of Timeless... I received my Slim plate this week. In terms of blade feel the Slim can directly be compared to the R41. Because Timeless razors clamp the blade so firmly, I don´t have to worry about my hair being pulled, or getting a weeper.

View attachment 1260503

Oh, well.

Happy shaves,

Jim

He looks familiar.

1619887534309.png

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
4th day in a row with the R41 stainless and still no signs of irritation nor razor burn.
I´m going to use it the whole month as if it was my daily. 🙂
You should be fine if you got four days, for as many as you want to go. I borrowed my neighbors and did a month straight. It's not the most comfortable shave while at task, but once done, there is no razor that has left me as close with zero irritation.

I have to buy one soon.

I really like my Muhle R41 standard Zamak razor head. I got a full standard 3 piece R41 at the end of Feb this year, and really liked it. I was not keen on the handle so quickly changed it for a Razorock HD handle. I even used it daily in the Fixed Four for March Madness which went very well, with consistent close and incident free shaves for over 95% of my shaves. Since then it has been my go to razor, and I have even sold my Maggard slant and FOCS, as I was hardly using them after getting the R41. For me the R41 just seems near perfect, and I only get the odd weepers or nicks when I am rushing or not concentrating.

So when the R41GS got release I was keen for a SS R41 head, but was not sure about the handle. As the handle looked a bit long and I didn't think the knurling looked deep enough, or grippy enough. Also the cost was a bit off putting, however I decided if I sold my Fatboy which I hardly use, I would get the R41GS. So I ended up selling the Fatboy a few weeks ago so purchased the R41GS.

First thoughts with the R41GS was the head looked identical to the Zamak R41, also the handle was a bit too long for me and offered a bit of grip but I was disappointed with it. Now the shave was very close and my R41GS seems a good bit more aggressive than my standard R41. It was also more tuggy and rougher so I changed my Nacet blade, for a new one and it was just the same. At the end of my shave I had a lot closer shave than I get with the Zamak R41, however I had to shave slowly and with a lot of care, but still had a couple of weepers.

Having used the R41GS for the next few days I continued to find it was rougher, closer and tuggy. So I change the blade again and it was still the same. I then went back to the Zamak R41 head with the same blade, and it is shaved a lot smoother and less tuggy. The blade was not the issue with the shave, it was the R41GS head. In fact my R41GS head feels like it holds the blade a bit too horizontal, as when shaving my chin area the blade seem to dig into my stubble rather than glide over my skin and cut off the stubble.

When you compare the R41 zamak head and the R41GS head, the top cap and bottom plate are slightly different. You can see the blade clamping surfaces are in a slightly different position, so it will hold the blade slightly different.
20210611_093910[1].jpg

Also when I tried my Muhle head cover on both the heads I found the R41GS was loose inside the cover, while the Zamak R41 was a lot tighter inside the cover. This confirms that the head geometry is slightly different between the Zamak R41 and R41GS.

Zamak head below in head guard.
20210611_093854[1].jpg

R41GS head below in head guard.
20210611_102023[1].jpg

So for me the R41GS is not the same great experience as the Zamak R41 head. Infact, I am very disappointed with the R41GS razor head, handle and most importantly the shave. Has anyone else had the same experience as me?

Thanks @Beantin for your assessment.

I like the R41 and was planning to get either it or the stainless version at some point in the future. The original sounds more appealing to me

I would just buy the Zamak R41 head as It is available for $25. Then use another handle you like. As the muhle handles look nice but offer very little grip.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I really like my Muhle R41 standard Zamak razor head. I got a full standard 3 piece R41 at the end of Feb this year, and really liked it. I was not keen on the handle so quickly changed it for a Razorock HD handle. I even used it daily in the Fixed Four for March Madness which went very well, with consistent close and incident free shaves for over 95% of my shaves. Since then it has been my go to razor, and I have even sold my Maggard slant and FOCS, as I was hardly using them after getting the R41. For me the R41 just seems near perfect, and I only get the odd weepers or nicks when I am rushing or not concentrating.

So when the R41GS got release I was keen for a SS R41 head, but was not sure about the handle. As the handle looked a bit long and I didn't think the knurling looked deep enough, or grippy enough. Also the cost was a bit off putting, however I decided if I sold my Fatboy which I hardly use, I would get the R41GS. So I ended up selling the Fatboy a few weeks ago so purchased the R41GS.

First thoughts with the R41GS was the head looked identical to the Zamak R41, also the handle was a bit too long for me and offered a bit of grip but I was disappointed with it. Now the shave was very close and my R41GS seems a good bit more aggressive than my standard R41. It was also more tuggy and rougher so I changed my Nacet blade, for a new one and it was just the same. At the end of my shave I had a lot closer shave than I get with the Zamak R41, however I had to shave slowly and with a lot of care, but still had a couple of weepers.

Having used the R41GS for the next few days I continued to find it was rougher, closer and tuggy. So I change the blade again and it was still the same. I then went back to the Zamak R41 head with the same blade, and it is shaved a lot smoother and less tuggy. The blade was not the issue with the shave, it was the R41GS head. In fact my R41GS head feels like it holds the blade a bit too horizontal, as when shaving my chin area the blade seem to dig into my stubble rather than glide over my skin and cut off the stubble.

When you compare the R41 zamak head and the R41GS head, the top cap and bottom plate are slightly different. You can see the blade clamping surfaces are in a slightly different position, so it will hold the blade slightly different.
View attachment 1279886

Also when I tried my Muhle head cover on both the heads I found the R41GS was loose inside the cover, while the Zamak R41 was a lot tighter inside the cover. This confirms that the head geometry is slightly different between the Zamak R41 and R41GS.

Zamak head below in head guard.
View attachment 1279887

R41GS head below in head guard.
View attachment 1279888

So for me the R41GS is not the same great experience as the Zamak R41 head. Infact, I am very disappointed with the R41GS razor head, handle and most importantly the shave. Has anyone else had the same experience as me?

This may be the most damning review I've ever read.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Knowing you are a fan and regular user of the original is the icing on the cake.

Perhaps with the new version there's some way to use it differently and make it work well. It is, as you say, a different razor. Any chance of that?

Happy shaves,

Jim

This may be the most damning review I've ever read.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Knowing you are a fan and regular user of the original is the icing on the cake.

Perhaps with the new version there's some way to use it differently and make it work well. It is, as you say, a different razor. Any chance of that?

Happy shaves,

Jim

I actually looked at several reviews before purchasing the R41GS. Most people said it shaved just the same as the Zamak R41. The odd person said it was a touch more aggressive.

The one I have just feels like the blade is too flat or horizontal. As the blade want to cut you and doesn't slide over my skin like the Zamak R41.

I have even used the same prep and soap for all my shaves with both R41's over the last couple of weeks. Also used the same blade in each razor so it has to be the R41GS head that is at fault. I am just curious that no one else has the same issue.

Top Bottom