What's new

Mugs, scuttles and bowls in Australia

So, for all the Aussies on B&B, what do you use as a shaving mug, scuttle or lather bowl (if anything)? Also, Does anyone know where to find shaving mugs, scuttles or lather bowls in Australia? I know some of the online retailers sell them but I'm also curious about generic stores which sell useful items.

Thanks in advance.

I'm in NZ I had to source a scuttle from the US, mugs and bowls shouldn't be hard to source though?

tried the shave shed?

My first lathering receptacle was a large coffee mug, but I found that too confining to whip up a good batch of lather. I then moved to the bowl of an expired room scent candle. This was a bit wider and lower (and also more attractive) and has a matching lid. This now does service as a rinsing bowl (I have a virtually flat basin which is a pain in the proverbial to clean if I use that as the rinsing station), so the bowl gets tipped down the drain when I'm done and leaves the basin 99% clean.

I now use a Dirty Bird 1.5 scuttle which I had shipped to me. It's a great piece and works very well.

It's not crucial to have a "proper" scuttle, but it was something I wanted and kind of needed because of my flat basin. A large soup mug or noodle bowl will do just as well.

This now does service as a rinsing bowl (I have a virtually flat basin which is a pain in the proverbial to clean if I use that as the rinsing station), so the bowl gets tipped down the drain when I'm done and leaves the basin 99% clean.

I now use a Dirty Bird 1.5 scuttle which I had shipped to me. It's a great piece and works very well.

It's not crucial to have a "proper" scuttle, but it was something I wanted and kind of needed because of my flat basin. A large soup mug or noodle bowl will do just as well.

I have one of those basins too and it is a real pain in the proverbial. I currently use a stainless steel bowl For rinsing but it's really a bit too big and it would certainly be no good for lathering. I've been face lathering but I'm finding it difficult to judge my lather this way and I'd like a mug, bowl or scuttle to add another option.

Those dirty bird mugs and bowls look pretty awesome but I'm a bit of a wuss with buying from overseas. Maybe I should just bite the bullet.

I have had a couple of items shipped from Australia, mainly hats and shipping is expensive this way, I don't know about going in your direction.

Have you considered trying to find a "local" potter who might be willing to make one.

I had a look a while ago to see if there were any local potters selling something like the modern scuttle. I checked Bendigo Pottery (fairly big pottery concern which sold casserole dishes to every daggy household in the 1970s) but they seem to be mainly focussed on crockery (not shavery).

+1 on biting the bullet. And given the shipping (IIRC it was about $25), and if your funds reach that far, I'd get a 1.0 scuttle in the alternative grooving pattern (as a spare) and I'd probably get a separate little matching bowl as well - I think these can nest within the scuttle so everything can be neat and tidy when not in use.

Otherwise, if you're keen, you could try approaching one of the industrial/design universities (such as RMIT) and seeing if one of their art/design students would model something for you as a project or a practice commission.

Or (and I actually weighed this up): rip out the flat basin and put in a proper sloping basin. That, however, may cost slightly more than shipping a scuttle from the US.:lol:

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
In Oz you would can be lucky browsing the op shop.

For creams and shave sticks I just face lather. I can't see the point of bowls or mugs.

For pucks, I just buy those small cylindrical clear plastic containers (meant for vegetables) with a scew on lid, that they sell at Reject shop for $1.50 or at Safeway for $2. These take most pucks. Alternately, you could just use the small round containers they put dim sims in from Chinese shops, but they're wider and have the clip-on lid.

From the cheap Chinese shops I buy a packet of sink strainers for $2 (the sort you put in the sink to stop stuff going down the drain). I put a strainer in the container, and the puck on top of it. This way it is easy to drain water out of the container, and the sink strainer (that the puck is sitting on top of), stops the bottom of the puck from getting mushy.

But if you really want to try a bowl or mug, there are plenty in the cheap chinese $2 shops that would do the job. For scuttles, you can find them relatively inexpensively on Ebay from the UK. Similarly, you can get wooden bowls with lids for soap pucks fairly inexpensively on Ebay too.
Regards,
Renato

Last edited:
For pucks, I just buy those small cylindrical clear plastic containers (meant for vegetables) with a scew on lid, that they sell at Reject shop for $1.50 or at Safeway for $2. These take most pucks. Alternately, you could just use the small round containers they put dim sims in from Chinese shops, but they're wider and have the clip-on lid.

Renato, do you have to take out the dim sims? I wonder what that might do to the lather (probably depends if they're steamed or fried).

:001_tt2:

I use a mug to soak my brush, but I face lather.

Someone in Tassie makes awesome scuttles (I have one, but forget the name of the potter), if you check out the great southern land thread all the details are in there. From memory they went for around 40-50 bucks

I have a Burts Bees apothecary mug that came with a balm and soap (Worst. Soap. Ever.)

I also use a cheap metal bowl bought from 2 dollar shop.

I have bought great bowls, Old Spice mugs and proper shave scuttles from local Op shops and crappy antique/old ware stores. All were $2 to $10 tops. All in perfect condition.
The chase is fun too.
Sunbird

I use the bowel my Nomad soap is in. While the soap is dry I bang it out, put it on the lid, load up then make the lather in the bowel. Space Saver!

Renato, do you have to take out the dim sims? I wonder what that might do to the lather (probably depends if they're steamed or fried).

:001_tt2:
The soy sauce can make some soaps work better - aesthetically, what's wrong with black instead of white soap?
Cheers,
Renato

I have bought great bowls, Old Spice mugs and proper shave scuttles from local Op shops and crappy antique/old ware stores. All were $2 to $10 tops. All in perfect condition.
The chase is fun too.
Sunbird

+1

When my kids are a bit older (and more civilised) I'll be more comfortable taking them antique hunting. I would imagine ye olde crappe shoppes would be stuffed to the gills with shavery that would be worthless to most people but priceless to those of us with, err, unique acquisition disorders.

Top Bottom