What's new

Mühle Rytmo - my first proper safety razor

Hi, new member here. Up untill today I used only cheap safety razors or gillette, Bulldog. I had quiet a beard so cut it very short with scissors and started shaving. I bought a Mühle Rytmo set with bowl and brush, TOBS Almond shaving soap and aftershave. Seems, that I'm not experienced enough, as I had several cuts after shaving and I also needed to shave few areas on cheecks like 5 times same area, so I was expecting small rushes or distracted skin after shaving. I have Osma aftershave, which I think is very good and also some cologne, but haven't used cologne this shaving. I used Persona razor blades. What am I doing wrong please, how to improve the technique... To be precise the moustache was cut very short and anyway I needed to go through several areas like 5 times to shave it off, which surprised me, while having new quality razor blades. Thanks for any comments, ideas, opinions on what I'm doing wrong. Critique is welcomed as I want smooth experience. Thanks!

Hi, new member here. Up untill today I used only cheap safety razors or gillette, Bulldog. I had quiet a beard so cut it very short with scissors and started shaving. I bought a Mühle Rytmo set with bowl and brush, TOBS Almond shaving soap and aftershave. Seems, that I'm not experienced enough, as I had several cuts after shaving and I also needed to shave few areas on cheecks like 5 times same area, so I was expecting small rushes or distracted skin after shaving. I have Osma aftershave, which I think is very good and also some cologne, but haven't used cologne this shaving. I used Persona razor blades. What am I doing wrong please, how to improve the technique... To be precise the moustache was cut very short and anyway I needed to go through several areas like 5 times to shave it off, which surprised me, while having new quality razor blades. Thanks for any comments, ideas, opinions on what I'm doing wrong. Critique is welcomed as I want smooth experience. Thanks!
Hello there @AlaskanPug22 and welcome to B&B! This is a great place for shaving and grooming advice, and many things!

I'm not familiar with the Rytmo, but from photos it looks to be rather like the R89 head, or it may in fact be it. The R89 is quite a mild closed comb, so you were giving it quite a job with downing a scissor trimmed beard. It sounds like you did ok, all in all.

A lot of pre shave beard hydrating (wetting) may have eased the process, but a good open comb like the great and very inexpensive Fatip Piccolo would have seen that off in probably 3 passes. An oc is no more intimidating than many closed comb razors, and is probably tops at clearing a beard, or very heavy stubble without resorting to a straight razor.

I don't know how you plan to progress, regrowing the beard and removing it with occasional shaves, or keeping it off and shaving every 1-3 days, but I would check out

How to make a good lather
Mapping your beard growth
Pre and post shave routines

No doubt others will be along with better advice!

Hi and thanks for welcoming and reply. I do plan shave daily or every 2nd day, this was just a one time issue with the beard. I didn't want razer like A41 due to lack of experience and the set was reasonably well priced and I like the wooden handle of the razor stick Rytmo, so for me it was no brainer. Wish you nice evening and thanks for tips to look for.

Hi and thanks for welcoming and reply. I do plan shave daily or every 2nd day, this was just a one time issue with the beard. I didn't want razer like A41 due to lack of experience and the set was reasonably well priced and I like the wooden handle of the razor stick Rytmo, so for me it was no brainer. Wish you nice evening and thanks for tips to look for.
Here is everything you need to know WET SHAVING INSTRUCTIONS AND TUTORIALS: New? READ THIS THREAD! - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/wet-shaving-instructions-and-tutorials-new-read-this-thread.71700/

If you read and follow this B&B member information resource, you will be fine!

Good luck!

Welcome to B&B, AlaskanPug22.

You may not think so, but it sounds like you had a great first shave. You learned your razor can cut -- hopefully the cuts were just weepers rather than nicks, where you actually dug the blade in. You also found a trouble area -- your cheeks -- where your technique will need to be honed.

The nicks, weepers and irritation (not mentioned) can be reduced with proper handling of the razor. The razor's safety bar should rest gently and squarely against your skin while shaving. Never apply pressure. Let the razor and blade do all the work. This will take some practice, but it's fundamental to really good shaves.

