What's new

Mühle r89...Karve...Timeless

I have been wet shaving for about 3 years and I just love it. I started with "Mühle r89" and together with the razor blade "gillette silver blue" I found a very nice combo.

I also bought "Mekur Progress" but it became two much "blade feel". I have therefore stayed with "Mühle r89" until I got "Karve christopher bradley stainless steel" razor (b-plate) and together with "gillette 7 o'clock yellow" I also think this is a very good combo. I didn't think it was possible to get a more smoother razor then "Mühle r89" but there I was wrong. Karve with b-plate is so smooth that I hardly feel when it cuts and the only thing i'm missing is the sound that I get with "Mühle r89". Now I can switch between two razors that I am very happy with.

I have no idea why why I'm constantly looking for new equipment and products when I'm happy with what I already got, but
I've looked into Timeless and I think Titanium Polished is an absolutely beautiful razor, but I'm very curious what experiences you guys have with this razor if you can compare it with muhle r89 or Karve?
The only thing that worries me when I look at timeless is that it's similar to Merkur Progress, which I didn't like. It looks like the head is pretty similar?

Last edited:
Brother Harald,

If the Merkur Progress has too much blade feel for you, I suggest you dial it back to one of its lower settings.

That's the entire point of an adjustable razor, to tailor a razor to your unique face and technique. Respectfully, may I presume you were not using the Progress at its highest setting, to determine "how close of a shave you can get" or to validate your manhood, something so many guys (especially younger men) do. Properly used, an adjustable razor is to find the happy position of maximum comfort and maximum closeness.

I have tough "old man" whiskers. Personally I use my Merkur Progress on a setting of 3.5 and I double shim the Muhle R89 to pump up the aggression a bit. Both razors are outstanding! And I would never part with either.

It sounds to me you have reached the top of the mountain. It's time to stop climbing and to enjoy the view.

"I have no idea why why I'm constantly looking for new equipment and products when I'm happy with what I already got, but..." Well, everyone needs a hobby, don't they? There's nothing wrong with wanting to try different razors. Different razors shave differently. I have some that are good for daily shaving and others that I use only when I decide to skip a day or even a few days. Only buy what you can afford. Take great care of everything so in case you don't like it or just decide to move on, you can sell it - which can give someone else a chance to try it at a discounted price. I tried a SS Timeless - .68 if I recall - didn't care for it & returned it (too mild for me.)

The Timeless has more support under the blade than the Progress & there is a difference in the feel of the shave despite the similarity in looks. New Timeless come with a 30 day return policy whereas their used-scratch/dent don't. Since you have the Karve, you may want to consider trying a Karve open comb plate if you're just looking for something that provides a different feel/level of shave. I don't see anything wrong or weird with your feelings. Happy shaving.

Regrettably, I have no experience with the r89 or Progress. What I can say, from my experience over the past year, is branching out and trying a few different razors can radically alter your view.

I have been DE shaving for 3 years now. This time last year, I thought I'd only ever use a 'mild' razor. Since then, I took a dip into the world of vintages (Tech, Fatboy & Brit Aristocrat) and modern razors (ATT S1, Rex Ambassador, and Timeless 0.95 SB). Now I'm really enjoying moderately aggressive, efficient razors (Rex being my favorite). I'm a little slow--it took me a while to advance my technique.

I'd suggest taking it slow--looking out for razors that you think you might like and offer something new. Get to know each razor and its unique qualities with a variety of blades before moving too far ahead. Have fun!

I have been wet shaving for about 3 years and I just love it. I started with "Mühle r89" and together with the razor blade "gillette silver blue" I found a very nice combo.

I also bought "Mekur Progress" but it became two much "blade feel". I have therefore stayed with "Mühle r89" until I got "Karve christopher bradley stainless steel" razor (b-plate) and together with "gillette 7 o'clock yellow" I also think this is a very good combo. I didn't think it was possible to get a more smoother razor then "Mühle r89" but there I was wrong. Karve with b-plate is so smooth that I hardly feel when it cuts and the only thing i'm missing is the sound that I get with "Mühle r89". Now I can switch between two razors that I am very happy with.

I have no idea why why I'm constantly looking for new equipment and products when I'm happy with what I already got, but
I've looked into Timeless and I think Titanium Polished is an absolutely beautiful razor, but I'm very curious what experiences you guys have with this razor if you can compare it with muhle r89 or Karve?
The only thing that worries me when I look at timeless is that it's similar to Merkur Progress, which I didn't like. It looks like the head is pretty similar?

It’s been quite a few years since I last used a Merkur Progress, but I remember not getting particularly great shaves either.... on the lower settings it wasn’t efficient enough, on the higher ones it wasn’t particularly comfortable/ smooth.

