What's new

Muhle 2011 Synthetic...new, serious contender

Well, based on this evidence, I can agree with that. Muhle's new synthetic hair, which they've dubbed "Silver Tip Fiber" and developed side-by-side with silvertip badger hair, is very impressive. It's superior to their synthetic fiber of just 2 years ago. If you didn't know beforehand that it was synthetic, when you first look at the brush, it would be hard to tell. It looks different, feels different, and side-by-side with an Edwin Jagger Super badger, it is eerily similar. But it's more than a gimmick. It performs differently to the 2009 fiber as well. When I first saw it on Muhle's US website and inquired about it, I received an email from a rep of Muhle Germany. He seemed genuinely excited about it, and said that they didn't just change its appearance, it was an all-new product, and even went so far to say that it just might be the "better" choice to badger in terms of creating lather and durability. Bold claim indeed. Sure, it was borne of marketing and salesmanship, but was he onto something? I was curious.

So the brush came yesterday (it wasn't in stock at Muhle US, so it came from Germany). I've tested it with a soap and a cream. I've shaved with it. And while there are a few drawbacks, it's clearly a huge step forward for synthetic. It's gone a long way to close the gap with natural hair, and I believe I'm experienced enough at this point with all kinds of brushes to say that.

Quality: It's Muhle. They make quality stuff. Well built, nice resin handle.

Knot: Again, it's Muhle, so it's not the densest thing in the world, but it's more dense than the first brush I ever got, a Muhle Pure badger. It's also slightly more dense than my Edwin Jagger Super, and noticeably denser than my Muhle 2009 synthetic.. I got a "size medium" brush, with a 21mm knot and I don't really know the loft (Muhle), but I would guess it's about 50mm-52mm, which is taller than I'm used to with non-boar brushes.

Hair: I guess it would be more correct to say "Fiber," but like I said before, the similarity to natural badger is quite remarkable. Side-by-side with my EJ Super, in natural light, there is a striking resemblance. It even FEELS like natural hair; very soft, with a little bit of scritch. But if you look closely, you can see that it's synthetic by the slight sheen the fibers give off in the light and the middle "stripe." But below the stripe and with the tips, this is eerily similar to Super badger. The tips even have the color variation that real hair does.

I know there are those who think this is a gimmick and there's a point to be made there. After all, if hair is synthetic, why make it look like badger? I don't know. I thought the color of the previous fiber was fine, but I guess Muhle thought that if they changed the texture of the hair they might as well change its appearance too.

Performance: Here's the substance. I tested it with Klar Klassik soap and Proraso cream. Both times, it made wonderful lather (synthetic fibers usually do, even if they've never been recognized for it on this forum, so this was no surprise). And I noticed immediately when loading the brush on the puck of Klar that they have solved the "splay" issue. This synthetic fiber does NOT stick together like a tube, making loading from a soap and face-lathering awkward. It spreads on soap and on the face just like natural hair, behaves like natural hair, and most importantly, retains water and moist lather like natural hair. Lather does not dry out in this brush like it does with Omega and 2009 Muhle Synthetics.

In terms of water retention, it's comparable to boar. It lathers cream and soap as well as badger or boar. Both times I got mountains of lather. In terms of heat retention, there's room for improvement, but I'm not complaining. So if there are drawbacks here, like I said, first would be heat retention. Second would be more of a personal thing -- the loft and density of the knot is pure Muhle/EJ style, so the drawbacks that come with that type of brush are the same with this brush. For now, as this is a Muhle development, that's the only option. Perhaps in the near future we'll see other companies copying this fiber and using it to make shorter, denser brushes.

This is a huge step forward, quite an innovative triumph from Muhle. In a few years, synthetics could probably be true equals to badgers. In the coming days I'll test it with more creams and soaps, but I don't really think I'll uncover any drawbacks. So if this is truly the way that shaving brushes are moving, based on this evidence, I don't think anyone can really complain.

Is there a good online source for Muhle brushes in the US?

Last edited:
According to my sources at Mühle, the new V2 fibers are thinner, which allows more to be packed into a given knot size. This improves the density of the knot significantly. Mühle spent a good deal of time on the dyes and patterning of the V2 knot. I personally like the lofts of the brushes, but personal preferences vary.

I finally acquired a brush from 2008, and the differences are amazing.

$2008a synth.jpg

$SilvertipFibreline-up2.jpg

Last edited:
Huh. I have two of these brushes and I am a little confused. Here are the two brushes, a 21 and a 23 mm:

$IMG_2205 (800x600).jpg

The smaller one is actually slightly softer and floppier, though that's relative; both have spine enough and lather like mad. But I wasn't sure both were the new fibers, as they look a little different. But maybe, I thought, Muhle has gone so far with the life like thing that the synthetic brushes even show "natural" variations, brush to brush. A bit befuddled, I posted about this, and it was suggested I contact Muhle. I did, as well as Connaught, from whom I bought them. Muhle's man in Florida thought from the photo that the larger brush was the new stuff, but couldn't say for sure. He then suggested I order one from him, just to be sure I knew what I was getting. Okay . . .

