What's new

Mug Warmer

Has anyone tried using an electric coffee mug warmer for their shaving mug?

Think I'm gonna try it as a cheap experiment.

The brush scuttles look very pricey and who knows? It may just work better!

The one I have is a Mr. Coffee, and to be honest, I am not sure that the temperature is what you will be looking for. Doesn't keep the coffee hot, just warm.

The one I have is a Mr. Coffee, and to be honest, I am not sure that the temperature is what you will be looking for. Doesn't keep the coffee hot, just warm.
O.k. I lurked on Shave Den forum for answers and what I'm gonna do is first make the cream with glyce drops in my G20 scuttle.
That will stay warm. Then squeeze all the cream out of brush and back into bowl. Then I'm gonna rinse brush in hot water and dip it into cream using enough for thin base coat on face. Then rinse brush again and charge it with soap puck and face lather, repeat for each pass. This way I get to keep my uber lather and also don't have to buy anything or have plugged in electric devices next to a sink full of water.

Just warm is better... many lathers break down if they start to get too warm, and in a smaller mug it would be more difficult to work them back into shape.

I had thought of using one of those for a trial keep the brush/lather warm, but in the end I managed to trade for a DB scuttle. Looking forward to hearing how they work, cause if they do, I may add one to the travel kit. Much smaller and less breakable than a scuttle.

Please be careful around the water!! If your anything like me the counter top is soaked when finished. Other than that I say thats a good idea

I got my brother a DE shaving set-up for Christmas. I found a ceramic type (soup/cereal bowl) with handle at Walmart. It has a larger opening than a mug. Much easier to make lather with the larger opening.

I found a smaller non-handle ceramic bowl at Walmart to set inside the larger bowl. Fill the larger bowl with water and set your smaller lathering bowl inside the larger one. Place in the microwave for 145 seconds. Time is variable based on your microwave wattage. This setup does an acceptable job of keeping your lather warm. Total Cost with tax around 6.00 dollars.

Last edited:
I think that as you get into wet shaving more, that you'll find that just having warm lather will work better that hot lather. As has already been mentioned, the really hot lather will break down quickly. You'll find that really hot won't work as well. But by all means try it for yourself, and I'm quite sure you'll find that the warm is better.

O.k. I lurked on Shave Den forum for answers and what I'm gonna do is first make the cream with glyce drops in my G20 scuttle.
That will stay warm. Then squeeze all the cream out of brush and back into bowl. Then I'm gonna rinse brush in hot water and dip it into cream using enough for thin base coat on face. Then rinse brush again and charge it with soap puck and face lather, repeat for each pass. This way I get to keep my uber lather and also don't have to buy anything or have plugged in electric devices next to a sink full of water.
To all the gentlemen above this post: ahem
I'm ditching the mug warmer idea. I tried this method (w/o actually shaving cause I already shaved this a.m.) and it works perfect. I can keep my uber lather and the brush stays warm. I like the face lather method cause I have better control, I have a pinched chin and it's difficult to keep copious lather in the crease.

Top Bottom