What's new

Mühle R89 JET vs Weber DLC

As most of you probably know, on Monday, December 2, 2013; Mühle released a DLC coated version of their popular R89 razor. It was dubbed the JET and only 500 razors have been made. Many, like me, were curious to see how this razor compared to the, sadly discontinued, Weber DLC.

After an hour of negotiations with myself :biggrin1: I completed my order and promptly received a confirmation of my order. Fast forward to today and the UPS guy called me just before lunchtime to deliver my parcel.

proxy.php

What was waiting inside was a nicely wrapped and gorgeous matte black razor. I haven't had the pleasure to actually use the razor so here are some of my early thoughts...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Weight and feel
I had previously owned the regular chrome plated R89 that I eventually sold and from memory the R89 JET feels heavier in hand. Of course, it's not heavier than the stainless steel Weber, but heavier than the regular R89. I think part of this is due to the rubberised handle of the JET. In my opinion the rubberised is a welcome addition - chrome razors can be slippery when handled with wet hands. You still can't beat a deeply knurled piece of stainless steel, though.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Fit and finish
Fit and finish of both heads seems pretty much the same. Again, I still haven't shaved with the JET so I can't compare it to the DLC in that respect yet.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Conclusion
At first glance the limited edition Mühle R89 JET is a worthy competitor to the legendary Weber DLC. It is a solid feeling razor that also looks drop dead gorgeous in my opinion. I hope it shaves every bit as good.

Here are the remaining images for your enjoyment...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Well, how does the coating feels against your skin? Do you feel a difference between it and the regular R89?

Matjaz, I am awaiting the most important question; how does it shave compared to the famous Weber DLC!!!! I can't wait to hear your results, my friend.
It sure looks beautiful!

This Muhle DLC Razor is made of cheap metal and not Stainless Steel like the Weber, So I wouldn't dare call it a good competitor for that reason, but that is just me. Thanks for the pic's That Muhle Jet looks sweet. Please let us know how it shaves. :eek:)

As most of you probably know, on Monday, December 2, 2013; Mühle released a DLC coated version of their popular R89 razor. It was dubbed the JET and only 500 razors have been made. Many, like me, were curious to see how this razor compared to the, sadly discontinued, Weber DLC.

After an hour of negotiations with myself :biggrin1: I completed my order and promptly received a confirmation of my order. Fast forward to today and the UPS guy called me just before lunchtime to deliver my parcel.

proxy.php

What was waiting inside was a nicely wrapped and gorgeous matte black razor. I haven't had the pleasure to actually use the razor so here are some of my early thoughts...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Weight and feel
I had previously owned the regular chrome plated R89 that I eventually sold and from memory the R89 JET feels heavier in hand. Of course, it's not heavier than the stainless steel Weber, but heavier than the regular R89. I think part of this is due to the rubberised handle of the JET. In my opinion the rubberised is a welcome addition - chrome razors can be slippery when handled with wet hands. You still can't beat a deeply knurled piece of stainless steel, though.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Fit and finish
Fit and finish of both heads seems pretty much the same. Again, I still haven't shaved with the JET so I can't compare it to the DLC in that respect yet.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Conclusion
At first glance the limited edition Mühle R89 JET is a worthy competitor to the legendary Weber DLC. It is a solid feeling razor that also looks drop dead gorgeous in my opinion. I hope it shaves every bit as good.

Here are the remaining images for your enjoyment...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Its so beautiful.

This is the only razor that is fully DLC coated right? Talked about being unique. I can't even phantom the resale price of these razors in a year (once its confirmed that this is a limited edition run).

Are you able to see what is below the DLC coating? Like what type of material?

First use of the Mühle R89 JET today. It was very nice. It is heftier than the regular R89 and the rubberised handle helps a lot in terms of grip. When using a chrome razor it can sometimes feel like it's going to slip out of your hands every second - not the case with the JET.

The DLC coating of the head also improves the shave in my opinion. Loaded with a fresh Polsilver SI, the razor was able to cut through my one and a half day of stubble without any problems. The audible feedback is very similar to that of a Weber DLC. I think both DLC coated razors sound different to most other razors. The audible feedback is a tiny bit more high pitch in my opinion.

proxy.php

Second shave with the R89 JET. The shave was super smooth and comfortable. 2 minor weepers that were gone once I rinsed my face with some cold water.

I can't help but be a bit annoyed that I ordered mine on Tuesday and yet my order still shows "in progress". :)

Jealous of you guys...

I've been slow to update this thread, sorry...

proxy.php

I didn't really need to shave today as I barely had any noticeable stubble from yesterday's shave. However, shaving is such a pleasure for me that I whipped up some lather and had a quick shave. The Mühle was great again - not too aggressive and very efficient, plus no weepers. It's really a joy to handle this razor, because it feels so secure in my hands. I sold my chrome R89 a few months ago, because I got average shaves from it and the handle could get slippery. The DLC coating certainly aids towards a smoother shave, even if ever so slightly. Mühle did something special here and I applaud them. I'm sure the vast majority of the 500 owners of this razor will feel the same.

Gents, I have made an alarming discovery when I disassembled my razor today... The underside of the top cap has two spots where the DLC coating has already been stripped. :sad: These two spots are around the two cylindrical posts where the blade sits, so I think glue spots on the Polsilver might be the culprit.

I'll post a picture tomorrow and maybe send it to Mühle as well to see if there is a chance of a replacement (highly unlikely).

15 minutes ago I heard from Mühle, who offered to send me a replacement top cap free of charge. A very nice gesture indeed.

Now I think I can share the pictures of the damage without any guilt of going behind their back:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sixth shave with the Mühle R89 JET and the final one on this blade. During the second pass it became obvious that the blade is due to be replaced and I got 3 small weepers today. Otherwise, it was enjoyable as always. Next few shaves will be with the Weber DLC and a fresh Polsilver SI and I will give my thoughts as to how these razors compare.

The past 6 shaves were with the new Mühle R89 JEt and the next 6 shaves will be with the Weber DLC so I'll be able to compare them directly after using the DLC and not go from memory. I think this will be a fair way of comparing both razors.

Anyway, the DLC definitely feels heavier in the hand, thanks to the stainless steel handle. Both handles are a joy to hold during the shave, though. The JET's rubberised handle feels positively sticky while shaving and the DLC's Bulldog handle achieves a similar feeling with the superb deep knurling. The shaving experience with the Weber DLC was milder than the Mühle JET, but it was effective as well. The only problem area for my DLC is a small patch on the right side of the neck, which the DLC is never able to shave - the JET excels here. One think I also noticed is that the head of my DLC can sometimes get a bit warm during my shaves as if the friction of the skin is heating the razor. Strange, indeed.

proxy.php

Great shave from the DLC as per usual. I even shaved my neck line like I did with the Mühle so that the blade will undergo the same kind of use. However, there are a few spots that have a tiny bit of whiskers left. Nothing major, but the Mühle R89 JET is slightly better in terms of closeness. Do note that I have one of the milder Weber DLC razor - not all are this mild.

I must also praise the Polsilver SI blades. They work superbly in any razor I have. A fantastic blade, indeed.

Top Bottom