What's new

Muhle Expanding

On a number of occasions, I've read posts inquiring as to whether the DE shaving world might cease to exist at some point in near future. I happened to be perusing the summer 2010 edition of Muhle's online newsletter, The Shaving Mirror (No. 12), and read the following:

"But there is no cause for concern, as the reason behind this is an extremely positive one. We are growing, and production and storage are ex- panding. And to make sure that we do not burst at the seams, extensive construction work has been underway since spring 2010 – a task that involves some considerable challenges."

Also, "Experiencing zero hour for the second time meant: two employees, almost no goods, a market in tatters, and confidence low among sup- pliers and customers. Today, exactly the opposite is the case, despite economically turbulent times."

This is a fantastic company and I'm elated to see that they seem to be in fantastic financial health and committed to the lifestyle of DE shaving.

Last edited:
Also, from their Magazine, entitled "Shaving Culture," the following quote:

"The wet shaving ritual becomes a trend: In 2004, a poll by the German news magazine Stern reveals that 56 percent of German men (22 million) prefer to shave wet."

This blew my mind.

On a number of occasions, I've posts inquiring as to whether the DE shaving world might cease to exist at some point in near future. I happened to be perusing the summer 2010 edition of Muhle's online newsletter, The Shaving Mirror (No. 12), and read the following:
The Shaving Mirror is a great read.

Glad to hear one of our manufacturers are doing so well. It is good to hear of this after reading so many stories about companies going under/bankrupting.

Muhle simply make fantastic products - I've quite a collection building... an R41 razor, best badger brush, nickle razor stand, nickel razor and brush stand as well as a black porcelain shaving bowl.

Their nickel plating is fantastic - it's yellower than I'd normally expect from nickle - and I wish they'd use it on some of their razors too - their chrome is first rate, but a nickel option would be the icing on the cake.

What it boils down to is the shavepocolypse is possible and it could happen if there isn't enough demand for DE equipment. The real question I have and I can't really figure out is how long would it take for that to happen. It's very nice to see Muhle doing so well because they do have a great product and I think they would take steps to keep the market alive for themselves by getting into blade production.

Since at this point it's the possibility of blade production ceasing that is the only threat to DE shaving. For now anyway.

I know they laugh at you but tell your friends about DE. Word of mouth advertising is the best out there.

They have experienced great success with the R89 razor head which has been so well received it appears on more than 20 razors produced by three associated companies. Their designs are superb and the quality of what they do is unmatched.

Vendors worldwide are having problems keeping the new R41 and the just-released razor holder/stand in stock. Production runs are exhausted in record time. Their synthetic brushes are second to none, and they will be announcing new products next month.

All this with what have been 30 employees to date! No wonder they have to make adjustments.

Last edited:

"The wet shaving ritual becomes a trend: In 2004, a poll by the German news magazine Stern reveals that 56 percent of German men (22 million) prefer to shave wet."

This blew my mind.

But what kind of wet shave? Is it with a disposable razor and can of foam?

Disposable/cartridge with canned goo is also wetshaving. Mühle also makes luxury cartridge handles btw so for them DE or cartridge doesn't make much difference......

But I share the common feeling that Mühle is a great company with both good products and good customer service.

I went back to DE after all these years for a few reasons and two were the price of cartridges and quality of shave. I read a few of the newbie posts and the costs of the cartridges are often mentioned. Now that I joined this forum and hang out here a few times a day, I have spent enough money on new gear to have kept me supplied in cartridges for quite some time :) . However, the shaves are closer, the balm that I never used before feels and smells good, I have four brushes vice the one 15 year old boar I had had, I have a variety of expensive creams vice a cup and a cake of Williams and it takes me 20 minutes to shave instead of three. But gee, I am having fun, shaving is now an adventure!

This blew my mind.
I dont think it's 22 million using DE from vintage or new ones, it has to be wet shaving from disposables more than anything else.

Top Bottom