I have been using a Karve for almost 2 years now, and my preferred SB baseplates are C and D.
I purchased a polished Titanium Timeless .95 last year, and love it, it’s a great balance between efficiency and incredible smoothness. The Titanium has a “softer” face feel, and makes it very manoeuvrable as it’s a bit lighter.
Even though the head looks a bit like the Merkur Progress, it’s a totally different shaver...

In your case the .68 plate might be better, since you prefer Karve SB-B, but it also depends on how often you shave, how many passes, etc, etc
You could always email Timeless for their view, they tend to reply fairly promptly and offer good advice, they helped me decide on which plate to choose.

I got the Karve delivered today and I used it for the first time. To me it rivals the king of smoothness, the Rockwell 6S. I think you have one of the smoothest safety razors in the world, the Karve. You can get other razors to remind you how good it is what you already have. I have many razors and I use and love them all and appreciate their differences.

I also have the REX ambassador and the Timelessness bronze. Both are super smooth, but a notch below the Karve and Rockwell 6s

I have never experienced the timelessness Ti, but I assume it is really good.
Here we are comparing Ferrari vs Lamborghini vs Bugatti vs McLaren if you know what I'm saying. You already have one if the very best safety razors out there. If you want a superior razor it will be pretty hard. If you just want another razor within the same "Super sport car" category there is nothing wrong with that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

That's the entire point of an adjustable razor, to tailor a razor to your unique face and technique. Respectfully, may I presume you were not using the Progress at its highest setting, to determine "how close of a shave you can get" or to validate your manhood, something so many guys (especially younger men) do. Properly used, an adjustable razor is to find the happy position of maximum comfort and maximum closeness.

I have tough "old man" whiskers. Personally I use my Merkur Progress on a setting of 3.5 and I double shim the Muhle R89 to pump up the aggression a bit. Both razors are outstanding! And I would never part with either.
Yes, you're absolutely right but I struggled with all the settings when i was using Merkur Progress, so I gave it up.

It must be two years since I had the last shave with Merkur progress but tried again this morning with Gillette silver blue and I now understand why I didn't like this razor. My technique was terrible! This morning I had a completely different experience at setting 3.5. I still feel the blade but it was a positive and comfortable shave. Not as smooth as Karve but a very good and different shave.
Thanks!

Yes, you're absolutely right but I struggled with all the settings when i was using Merkur Progress, so I gave it up.

It must be two years since I had the last shave with Merkur progress but tried again this morning with Gillette silver blue and I now understand why I didn't like this razor. My technique was terrible! This morning I had a completely different experience at setting 3.5. I still feel the blade but it was a positive and comfortable shave. Not as smooth as Karve but a very good and different shave.
Thanks!
Honestly, the Merkur progress is one of my favorite razors. At the beginning I thought it was to aggressive. All ajustables are different and I usually use setting 4 or 5. So I did the same when I first got the Merkur. After many uses and playing with different numbers, I discover that about 2-3 is right for me.

Now with better technique, I have managed to go all the way to 6 with no problems at all. I've done it just out of curiosity, but definitely 2-3 is ideal for me and then I dial it down to the minimum for my last pass.

Something I have found with more experience is that no matter how efficient or inefficient a razor is. No matter if it is heavy or light, or short or long, always, always the old rule, no pressure. Let the blade do the job.

For example a common mistake I used to make was to apply more pressure to mild razors like the Edwin Jagger DE89. I don't need more pressure on this case. I just need more passes

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Well, everyone needs a hobby, don't they? There's nothing wrong with wanting to try different razors. Different razors shave differently.
Yes, what makes this hobby quite special for me doesn't have to be the search for the best, but rather new and different experiences.

I'd suggest taking it slow--looking out for razors that you think you might like and offer something new. Get to know each razor and its unique qualities with a variety of blades before moving too far ahead. Have fun!
I'm glad I kept going with mühle r89 from the beginning. It makes it easier for me to find the right technique with other razorz

In your case the .68 plate might be better, since you prefer Karve SB-B, but it also depends on how often you shave, how many passes, etc, etc
I think you're right. Maybe I'll wait a bit and try out others razors with same gap, I'm addicted so I'll probably end up with timeless :)
I shave every other day on weekdays. 3 pass WTG-XTG-XTG. BBS is something I've worked for a long time to achieve and it's something that means a lot to me as the weekend approaches, then I have something to look forward to.

I don't think it would be the same if I managed BBS every day. It must be a challenge there, and when I talk about BBS I don't mean BBS-light. I got sensitive skin and I have to focus on the technique to get a BBS. Sometimes it works wonderfully, other times it doesn't. I can achieve BBS with mühle r89 but prefer the Karve. The feeling of after shave in the end it's just heaven.

Last edited:
You Karve is the perfect razor to learn on. They offer base plates on both SB and OC. They also go from AA through G, I think. What I find unique is that they tell you both the gap and exposure for every plate. I don't know what they charge for the SS plates, but the brass were only about $23 USD. What a great learning tool.

Top Bottom