Connaught said they thought BOTH brushes looked like the old fibre, which, based on when they shipped and the batches they had, seemed, to them, likely. That's confusing.

Looking at Codfish's photos, however, I'm inclined to believe they're both the v2 generation fibres, and not the old stuff. What do you gentlemen think?

Last edited:
Huh. I have two of these brushes and I am a little confused. Here are the two brushes, a 21 and a 23 mm:

The smaller one is actually slightly softer and floppier, though that's relative; both have spine enough and lather like mad. But I wasn't sure both were the new fibers, as they look a little different. But maybe, I thought, Muhle has gone so far with the life like thing that the synthetic brushes even show "natural" variations, brush to brush. A bit befuddled, I posted about this, and it was suggested I contact Muhle. I did, as well as Connaught, from whom I bought them. Muhle's man in Florida thought from the photo that the larger brush was the new stuff, but couldn't say for sure. He then suggested I order one from him, just to be sure I knew what I was getting. Okay . . .

Connaught said they thought BOTH brushes looked like the old fibre, which, based on when they shipped and the batches they had, seemed, to them, likely. That's confusing.

Looking at Codfish's photos, however, I'm inclined to believe they're both the v2 generation fibres, and not the old stuff. What do you gentlemen think?
Unless you purchased directly from Mühle after December 1st (and by special order), the brushes are likely to be V1. The V2 brushes began to appear after January 1st at vendors (at least that's my understanding). It is almost impossible to tell V1 from V2 visually. V2 lofts are shorter than V1, but only by a few millimeters.

And so the mystery deepens. Thanks for the update. I bought these in January, but I'm still unclear. I guess I will have to get one from Muhle and see. Can you tell by feel (or as Muhle calls it "haptic properties")?

And so the mystery deepens. Thanks for the update. I bought these in January, but I'm still unclear. I guess I will have to get one from Muhle and see. Can you tell by feel (or as Muhle calls it "haptic properties")?
Yes you can, and it is quite apparent, when you compare a true V2 to a V1. Unfortunately, there are no serial numbers or package marking to help.

To me it looks like v1 on the left and v2 on the right. The v2 (at least mine) has a thinner dark band, and the color below it is whiter.

This thread has really sparked my interest. I may have to pull the trigger on either the 21 or 23 to replace my HIS brush I have been using for travel.

One question if any of you own the Muhle and HIS brush. Do the Muhle brushes have more back bone than the HIS?

This thread has really sparked my interest. I may have to pull the trigger on either the 21 or 23 to replace my HIS brush I have been using for travel.

One question if any of you own the Muhle and HIS brush. Do the Muhle brushes have more back bone than the HIS?
Jim, the short answer is "Yes". The new V2 brushes have more backbone than any of their earlier versions, and certainly more than the H.I.S. In your order, be sure to request the V2 version ONLY. Ordering directly from Mühle will guarantee this. If you have an existing relationship with another vendor, check with them before ordering, and don't be tempted to get a V1--you will be happy that you took extra care.

Last edited:
The V2 brushes have noticeably thinner fibers. They also feel softer and silkier to the touch. The tips are softer and the brushes are denser and have greater backbone.

In that case, I'm definitely going with Aaron622's guess; the smaller, faux horn handled one on the right fits the criteria of the v2. The black handled one's fibers feel thicker and a bit less dense.

I've also got SWMBO's input. She described the smaller brush as "silkier" feeling, whereas she felt the larger one was "stiffer." Then she made a comment I am not going to repeat. But in a funny way, the greater "stiffness" of the bigger brush almost makes it feel like it's got more backbone. Either way, both brushes are lather monsters.

I just recieved today my 21mm v2 brush from connaught. If we go by the pictures and from Aaron's keen observation it is the V2. Anyway I shaved with it and on its maiden voyage all I can think to say is WOW---I sold my Duke3 yesterday in anticipation of this brush and all I can say is --Bye Duke and thanks for the memories but I won't miss ya

My Muhle just arrived !

proxy.php

proxy.php

First washing with White vinegar and then some swirling with a soap for a "break-in" lets say

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Dry and ready for the test
I will use it in face lathering soon.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
n00b question:

I'd love to try a nice Synthetic fiber brush, would the EJ Synthetics be pretty much the same product as the Muhle Synthetics? I found an EJ Synthetic 19mm (I don't mind a small size, my current brush comes across to me as too big) for $39.99 which is a tempting price. Should the performance be pretty much identical just with the EJ name attached?

The EJ and Muhle synthetics are the same thing, aside from possible differences in the handles. EJ products typically cost less than Muhle products if purchased in the U.S. due to EJ's better distribution arrangement in the U.S. As an option, you might want to check Connaught Shaving in UK, which sells the Muhle brushes at great prices--the tax is removed at checkout if you purchase the item from outside UK--and the shipping charge is minimal. It takes about three weeks to arrive.

Last edited:
I bought the two Muhles I have from Connaught, and it's impossible to tell whether they sent out new or old versions of the brush. See earlier in the thread for details.

Where is the best US source for the EJ synthetics? I'd go to WCS, and probably will call them, but the synthetic brushes don't appear on their website.

Top Bottom