Everyone's face is different. The way I get my right cheek smooth, takes three passes. On each pass I puff out my cheek while keeping my jaw open and lips closed. During my first two passes, from North to South then South to North, I mildly puff my cheek out -- keeping in mind that the razor's safety bar rests squarely and gently against my cheek. On the third pass I go primarily against the grain (against the direction of growth). This time I aggressively puff my cheek out (think of a trumpet player). The direction is from the jaw bone up diagonally toward the center of my face. This usually takes care of it. But sometimes I have to go back for further cleanup.

As you continue to shave you will learn to tackle other trouble areas. It's all part of the process. Over time you'll be amazed at your darn fine shaves. It just takes a little bit of time and practice.

Don't fear to ask questions. This forum has many friendly people willing to help -- and far more knowledgeable than me.

Oh hi, I'm very greatfull for explanation of your shaving technique, honestly, what I did was just passing razor on the face, but absolutely nothing like to puff the cheek with open jaw.... Isn't it more difficult to make such shave than when you go just straight udown and up(against the growth)? I will try it with cheek puffed, its new to me, haven't seen much videos on YouTube so far, but going to browse tomorrow. Thank you very much, every new technique and knowledge is important to me, very much appreciate. Yes, my skin was a little bit irritated mainly under the jaw, but nothing terrible... Good note. I don't think it's the products as I really spent on good ones... At least I think brands I mentioned are very much proven, like ToBS.
In two days will try to experiment more, ordered more soups, the aftershave or/and cologne will last long I think. Do you often change soaps and aftershave or you are loyal to one/two brands? Wonder if to create some favourite rotation, mainly that would match with each other. Opened to any suggestions. Wish you great evening and thanks once again

Welcome!

I have only been using DE razors for about a year, but what I have learned is to be very careful with putting pressure on the razor. Resist the urge to add pressure and instead make sure the angle is correct. Naturally this takes practice.

Cartridge razors are designed to be pressed on the face. You usually need far less pressure with a DE razor. A good rule of thumb is that the weight of the razor is sufficient (unless using a very light razor). You also need a good slick soap or shave cream layer so you can glide the razor over the skin at the correct angle.

I have also found it helps not to be in a hurry. While you're learning it helps to slow down and pay attention to the variables (angle, pressure, and prep). This has worked well for me and shaving has actually become an enjoyable pastime.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Welcome!

You chose an excellent razor and now you’ve chosen to hang with the bon vivants and libertines in a realm of soapy bacchanalia.

If you’re not deleting your cookies, switching to VPNs, and burying your computer in one quarry and your Ethernet card in another three states over, please consider reading this guide from @AimlessWanderer on consistently getting wicked good shaves:

Welcome!

You chose an excellent razor and now you’ve chosen to hang with the bon vivants and libertines in a realm of soapy bacchanalia.

If you’re not deleting your cookies, switching to VPNs, and burying your computer in one quarry and your Ethernet card in another three states over, please consider reading this guide from @AimlessWanderer on consistently getting wicked good shaves:

Thank you very much for welcoming, I'll definitely give it a read, have a nice day!

Welcome @AlaskanPug22

I can confirm as @Alum Ladd has deduced, the Mühle Rytmo is indeed the R89 head. Very good shaver.
Though it is categorized as a mild or tame razor, make no mistake that it is a great tool to develop and hone your technique. I would recommend sticking with this one before inevitably moving onto another razor so that you can build continuity and have a standard by which to test different blades to find which suit you the best.

Though I own many razors and brushes, most of my shaves with a Double-Edge come from this setup (ash handle). The badger which came in my kit is superbly underrated as well. It truly is one of my faves - it does everything well.

After spending a solid year trialing close to 50 distinct blades, the list below (in no particular order) is where I would steer if one were interested in sample packs for an R89:
  • Bolzano (Germany)
  • Gillette Minora | Plus
  • Gillette Rubie | Plus
  • Personna MedPrep
  • Personna Red (Israel)
  • Timor
  • Wilkinson Sword (Germany)
  • Wizamet | Polsilver Iridium

Like you I started my DE shaving with the Muhle Rytme set (Got it as a Xmas-present from my kids).
Now, 2 and a half years later I hardly ever use it. (switched to more effective razors)

But, as stated before, this is a fine razor to begin with and you can focus on technique.
I would advice to try a lot of different blades to see what suits you best.

Blades I liked most in combo with this razor:

Bic Chrome Platinum
Astra Superior Platinum
Gillette Perma-Sharp
Rapira Platinum Lux
Personna Lab Blue

Top Bottom